Salt Lake City station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrimble

Train Attendant
I will be arriving into SLC from the CZ AT 11.05pm. Are there usually cabs/taxis outside or would I need to book one in advance?

Also I have read that quite often the train is late, is that accurate?

Thanks.

Salt Lake City has an Intermodel Station that is served by Amtrak (the California Zephyr), AmBuses,Greyhound,the Front Runner Commuter Rail System and the Blue Line of Traxx, Salt Lakes Light Rail System that will get you to the Airport!They Stop Running Fairly Early(like 11PM) and Don't Run on Sunday (Utah is strongly Mormon)So Wont Be Of Use To You!

The Zephyr is usually Late but Unless Something happens not Terribly So! There will be Taxis @ the Station as this is a Busy Place but in Case they get Snagged by others the amtrak Agent will Call One for you in the Amtrak Shack! (Each Means of Transportation have their own Building!) The train stops in Front of the Amtrak Station but you have to get Off on the Far Side of the Train and walk a Couple of Hundred Yards on the Platform to the Engine where you will Cross the Tracks to where Amtrak is Located! Since there is Checked Baggage, the Agent has to Load/Unload it and this is also a Crew Change and Service Stop so the train is Scheduled for a 30 Minute Stop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim

I'm going to a hotel & then to Vegas the next day by bus. I hope the train isn't terribly late as I don't want to be out in a strange city in the middle of the night. What do mean by late - I know you don't know an exact figure but are we talking hours or minutes?

Thansk again.

Also should have asked how does checked baggage work? Do they take it off you at the station you are boarding at & bring it off again when you reach your destination same as an airport? Does it come off on a carousel?

Also should have asked how does checked baggage work? Do they take it off you at the station you are boarding at & bring it off again when you reach your destination same as an airport? Does it come off on a carousel?
Hate to sound Like a Lawyer and say it Depends, :giggle: but each Station has their Own Procedures! Generally you Check your Luggage with the Agent when you Check in at the Agents Counter but Large Stations have Separate Luggage Check-In/Pick up Rooms or Counters!(Chicago Union Stations Claim Room is Llike an Airport Luggage Claim Kiosk)

When it comes to De-Training, some Small Stations let you Pick up your Luggage train Side as it's taken off the Train, others have the Luggage Inside the station either @ the Counter or @ the Luggage Room! If you tell us the Stations you are Planning on Checking /Claiming Luggage @ we can give you Specifics!

And as to Lateness, it Can Range from Minutes to Hours, but Generally unless something out of the Ordinary Happens, it's not more than an Hour!! Salt lake is a Safe City, even Arriving Late @ Night there will be People Around and as i said, Snagging a Cab should be No Poblem!

Since you're taking the Bus to Vegas the Next Morning, it will Leave from the Intermodel Station right Next to Where the AmShack is Located!

Well at this stage I have 2 journeys planned - NYP to CHI & CHI to SLC. Can you tell me the check-in & luggage claiming arrangements in these 3 cities? Thanks again.

NYP - Baggage check-in is done not at the counter but at a location to the left of the ticket counters, near track 8.

CHI - Baggage retrieval is in the baggage claim room, with an airport-style carousel. Baggage check in is done at the ticket counter.

SLC - It has been years since I was there, but I believe it is claimed right from the cart next to the station.

Whenever a bag is claimed, an Amtrak verifies the number on the bag with the number on your claim ticket. So don't lose it - you will need it!

Well at this stage I have 2 journeys planned - NYP to CHI & CHI to SLC. Can you tell me the check-in & luggage claiming arrangements in these 3 cities? Thanks again.
All one trip with just the 4ish hour layover in CHI? If so, you can check your bags from NYP to SLC.

A few years ago the ticket office called a cab at about 12:45 am at SLC. after waiting out on the sidewalk for 40 minutes, there was no cab, so I muttered some impolite things and walked the mile or so to Little America. I was not in a good mood at this point. Sorry to throw cold water.

AmtrakBlue, I am staying in Chicago for 2 nights between the 2 journeys :)

AmtrakBlue, I am staying in Chicago for 2 nights between the 2 journeys :)
Remember about the Red Caps, Good way to De-Tarain and Board in Chicago!! And the Luggage Room for Your Carry-Ons in the Metro Lounge which you get to use as a Sleeping Car Passenger! the_traveler already covered the Luggage procedures for new York, Chicago and Salt Lake City!

We arrived in SLC at 3:00am on the CZ from EMY. I had arranged with the hotel (Sheraton) that

one of the security personnel would meet us at the train and drive us to the hotel.

It worked out fine, plus they drove us back to the hotel when we departed a week later

at midnight. I did not see any taxis at the station at either time.

Caravanman, I know you can go by LAX & then the bus to Vegas, but I want to break up the journey & hopefully get some sleep in a hotel as being a light sleeper I'm not expecting to get any on the train!

Shanghai,

sorry if this is a stupid question but did the hotel charge for picking you up?

PaulM, the link doesn't work for me. How late is 'significantly late'?

Caravanman, I hope to do the return journey by the SWC. It would be easier to do both directions on it but I thought I'd like to see a bit more of the country & I think someone said that as far as scenery is concerned, it would be best to do the CZ westwards & the SWC eastwards.

There are a bunch of inexpensive hotels right near the SLC station, personally I've personally arrived on #5 before before around 11:00pm and have had easy walks to the Hampton Inn and the Crystal Inn these hotels are both are on the same block and about 3/4 of a mile away. There are other hotels also in this general area.

Salt Lake City has an Intermodel Station that is served by Amtrak (the California Zephyr), AmBuses,Greyhound,the Front Runner Commuter Rail System and the Blue Line of Traxx, Salt Lakes Light Rail System that will get you to the Airport!They Stop Running Fairly Early(like 11PM) and Don't Run on Sunday (Utah is strongly Mormon)So Wont Be Of Use To You!

The Zephyr is usually Late but Unless Something happens not Terribly So! There will be Taxis @ the Station as this is a Busy Place but in Case they get Snagged by others the amtrak Agent will Call One for you in the Amtrak Shack! (Each Means of Transportation have their own Building!) The train stops in Front of the Amtrak Station but you have to get Off on the Far Side of the Train and walk a Couple of Hundred Yards on the Platform to the Engine where you will Cross the Tracks to where Amtrak is Located! Since there is Checked Baggage, the Agent has to Load/Unload it and this is also a Crew Change and Service Stop so the train is Scheduled for a 30 Minute Stop!
Trax does run on Sunday, but only a limited schedule (every 20 minutes). Frontrunner still does not run.

Hi,

The CZ is far and away my recomended train for scenery, and if you need a night off the train then the SLC stopover would work well.

As always with travel, there is a chance of delay, but getting to a comfy bed even at 3am instead of midnight can be worth a lot! If you are in sleeper/roomette, you might consider booking from CHI in sleeper to Denver, then booking coach from DEN to SLC. You will miss out on some included meals but it may save enough to pay for your SLC room?

I have not checked that out myself for this route, but have found that on some routes it can save $$ to change, especially if you need to be awake to detrain at night anyway.

As they say, "You pays your money, and you decides" !!

Relax and just enjoy a great trip,

Ed :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back