Roomette Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I was planning on having dinner at one of the earlier seatings, to avoid them running out of certain items. What time do they normally convert the roommetts? I can see my getting back from dinner say 6:30 PM and have no place to sit because it has been converted already.

I was planning on having dinner at one of the earlier seatings, to avoid them running out of certain items. What time do they normally convert the roommetts? I can see my getting back from dinner say 6:30 PM and have no place to sit because it has been converted already.
Whenever you ask them to. There is no set time until you tell them.

I don't think you really need to worry about them running out of certain items (ketchup? blue cheese dressing?).

Your attendant will only convert your room after asking you, and that includes never converting it if that is your wish.

I don't think you really need to worry about them running out of certain items (ketchup? blue cheese dressing?).

Your attendant will only convert your room after asking you, and that includes never converting it if that is your wish.
I came back from dinner on the Empire Builder last September to find my bed made, without me asking for it. As I recall, I was one of the last seatings dinner, but, still ...

As other's have stated, there is no set time. It's when you ask the attendant to do so.

I've had mine set at 11 PM - but only because the attendant asked me, because he was going off duty for the night! (Yes, even they sleep! :rolleyes: ) But if you want it set at 8 PM, they will do it. If you want it set at 5 PM, they will do that too.

As other's have stated, there is no set time. It's when you ask the attendant to do so.
I've had mine set at 11 PM - but only because the attendant asked me, because he was going off duty for the night! (Yes, even they sleep! :rolleyes: ) But if you want it set at 8 PM, they will do it. If you want it set at 5 PM, they will do that too.

I usually ask the attendant what time he/she usually goes to bed. Some try to get a couple of hours of sleep during the night if there are no scheduled stops during that time. Sometimes, an attendant from another car will cover for your attendant, so the time thing isn't as big an issue. In any case, just ask them when you board about their general schedule, then let them know how you would like to do things. Most of the time, they will do what you want......but, sometimes they are not so easy to work with....those are the ones who usually don't see a tip from me.

In terms of running out of certain food items-

When I took the CS last summer, we often took the later seatings at lunch and dinner. They were almost always out of at least one of the options, both for the main dish and dessert.

Oh I thought it was...alright go ahead and laugh...I thought it was like a cruise. When you leave for dinner, the magically transform the room.

When I rode the CZ in March the SCA set mine when I asked her too. Right after dinner, I was so tired and I crashed. She left it down for me the next day, because I asked her too. It was neat just to stretch back and relax while winding through the Rockies.

On the CS it came into SAC at around midnight and my bed was already down, which made me so happy as I was so tired by then.

On The EB I asked him to put it down each night around 9ish and he did.

Oh I thought it was...alright go ahead and laugh...I thought it was like a cruise. When you leave for dinner, the magically transform the room.
Not so much on the train although some times when you go to breakfast your room does magically transform back to seats.

Not so much on the train although some times when you go to breakfast your room does magically transform back to seats.
So are you saying there's a bunch of fairy godmothers on the trains with magic wands zapping all those beds into seats & vice versa? :lol: :lol: Which train were you on? And what did you drink for breakfast??? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

In all my years, I have never had my room change from day-to-night, or night-to-day, without the Attendant asking first.

In all my years, I have never had my room change from day-to-night, or night-to-day, without the Attendant asking first.
Seriously here,not joking.

In my 61 years of travel I do not recall ever having returned to my room from breakfast without the bed being made up automatically. If it has ever not happened at all, it would just be 1 or 2 times. I normally ask for a 6 a.m. wakeup call-- that tips them off to fact that I am in the diner. And thus 99.999999 percent of the time I come back to a nice clean room. Without having asked.

But at night they either ask me what time I want the bed down or I let them know. About the only time I can remember them doing it without asking is if the I am boarding very late, like 2 a.m. Seems like one night the n.b. Crescent was about four hours late out of ATL, that would be about mdinight, and the bed was already down.

For what it's worth, I've had the attendant knock on the door and ask us to leave the room so he could convert it. His tone of voice sounded pretty non-negotiable, so we didn't try to suggest that he come back when we went to eat.

For what it's worth, I've had the attendant knock on the door and ask us to leave the room so he could convert it. His tone of voice sounded pretty non-negotiable, so we didn't try to suggest that he come back when we went to eat.
As someone pointed out they have to sleep too so maybe it was nearing his bed time :p

I'd say that maybe 80% of the time I return from breakfast I've found the room converted back to a daytime configuration, the remainder I've either done it or quickly found the attendant and got them to do it.

I have hit a few situations where I returned to my room in the evening to find my room already set for the evening, however I believe that all of those were on the Lake Shore and maybe once on the Capitol Limited all out of Chicago, where it's already later in the evening to begin with. So I usually try to mention to the attendants when I board out of CHI, to not make up my room or at least the lower bed, but to just prep the upper bunk and I'll lower it when I'm ready.

When I travel alone, I like to have the upper bunk turned down and the bottom bunk left alone (in a roomette). This way I can get up in the night and just sit in my chair . . .

It also allows me to keep my table out for my laptop to watch movies.

As mentioned elsewhere, though, I prefer sleeping on the lower level because of the sway, so it's a paradox just about every time I get a sleeper. I never know what I want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that maybe 80% of the time I return from breakfast I've found the room converted back to a daytime configuration, the remainder I've either done it or quickly found the attendant and got them to do it.
I have hit a few situations where I returned to my room in the evening to find my room already set for the evening, however I believe that all of those were on the Lake Shore and maybe once on the Capitol Limited all out of Chicago, where it's already later in the evening to begin with. So I usually try to mention to the attendants when I board out of CHI, to not make up my room or at least the lower bed, but to just prep the upper bunk and I'll lower it when I'm ready.

Just 80 percent?

Why am I so lucky? I swear and declare that I return from breakast to find my bed made up nearly 100% of the time.

Am I living right or something ? :p :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back