Southwest Chief discussion Q4 2023 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One bit of information that we got out of all of this: a Deluxe Bedroom on SWC No. 3 from CHI to LAX currently can be had for 118,838 Guest Reward Points if you happen to have that many.

Eric & Pat
For comparison, our September/October SWC round trip (LAX>CHI>LAX) was 143,326 points for a Deluxe Bedroom both legs.
Reservation was made in February.

From time to time people have mentioned making "dummy" reservations for the purpose of finding out current prices, the availability of bedrooms or roomettes, etc. What are the precise steps for making dummy reservations without inadvertently making an actual reservation? (As it gets closer to our September trip on the SWC, we'll want to learn if the prices will have dropped so that we can ask for a partial refund.)

From time to time people have mentioned making "dummy" reservations for the purpose of finding out current prices, the availability of bedrooms or roomettes, etc. What are the precise steps for making dummy reservations without inadvertently making an actual reservation? (As it gets closer to our September trip on the SWC, we'll want to learn if the prices will have dropped so that we can ask for a partial refund.)
Start a reservation and back out before getting to the payment page. I just ran some a few days with 8 people in a Deluxe Bedrooms LAX-CHI to research the amount of open inventory for @Keith1951 . That was a total price of over $15,000 when I tried for single rooms. If there was any
chance at all of inadvertently getting charged $15K I wouldn't have done that. It's easy and straightforward to back out of the transaction well before payment but after getting a price quote.

I also make sure I am not signed in when doing it, just to be doubly safe. That way my credit card information will not auto-fill if I accidentally went as far as the payment page.

Last edited:
Start a reservation and back out before getting to the payment page. I just ran some a few days with 8 people in a Deluxe Bedrooms LAX-CHI to research the amount of open inventory for @Keith1951 . That was a total price of over $15,000 when I tried for single rooms. If there was any
chance at all of inadvertently getting charged $15K I wouldn't have done that. It's easy and straightforward to back out of the transaction well before payment but after getting a price quote.

I also make sure I am not signed in when doing it, just to be doubly safe. That way my credit card information will not auto-fill if I accidentally went as far as the payment page.
We've printed this out and will keep it handy for future reference. As Charlie Chan would say, "Thank you so much."

The EB Southwest Chief departs at 5:55 p.m. daily from Los Angeles. Will dinner be served to sleeping car passengers? Does one need to pick a seating time while at the Amtrak lounge before boarding? If so, what is the process?

Last edited:
The train departs at 5:55 p.m. from Los Angeles. Will dinner be served to sleeping car passengers? Does one need to pick a seating time while at the Amtrak lounge before boarding? If so, what is the process?
Sleeping car passengers will receive dinner. The chief dining car steward will stop by your bedroom or roomette to take reservations for whatever seating you want, assuming that seating is not already filled.

Dinner will be served departing LA.

It has been a couple years since I rode the SW Chief out of LA, but the routine then was for the diner LSA was to go through the train reserving dinner seatings shortly after departing Los Angeles. There are at most two seatings. The first seating starts around Fullerton.

I have never known diner LSAs to work the lounges for reservations anywhere. I have seen conductors scan tickets in the lounge in Chicago, but that has been several years since I last saw that. And I mean several years, the last time that happened was in the old lounge in the concourse.

Last edited:
Sleeping car passengers will receive dinner. The chief dining car steward will stop by your bedroom or roomette to take reservations for whatever seating you want, assuming that seating is not already filled.
Thanks. My reason for asking is that the train originates at Los Angeles so that might affect the dining. One time, my wife and i rode a pair of private cars (including a chef and galley) coupled on the EB SWC from L.A.. No dinner was served and the car owner seemed surprised that the passengers hadn't eaten before boarding. By chance, a good buddy and his wife surprised us at Fullerton with a gift basket of snacks for the trip. We shared it with others and it was empty in an hour.

Have they posted the new schedule? I cannot find it. If you have a link I would really appreciate it.
Amtrak hasn't been creating PDF schedules for a few years now, unfortunately. Their dynamic schedule generator on the "Schedules" tab has it, that's how I found the starting date. The RPA hasn't updated their independently created PDF schedule yet.

Last edited:
Probably ongoing negotiations with BNSF. With the "new" (effective December 2020) STB/FRA passenger delay regs, authorized by the PRIIA Act of 2008 but held up in court for years, many LDs have undergone schedule tweaks to come up with 'enforceable' schedules. This appears to be the second such iteration for the SW Chief. They fiddled with the eastbound schedule, at least, once before in the last couple years.

Yes, it appears to be a permanent change. Starts July 8th and runs through the end of searchable trains next May.
As zephyr17 has pointed out, the new SWC schedule change was most likely part of an agreement between Amtrak and host railroad BNSF so that SWC trains would receive priority over freight traffic. (Host railroads having to give priority to Amtrak long-distance trains is actually mandated in laws that were passed years ago but which, up to now, had never been successfully enforced.)

As zephyr17 has pointed out, the new SWC schedule change was most likely part of an agreement between Amtrak and host railroad BNSF so that SWC trains would receive priority over freight traffic. (Host railroads having to give priority to Amtrak long-distance trains is actually mandated in laws that were passed years ago but which, up to now, had never been successfully enforced.)
The mandate was in it from the beginning, it was part of the Rail Passenger Act of 1970 as one of the conditions of railroads joining the National Rail Passenger Corporation (dba Amtrak) and being able to discontinue their own passenger service. The problem was there was no enforcement mechanism for the mandate, other than the DOJ bringing suit. Which happened all of one time. Without a practical avenue to enforce its rights, Amtrak adopted a "go along to get along" stance. The PRIIA Act of 2008 (as amended to move the definition of delay metrics from Amtrak itself to the FRA to conform with Supreme Court rulings) allowed passenger delay complaints to be brought by Amtrak itself directly before STB and the STB the authority to levy sanctions based on passenger delay. After further legal wrangling, which the railroads uniformly lost, implementing regulations were finally allowed to take effect in December 2020. Those regulations called for schedules to be negotiated between railroads and Amtrak taking into account the newly published passenger delay metrics before sanctions could be imposed, within a reasonable time (forgot the actual limit).

Amtrak has submitted a complaint to the STB on passenger delay against UP for Sunset delays under its new rights. That is the first one. UP is fighting it and will doubtless appeal a negative STB ruling to Federal Court, since the this will be a test case for actual enforcement, so it will still take some time before it fully settles out. One of UP's arguments is that the schedule is impractical. Since they never bothered to renegotiate it when it was time to, I think that argument is pretty weak. IMHO, they accepted it by default by not renegotiating it when it was time to. The funny thing is they did renegotiate the Starlight's schedule. Perhaps they wanted to force a test case, too.

The ability to have these rights at all is still rooted in the Rail Passenger Act of 1970, since that's where the railroads voluntarily agreed to it. They did not have to join. PRIIA just provided a better, actually usable, enforcement mechanism.

The finalized delay metrics themselves are pretty simple. 80% of all passengers arrive at their destinations, large or small, within 15 minutes of their scheduled arrival. As measured quarterly, IIRC. They make no mention of train performance or dispatch priority at all.

Last edited:
Thanks-I look for the link for the RPA
RPA does not have the new schedule, and they probably won't update their timetable until well after it goes into effect. The new schedules are only available by searching on the Schedules tab on the Amtrak website with the City option and a date after the change.

Here are copies of the new schedules which I printed from the website:

Attachments

• LAX-CHI.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CHI-LAX.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
Here you go, I'll ask RPA to get these posted. There are only 2 of us trying to maintain these schedules; Amtrak has an Army of people with billons of funding but apparently it is too difficult for them to run a python program using the data they create and publish.

June 23
June 30 (Albuquerque changes)
July 7

Attachments

• southwest-chief.20240623.pdf
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • southwest-chief.20240630.pdf
  • southwest-chief.20240708.pdf
Back