Question about walking to/from Penn Station to Moyinhan Train Hall via LIRR Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjemartin

Train Attendant
Hello, I was wondering if one arrives in the old Penn Station (NYP) on the Amtrak level, how does one get to the LIRR corridor so that they can walk to Moyinhan without going outside and trying to brave the traffic? I've been to Penn Station many times, but just transferring from one Amtrak train to another and have no idea how to get to the LIRR corridor

Thank you for your help

Hello, I was wondering if one arrives in the old Penn Station (NYP) on the Amtrak level, how does one get to the LIRR corridor so that they can walk to Moyinhan without going outside and trying to brave the traffic? I've been to Penn Station many times, but just transferring from one Amtrak train to another and have no idea how to get to the LIRR corridor

Thank you for your help
If on the Amtrak/NJT level, depending on where you are you can either:
-head towards 7th Ave. Opposite the NJT area, turn left and you'll see escalators down to the LIRR level.
-head towards 8th Ave. In the middle of the old Amtrak concourse are stairs and escalators down to the LIRR level.

In either case, once down, keep walking north in the direction of descending ascending track numbers. Both corridors will T into the "central concourse" of the LIRR level. Turn left.

Head towards the A/C/E subway station. Don't go up to the subway but continue on. You are now in the West End Concourse. When you come around the corner the escalator up to Moynihan will be pretty much in front of you. It's kind of opposite the West End Concourse's Track 18 & 19 gate.

I don't know how you are arriving. Only Amtrak and NJT really use the Amtrak/NJT level. If you are arriving on Amtrak, just walk west down the platform when you arrive and take the very last escalator on that end. That one comes up in Moynihan. If coming in on NJT, use the instructions in the first paragraph. Just exit the NJT area towards the rest of Penn and the escalators down to LIRR level will be pretty much in front of you on the other side of the main corridor.

If coming in on the subway, both the A/C/E and the 1/2/3 pretty much exit on the LIRR level if you don't choose to exit to the street.

Last edited:
As AmtrakBlue said, stay on the train platform (do not go upstairs) and walk west on the platform following the numerous signs pointing to the Moynihan Train Hall. It is almost all the way at the end of the platform. There will be an escalator and elevator to take you up to the train hall level.

If you happen to find yourself in the concourse level of the old Penn Station, follow the signs for the A-C-E subway station (8th Avenue). Pass through the station walking west (free area), follow signs for Moynihan, and up the escalator or elevator to the train hall. Both routes will avoid crossing 8th Avenue outdoors.

In either case, once down, keep walking north in the direction of descending track numbers. Both corridors will T into the "central concourse" of the LIRR level. Turn left.
Just one nit in an otherwise excellent post. Walking North, would be walking towards ascending track numbers. The lower numbered tracks are on the South side (31st St side), the higher tracks numbers are towards the North (33rd St side).

If you are getting off a train and are disoriented, not an unusual condition for completely normal human beings, best to ask a Conductor, some of whom will be hanging out on the platform usually, the way to the Moynihan Train Hall.

Back