Salt Lake City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
On our first trip to SLC, we spent 4 nights. The train arrives and departs at 3:30 am, so our first and last night were short. There were taxis waiting at the station. We stayed at the Plaza since our main focus was Temple Square, which was next door. SLC is a very clean city. There are UTA trains and buses for getting around. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. The scenery on the CZ before and after SLC is beautiful. Thank you everyone for your help with our plans.

Just curious, how does a super early (or super late) check-in for a hotel work? I've never done that before.

If I check in at 5:00am, am I charged as if I checked in the day before? And if I want to stay past check-out time, say till 9pm, do I get charged another full day?

How can I be assured that my room will be available at say 5:00am, do I call them the night before? i dont want them to assume I didnt show up, and thus give my room to someone else.

If someone could explain the "super" early check-ins and "super" late checkouts, that would be great. Many of the cities I'd like to visit via Amtrak have not-so-good-arrival times, such as Salt Lake, San Antonio, Cincinnati, Cleveland.

thanks

I would suggest you call the hotel and let them know of your expected late or early arrival. If you have secured your reservation with a credit card and/or are a member of the hotel's rewards programs, they usually have policies that cover those circumstances.

I don't know about every hotel, but the Plaza said we had to pay for the whole day, because they couldn't rent the room to someone else. I have had some hotels charge us for 1/2 day when we had a late check-out.

Early check-in, let the hotel know ahead of time. If there's a room ready for occupancy when you arrive, they'll let you have it.

Late check-out, I'd guess most would charge you because they need to get the room ready for occupancy of the next guest. At most hotels, you can have them hold your bags for you after you check out.

Using status I have managed to get late checkout as late as 3pm. Without status 1pm is about the limit. Some hotels let you do later checkout for some additional payment depending on how badly they need the room or not.

Early checkin is based on availability of rooms when you arrive. If you want more guarantee than that, specially for as early as 5am, you'll have to pay for at least half if not all of the previous night, generally the latter.

Just curious, how does a super early (or super late) check-in for a hotel work? I've never done that before.

If I check in at 5:00am, am I charged as if I checked in the day before? And if I want to stay past check-out time, say till 9pm, do I get charged another full day?

How can I be assured that my room will be available at say 5:00am, do I call them the night before? i dont want them to assume I didnt show up, and thus give my room to someone else.

If someone could explain the "super" early check-ins and "super" late checkouts, that would be great. Many of the cities I'd like to visit via Amtrak have not-so-good-arrival times, such as Salt Lake, San Antonio, Cincinnati, Cleveland.

thanks
You either have to pay or have elite status with the hotel program. Being an SPG elite, I've checked in early and checked out late without any extra charge. This is all based on room availability of course. If your an SPG platinum, they let you select your own 24 hour period. It really helps to be a member of the hotels loyalty program and also book the room directly through their website vs booking via discounters. If you book your room through one of the discounters, generally, even being part of the loyalty program won't help you and will be nickeled and dimed.

Back