Southwest Chief discussion Q4 2023 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did wonder why I've seen only two sleepers on the Southwest Chief #3 the last two nights. Is this also the case for train #4?

Why on earth would Amtrak do this if there continues to be demand for as much sleeper space as possible?

By the way, what is "AT?"

Yes, whatever is on 3 will be on 4, they're the same consists running different directions.

There is no plumbing the minds of Amtrak equipment planners. Hopefully when the sleeper was withdrawn at least they didn't boot out any passengers with reserved space as the geniuses did a wholesale for months across multiple trains a couple years ago. With that said, they are still short of equipment.

AT is Auto Train. The apple of executive management's eye, right next to the NEC.

Trying to mentally escape a week of rain and humidity in Florida, I scanned some photos from a January 2007 trip on the SWC. That was an unusually bad winter and ranchers lost a lot of livestock. The crystal clear skies seemed to accentuate the cold. And yes I opened the window in the door to get the photo.

The freight you see was between Raton and Glorietta. If my memory is correct it was from the intermodal terminal in Albuquerque and contained many UPS trailers. It was waiting patiently in the siding. I also see that the configuration of the SSL appears to have changed over the years. And finally I certainly liked LA terminal without the various roped off areas it now has.

IMG_20240909_0008.jpeg
IMG_20240909_0006.jpeg
IMG_20240909_0005.jpeg
IMG_20240909_0007.jpeg
IMG_20240909_0010.jpeg
IMG_20240909_0011.jpeg
IMG_20240909_0009.jpeg

Last edited:
Trying to mentally escape a week of rain and humidity in Florida, I scanned some photos from a January 2007 trip on the SWC. That was an unusually bad winter and ranchers lost a lot of livestock. The crystal clear skies seemed to accentuate the cold. And yes I opened the window in the door to get the photo.

The freight you see was between Raton and Glorietta. If my memory is correct it was from the intermodal terminal in Albuquerque and contained many UPS trailers. It was waiting patiently in the siding. I also see that the configuration of the SSL appears to have changed over the years. And finally I certainly liked LA terminal without the various roped off areas it now has.
Awesome photos. The older quality adds to the aesthetic.

Back