Service disruption on Train #2 around SAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone know the problem with the Sunset Ltd. today? The only info that I get is there is a service disruption. We're waiting for the train in LCH, headed to NOL. So far, it's about 4 hours late. Thank you.

Thanks. I just called. They said there was a vehicle accident west of Houston. Know anything about that?

It's now 7hrs and 49min late. I feel sorry for all those waiting at Beaumont, Lake Charles and beyond. I was thinking it probably hit a car. I did a search on the local news feeds and don't find anything so far.

Thanks for the update. I'm trying to track it on Dixieland and calling "Julie". Not a great start for our 13 day, 6000 mile trip. But it will be worth it once we get going.

I saw on Trainorders where train 2 hit a truck of manure :wacko: west of Houston yesterday, major damage to lead unit, had to be set out, crew injuries, had to recrew train. I guess all concerned are lucky it didn't turn out worse.

This is an example of where 2 units are need for all long distance runs. If such had happened to the City of New Orleans or Texas Eagle, which run with only one unit, they would have had to be annulled.

Yeah, I was wondering what happened, #2 didnt hit LFT until midnight. I heard it coming through and I was like. wow, its uber late.

I really hope the injured people are ok.

Adding insult to injury, the disabled Amtrak unit was being deadheaded in a freight behind several UP units eastbound (toward New Orleans) and that frieght train hit a gravel truck somewhere near Houston. I don't think the Amtrak unit suffered any further damage in this fiasco, but another delay obviously in getting it home to be repaired... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back