Opinions Needed on LD Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which LD Trip is your choice?

• Total voters
This was a difficult decision as to which route to choose. I have done Eastbound and Westbound on CZ (when Desert Wind was part of the train) and EB, but only Eastbound on SWC. I have only been on Cardinal from Chicago to Cincinnati, but am well aware of the scenic part of the trip as the train travels East.

I chose EB to Card. I personally find the trip along Puget Sound, through the Cascades, then Glacier Park, the plains of Montana and North Dakota's scenery that now includes sightings of oil fields to hold my interest. Traveling along the Mississippi River in Minnesota and then through Wisconsin's farm lands adds to my enjoyment.

The CZ's scenery is also first rate, particularly in Colorado, Utah (early morning landscapes that appeared when I awoke were almost surreal), and Nevada: I also enjoyed. Once into California, however, I lost interest in much of the scenery.

As others who have posted have stated, I strongly suggest at least a one day buffer in Chicago between the two train trips. Personally, I found a continuous rail journey on the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Los Angeles and then connecting with that day's SWC without a day in LA to be just a bit too much rail travel without a brief break between them.

You asked for "my choice." My choice would be the Southwest Chief to the Cardinal. While I agree that the CZ scenery is unmatched, the Chief also has spectacular scenery and its existence is threatened. Also, from a practical standpoint, you will find it much easier for you and your mother to obtain a Lounge seat for the most scenic portions of the Chief than aboard the Zephyr. Plus, I'm a big fan of the history and tradition of the Santa Fe trail and Cyrus Holliday's railroad.

I've never been on either the Cardinal or the Lake Shore Limited. That said, I don't like what I've heard about the "fresh & contemporary" boxed meals and would want to stay as close to a real dining car as possible.

I voted for the CZ and Cardinal. That will offer the best scenery, the most time on the train, and hot meals the whole way. The CZ undoubtedly has the best scenery in the Amtrak system, and the Card has got to be the most scenic route east of Chicago. I've personally found that the LSL's route can be kind of bleak and the crew are often pretty rude and often unprofessional.

So yeah, #6 to #50 is my vote.
Although #6 to #50 is my choice as well, I'd actually prefer doing it westbound.

The reason is connecting TO the Cardinal. In the summer, I've learned the hard way over the last 10-15 years not to try connecting to the Cardinal or the Capitol Ltd as there's only 2.5 hrs to make the Cardinal, and 3.5 hrs for the Capitol Ltd. These days, I usually take my vacation in May and take the 'safe' way out, the Lakeshore Ltd. Even THAT can be tight if trains from the west are running more than 3-4 hrs late.

I did the Empire Builder to the Lakeshore this past April (I moved up my vacation) and I knew there was an expected 1 hr delay after LaCrosse, and we came in pretty close to 5:30, making the Cardinal an impossibility for anyone not reasonably familiar with Chicago Union Station and having no checked baggage. 5-6 years ago, I missed the connection #8 to #30. 3 years ago, we were bused from #6 to #50 Galesburg to Indianapolis.

The growing unpredictability of making connections from LD train to LD train is cause for concern. 30 years ago, I routinely connected from #14 to #28 at Portland several times per year while traveling on business. Never missed the connection even once. This year, I wisely spent the night in Portland. The day I arrived at PDX, I would have made #28 with about an hour to spare. The next day, when I left on #28, #14 was still 2 hours away from Portland. Just today, I had a planned 4 hr layover at NYP after getting off the Crescent from NOL. We arrived about an hour late, so I was safe. There were times we were down about 90 minutes enroute, but schedule padding plus some multiple delays on NS due to freights only gained us about 30 minutes.

Plan B: Spend a night in Chicago and be a tourist for a day, then take the Cardinal!

I ran the idea by my Mom tonight. She sounded into the idea. But when I mentioned going this spring she then said maybe the spring 2020. [emoji53] So I’ll still go this upcoming year with a friend and I can do more railfanning stuff that way. [emoji23]

Love the CZ and Cardinal! Have done Cardinal numerous times to/from Cincinnati and NJ, but did the Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago and connected to the CZ to Emeryville this past May. Just turned 60 and stayed in a roomette. Awesome trip!

I would say do the SWC and Cardinal. The CZ may be more scenic and the LSL may be faster and cheaper, but the SWC/Cardinal are two of the more vulnerable routes. I did both on my big first time cross country trip this year and it was great.

I have taken the LSL many times, however, may I suggest the Capital to Washington (Please DO NOT transfer to at Pittsburgh, I have done that as well, westbound is only a little bad, eastbound is horrible) South of Pittsburgh there is some very nice scenery. I found this out by accident as I was flying to visit the folks. I took a cheap flight but had to change at Washington National (sic). All flights out that afternoon were canceled and I couldn't get rescheduled until early the next morning. I was flying to Detroit but as my destination was Toledo I headed to Union station and was able to just make the Capitol. I made it home before my early morning flight was scheduled to leave. The scenery north of Washington is quite nice.

I have taken the Empire builder and I do think that is quite impressive as well. In a couple of weeks I will be on the CZ for my first time. I am looking forward to that train as well.

Good luck that sounds like a fun trip.

Back