ny to grand canyon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
myself, hubby and 2 kids (7 and 9) are thinking of taking a train(s) to the grand canyon next year. we took a train once from newark to sanford, had a sleeping 'room' (i don't remember what it was called, but it slept the 4 of us and had a bathroom/shower in the room). we really enjoyed the 'adventure' of taking the train and enjoyed our private room and the dining car.

in looking at the train routes, it seems we'd go from NY (poughkeepsie) to albany to chicago, then to the grand canyon. It seems the train(s) to chicago from NY don't have sleeping rooms with private bathrooms... is that right? My husband wouldn't do it if that's the case.

Is there another route we could take? or then I'm thinking we don't do the grand canyon by train, but go somewhere else by train that offers a better train experience... we ust started homeschooling and can go whenever, and want to start taking the kids to different parts of the country to learn history, etc, and the train just seems so relaxing and fun.

any suggestions?

Liz, the train from NY is the only train that has a toilet in every room. The train from Chicago only has toilets in the Bedrooms, the larger room choice. Otherwise you have to walk down the hall to the public toilets.

That said, with your family you might still be better off going first to DC on a regular train with just coach seats. Then you could board the Capitol Limited train #29 to Chicago. That train offers a family room that has two adult beds and two child sized beds. That assumes that your two kids are under 4' 9" or so in height. That same type of room is offered on the SW Chief train #3 out of Chicago.

The one draw back to the family room is that there is no toilet in the room. You have to walk down the hall to one of the three bathrooms located in the center of the car.

If a bathroom in your room is a must, then your only choice is to get a bedroom suite, which is simple two bedrooms with a center connecting door that has been opened up. This would actually give you two private bathrooms. But this would be a far more expensive option.

Last edited by a moderator:
The requirement for a private room for two adults and two children with a private toilet and shower in the room limits the options. Given that, here goes.

Between Poughkeepsie and Chicago, the train is the Lake Shore Limited. The sleeping cars on this train are Viewliners. The option for a room with a private bath with shower is to book two Bedrooms in what is called a "Bedroom Suite". Each Bedroom sleeps two, and the two bedrooms will have a sliding door between them that can be opened to make one large room for four. Each Bedroom has a private toilet with shower, and a basin.

The Viewliner cars also have rooms called "roomettes." These are very small rooms for two. Each Viewliner roomette has a toilet and a wash basin. But the toilet and wash basin are not enclosed, so if two actually use the room, the logistics are less than desirable (at least in my opinion).

Between Chicago and Williams Junction, AZ, the train is the Southwest Chief. That train uses double-deck Superliner equipment. The Superliner sleeping cars only have one room with enclosed toilets and showers - called a Bedroom (same as the Viewliner). Just like the Viewliner, the Superliner Bedroom can sleep two. Also like the Viewliner, two adjoining Bedrooms can be booked and the connecting door opened to form a bedroom suite.

The Superliner also has what is called a Family Room, which you might want to consider. The Family Room, located on the lower level of the car, has two adult beds and two small child beds. It does not have private facilities. However, three toilets rooms and the car shower room are located right outside the door on the lower level. There are only a couple of rooms down there, so the three toilets are rarely all occupied. My family (me especially) is very picky about stuff like that, and we used a Family Room several years ago between Denver and San Francisco. It worked out fine. In fact, the little "buffer" space between the family in the room and the toilet outside the room can sometimes be appreciated by both parties. Admittedly, it is nice to have facilities in the room, but the Family Room situation is, in my opinion, not a bad deal.

The downside of the Bedroom Suite option is cost. You pay for two Bedrooms and that can be a very expensive tab.

And, may I add one more thing: Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!
:) Depending on how small your kids are you may also possibly fit into a deluxe bedroomon the superliner trains which have a shower and bathroom in the room-its much less expensive than

getting two made into a suite-Alan is right about the family bedroom, lots of room, windows on both sides,

also the earlier you book the cheaper the fares (low bucket vs. higher prices)>The forum told me the GrandCanyon

train no longer uses steam engines but people say the trip is a hoot and congrats :) to yall for wanting your

kids to experience this wonderful and beautiful land!!!!!"BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

...Depending on how small your kids are you may also possibly fit into a deluxe bedroomon the superliner trains which have a shower and bathroom in the room-its much less expensive than

getting two made into a suite.
Amtrak will not book two adults and two children into a single bedroom.

Tell hubby that i would not be concerned about the lack of a restroom in your sleeping car room. They are conveninetly located just a short distance away and there are showers available, too.

Another option not previously mentioned is the combination of a bedroom and a roomette if you can get the two rooms within an acceptably close distance from each other. It's still a little pricy but significantly lower that a bedroom suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back