San Bernardino County Transportation Authority unveils hydrogen powered EMUs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
This is for their Arrow Corridor service from University of Redlands to downtown San Bernardino. I looked it up and I think it's less than 10 miles.

ZEMU, short for Zero Emission Multiple Unit, is North America’s first self-powered, zero-emission passenger train that will meet Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) requirements. The train uses a hybrid hydrogen and battery technology to propel the train and power onboard electrical systems. Water vapor is the only emission generated from the propulsion system, making this a clean transit alternative.​
“What we have done with ZEMU is transformational,” SBCTA President Ray Marquez said. “The development of the train has solidified SBCTA’s place as an innovator in clean passenger rail here in the Inland Empire, throughout the state and the nation.”​
ZEMU was built by Swiss train manufacturer Stadler, who also built the three Diesel Multiple Unit trains that currently operate on the Arrow corridor. The diesel trains run on renewable fuel made from recycled natural fats and vegetable oils. Partnering with Stadler to develop the new ZEMU train was a natural fit for SBCTA.​
“The FLIRT H2 hydrogen train is the product of a longstanding, collaborative, and successful partnership between Stadler and SBCTA,” Stadler US CEO Martin Ritter said. “We build trains for a wide variety of transit agencies, but developing this train has been especially meaningful because of the impact it will have on San Bernardino County and the way it will shape the future of passenger rail in California and across the U.S.”​
When ZEMU enters service later this year, it will operate along Metrolink’s Arrow Corridor on the San Bernardino Line. Following ZEMU’s June 2024 arrival to San Bernardino, the train began its final phase of testing and integration with Metrolink’s operating systems.​

https://www.instagram.com/gosbcta/p/C-taURuS-dL/

Isn't this - or shouldn't it be - an HMU?

They're calling it "Zero-Emission Multiple Unit". Their choice of acronym I guess. My cursory understanding is that it's battery powered, but that a hydrogen fuel cell charges the battery. Sort of like how a Chevy Volt is driven solely by the battery, but the gas engine will start charging the battery when needed.

I wonder if it can be charged off the grid.

The ride is about 30 minutes long. I took it a few weeks ago and it was nice. I think they could do with building transit-oriented development around the line. A lot of it is industrial.

Back