Northeast Regional discussion 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a reservation, this may result in a no show at Metropark and result in your reservation being canceled. It would be better to change your reservation to Trenton, plus you might get a little money back.
We booked awhile ago, Tickets to and from Trenton would be about $45.00 more Northbound and another $ 45.00 more Southbound. So don't think I really want to change tickets we have to Trenton.

We booked awhile ago, Tickets to and from Trenton would be about $45.00 more Northbound and another $ 45.00 more Southbound. So don't think I really want to change tickets we have to Trenton.
You don’t have to change your ticket. Reservations aren’t canceled if you board another 20 minutes away. I have daily experience in the matter.

You don’t have to change your ticket. Reservations aren’t canceled if you board another 20 minutes away. I have daily experience in the matter.
Perhaps someone in the know can explain when there are times you can board a train at a different stop than what you are ticketed for, and when you can't. Is it different for the NEC than it is for other trains? Or is it based on how far apart the stations are? If I am ticketed to board a westbound Regional in Boston and instead I decide to board at NYP would that work also?

Perhaps someone in the know can explain when there are times you can board a train at a different stop than what you are ticketed for, and when you can't. Is it different for the NEC than it is for other trains? Or is it based on how far apart the stations are? If I am ticketed to board a westbound Regional in Boston and instead I decide to board at NYP would that work also?
No it wouldn't, you'd need to change your ticket.( Long Distance Trains and NEC Trains are different, mostly dur to the distances between Stops)

See Acela 150s Post above, he is an AC on the NEC.

Last edited:
Considering that I am a Conductor for the company you can trust me. 😉 I will book tickets from South Station and board at Route 128 frequently as my kids have family in the area.

I’ll also add that each crew scans tickets differently. However most crews follow a pattern of when they’ll scan.

The question is still not clearly answered....at what point in time, or distance perhaps, is someone on a reserved seat or sleeper accommodation considered a "no show", and their reservation is canceled, allowing resale? 🤔

Is it variable by route?

The question is still not clearly answered....at what point in time, or distance perhaps, is someone on a reserved seat or sleeper accommodation considered a "no show", and their reservation is canceled, allowing resale? 🤔

Is it variable by route?
I’ll ask around to see if I can get an answer on that. Cause it is a good question.

Is it variable by route?
For long distance trains, tickets were voided if not scanned within two hours of departing the ticketed station. That voided all subsequent segments on that reservation.

Not sure if non-NEC corridors had a shorter time limit. I am reasonably sure the NEC did.

I had my return PDX-EVR voided on the Cascades when the conductor failed to scan my ticket/check me off on the manifest when I boarded at EVR. I was the only BC passenger boarding at EVR, so they knew I was on. I think they meant to just check me off without bothering to scan, got busy and forgot.

The result was Amtrak reinstated my return, but in coach. I lost my BC seat. A disappointment, not a catastrophe.

The consequences of a missed scan on a sleeper trip with connections would be much greater. Since that incident, I have made darn sure my ticket was scanned by the conductor on sleeper trips, even if I had to chase the conductor down (which I have done). I didn't trust to the attendant informing them of my presence and their checking me off. The consequences of a missed scan, losing all subsequent sleepers, was too great to risk not ensuring a valid scan in person. I also always made sure to put returns, and any other overnight layovers, on separate reservations to put firebreaks in my trips.

There have been reports that Amtrak has stopped voiding tickets for "no-shows". I cannot confirm that and will not change my practice of ensuring a valid scan.

Back