Points for LCH to WPT and back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We've been home 2 weeks from our LD Amtrak trip, so it's time to start planning another!

If we ride from LCH to WPT, then catch the next EB westbound back to SAC, catch the Zephyr to DEN, spend a few nights, rent a car and drive to Raton and catch the Chief to LAX and the SL to LCH, how many AGR points would that take? We usually get a roomette. The only place we really want to spend any nights is in Colorado, but any other necessary nights would be ok. I hope this isn't too confusing. We just want to ride as far as we can. We love Amtrak. Thank you for any help.

Here is my guess. I think you can do it as three trips:

• LCH to WPT via Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight and Empire Builder – 2 zones
  • WPT to SAC to DEN via Empire Builder, Coast Starlight and California Zephyr – 1 zone
  • RAT to LAX to LCH via Southwest Chief and Sunset Limited – 2 zones

Last edited by a moderator:
LCH to WPT would probably be routed via LAX and PDX and may (unless your lucky) will be 2 zones. WPT to DEN is 1 zone award. And if you just want to spend all (from about 8 am until about 10 pm) without staying overnight, I believe the routing from RAT to LCH would be a 2 zone award!

If this is all done in a Roomette, the total would be 55,000 points FOR 1 or 2!

• LCH-WPT = 20,000
  • WPT-DEN = 15,000
  • RAT-LCH = 20,000

Last edited by a moderator:
LCH to WPT would probably be routed via LAX and PDX and may (unless your lucky) will be 2 zones. WPT to DEN is 1 zone. Since Raton to LAX is a 2 zone award, and the 2nd zone begins in Trinidad (IIRC 1 stop away), I would buy a coach ticket for that short segment, and then get a 1 zone award from TRI to LAX. And then LAX to LCH would be a 2 zone award. And if you just want to spend all (from about 8 am until about 10 pm) without staying overnight, I believe the routing from TRI to LCH would be a 2 zone award!

If this is all done in a Roomette, the total would be 55,000 points FOR 1 or 2!

• LCH-WPT = 20,000
  • WPT-DEN = 15,000
  • TRI-LCH = 20,000
raton to lax is 1 zone. raton is the first stop west of trinidad

If I were taking this trip, I'd plan on stopping earlier than Wolf Point. I like dusty Montana cow towns, but in general my fondness for the Empire Builder's stops in Montana increases as you head west (though I prefer Malta to Shelby). Plus, on such a long train trip, I find it nice to walk around for a few hours before continuing the trip.

I agree. During the summer, the eastbound EB stops at East Glacier in the morning (about 8-9 am IIRC), you'll have all day to spend at Glacier NP, then you can board the westbound EB at 7-8 pm! :excl:

And the point total is the same as above.

Back