Suggestions for ld trip with 91 yr old and 2 adults

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We are trying to plan a long-distance AGR trip in the fall . We want to take my 91 yr old mother (she's not so sure) with us. We're all small to average size and would like to stay in the same room. She had a stroke, so she is mobile but apprehensive about being alone and walking. Which kind of room do we need and can she eat in the room? Will her (3rd person) meals be included? It will probably be the SL and CZ. I tried searching this site for answers, but it seems that some of the rules have changed. Thank you for any help.

There is no room with more than 2 berths - except the Family Room. Although it has 4 berths, only 2 are "adult sized" the other 2 are under 5‘ long. Your best bet is getting 2 rooms across the hall from each other.

Margo, the Sunset Ltd and the CZ don't connect so you'll either have to also ride the CS or the TE to male this connection.

That being said, all are Superliners ( bi-level) and have a Family bedroom and H Room for handicapped on the lower level!

The Bedrooms are upstairs and accommodate three, but the stairs are hard to use for those with handicaps, you might want to consider getting the Family Room or the H Room and a Downstairs Roomette! (#11-#14) That way one of you could stay with her and the other use the Roomette for Sleeping etc. The SCA will deliver meals to your room upon request!

Last edited by a moderator:
Margo, I hope you'll be able to take your mother on this trip, it would be wonderful!!! That being said, my Mom had a stroke & she had serious motion sickness, even in a moving car!

There was a gentleman on one of my trains last fall that I presume had had a stroke some time before this trip. His ?wife? was helping him get down the stairs, ever so slowly, well before their station. Yes, I did offer and provide assistance. The stairs are narrow and wrap around, which actually probably helped. Luckily no one, that I noticed, was stuck downstairs while we were blocking the stairs.

Edit: No, I'm not complaining. I thought it was great that they got to travel by train and that he was able to be upstairs. I do not know if he got to go to the diner or lounge or if he just stayed in their room.

I traveled with my mother (who had a stroke and later Alzheimer's). I'd get the H-room (for my wheelchair) and a downstairs roomette sometimes, or two roomettes across from each other. The nice thing about two separate rooms is you can leave one in sleeping mode in case someone wants to sleep late or take a nap. With two roomettes across from each other, you'll always have windows on the "good" side.

My mother liked to travel right up to her death and it was very easy to accommodate her on Amtrak. She made friends with numerous conductors, SCAs, and people getting on and off at smoke stops (she'd hang out by the door with her walker or wheelchair).

Hope your mother gives it a try.

Thanks again. I would really like a room with a toilet/shower. I don't think the stairs would be a problem. Can we book it for 3 people and will we have to pay for her meals?

Thanks again. I would really like a room with a toilet/shower. I don't think the stairs would be a problem. Can we book it for 3 people and will we have to pay for her meals?
You can book a Bedroom for 3, although the agent will tell you that Amtrak doesn't recommend this as two people will have to share a bed. There are only 2 beds. But if you agree that you've been warned that it can be a tight fit at night, they will book it for you.

And meals for 3 are included.

Alan, the larger (large enough to be shared) is the lower bunk, isn't it? That would likely mean mother would be sharing ...
Yes, and for the original poster: the lower (larger) bunk is the same size as a twin bed.

Yes you can book three people in a bedroom(via phone only) and yes 2 people will have to share the lower bunk. My parents shared the lower bunk and they had no problems. Regards to having your own bathroom and shower, it its pretty tight. Also, when the rooms are made up for sleeping, there aren't very much room to get around. Also, yes all three people's meals are included. Here are my pictures from last year ride on the SL in bedroom E.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/sets/72157640159976306/

The lower bunk can easily fit two if the two are fairly on the slim side. 2 people with 40+ waist I would not recommend.

We are trying to plan a long-distance AGR trip in the fall . We want to take my 91 yr old mother (she's not so sure) with us. We're all small to average size and would like to stay in the same room. She had a stroke, so she is mobile but apprehensive about being alone and walking. Which kind of room do we need and can she eat in the room? Will her (3rd person) meals be included? It will probably be the SL and CZ. I tried searching this site for answers, but it seems that some of the rules have changed. Thank you for any help.
Yes she can eat in the room. Our SCA was constantly mindful and bring food to the rooms of passengers who could not make it to the dinning car. In my previous post above, in the link to the image, you can see the table open and out. Its big enough for one person to eat their meal comfortably.

This Bedroom sofa converts to a bed which covers the floor to the door. When the bed is down, one must crawl on the bed to use the sink or exit the room. There is floor space in front of the toilet space. The yellow bag is where the folding chair(missing) is normally located. It will be a tight fit for three seniors with carry-on bags.

Bedroom lower bed in night position.

Bedroom looking at sink area and exit.

Back