The Greatly Expanded Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 THINGS:ON THE LSL LAST MONTH, THE CONDUCTOR SAID THE PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW CONSIST WON'T BE EVIDENT UNTIL THE WINTER MONTHS, WHEN EVERYTHING'S FROZE UP
I can't imagine that it's any colder in Albany than it is in Spokanne, Washington.

I'm not meaning to turn this into another big thread about diner lites and SDS, my only point is there's just no way around the fact that both SDS and the diner lite are a reduction in service, and no train can be called "great" as long as that's what it's got for food service. I mean "great" trains to me are the 20th Century Limited, the GN Empire Builder, the CB&Q California Zephyr... you're going to hold the modern-day LSL with a diner lite up to that??
Those great trains were truly great for their time. But I never see anything anymore that approaches what those were. In any category. Anywhere.

I hate to admit it. But we are in the 21st century. The 20th Century Limited was named to celebrate something coming that has been gone for 8 years already! I find the Lake Shore Limited impressive. I find it great. I can board it in NYP without being harassed by some self-important dickwad about the fact that I, OMG, have a watch on! I can eat a dinner that, if not rivaling the finest cuisine in New York, as the 20th Century did, is at least pretty good. And I don't even have to pay extra for it! Then I go to sleep in a fairly comfortable bed, get up, eat another meal, and I find myself in Chicago!

This my girlfriend and I can share for $168.50 each. What would this have cost per person on the 20th Century Limited? Accounting for inflation, about $500 a person! AND THE FOOD WAS EXTRA.

Yeah, its not as great as the 20th Century. Sure. But I'm not paying that kind of money, and I don't expect it to be.
Perhaps you should do a bit of real research before deciding how wonderful the tattered consist no matter how many rattling cars is carries is in comparison to the original great trains. It would compare to going bus today. I understand you have no reference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I'm not meaning to turn this into another big thread about diner lites and SDS, my only point is there's just no way around the fact that both SDS and the diner lite are a reduction in service, and no train can be called "great" as long as that's what it's got for food service. I mean "great" trains to me are the 20th Century Limited, the GN Empire Builder, the CB&Q California Zephyr... you're going to hold the modern-day LSL with a diner lite up to that??
Those great trains were truly great for their time. But I never see anything anymore that approaches what those were. In any category. Anywhere.

I hate to admit it. But we are in the 21st century. The 20th Century Limited was named to celebrate something coming that has been gone for 8 years already! I find the Lake Shore Limited impressive. I find it great. I can board it in NYP without being harassed by some self-important dickwad about the fact that I, OMG, have a watch on! I can eat a dinner that, if not rivaling the finest cuisine in New York, as the 20th Century did, is at least pretty good. And I don't even have to pay extra for it! Then I go to sleep in a fairly comfortable bed, get up, eat another meal, and I find myself in Chicago!

This my girlfriend and I can share for $168.50 each. What would this have cost per person on the 20th Century Limited? Accounting for inflation, about $500 a person! AND THE FOOD WAS EXTRA.

Yeah, its not as great as the 20th Century. Sure. But I'm not paying that kind of money, and I don't expect it to be.
Perhaps you should do a bit of real research before deciding how wonderful the tattered consist no matter how many rattling cars is carries is in comparison to the original great trains. It would compare to going bus today. I understand you have no reference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Amtrak has regulated service- while we may no longer have these super fabulous trains we also don't have the smokey dinty trains of the de-regulated period. You had fabulous and awful, now Amtrak has created a reasonable standard that meets the needs of everyone, from tourists, to commuters from the three hour hops to the three day epics. The standardized rail system is an overall benefit to the passenger.

I can't imagine that it's any colder in Albany than it is in Spokanne, Washington.
Never been to Spokane when its cold- but it can get pretty damn cold. The consist will no doubt freeze up, but what do you expect? It froze up last year, and the year before, just because you have a bigger train doesn't mean the problem will be any more intense...

According to CityRating.org Spokane has a lower annual average temperature with 47.3 to Albany's 47.4 but.....

Albany has the lowest monthly average temperature with 20.6 to Spokane's 27.1!

So which location is colder? Well the answer is... I don't care! I'm just going to stay inside warm and cozy when it's cold outside! :ph34r:

Due to some personal issues, last night saw me and Audrey in a mad dash for somewhere- anywhere- to go. When we finally became coherent, we found ourselves in Saratoga Springs. We saw the Great Dome on its last Northbound trip of the year. We saw the Gideon Putnam, Railfreak. We went to see the Cadillac Exhibit at the Saratoga Automotive Museum. And on the way home, we spent half of today at Albany-Rennselaer.
First of all, people were wondering how they are making this work timewise, so I'll tell you. 48/448 split apart BEFORE entering the station, and the engine change for 48 is done out in the yard. 49/449 is even more efficient. 449 pulls into Albany, and pauses to drop off Albany-bound passenger and anyone who cares to sit in the station. Then the entire 449 pulls forward out of the station and out of the way. When 49 arrives, it pulls into the station, and disconnects its P32, as it always does. Then the entirety of 449 backs up to it- they essentially combine the move with the engine change so it takes no more time then the previous operation!

Next, the consist of the LSL is now bloody huge. 13 to 15 cars. All three sleepers are supposed to be operating year round. During slack times the train will be assigned 2 Boston coaches and 3 New York coaches. During the peak loads it will be assigned 3 Boston coaches and 5 New York coaches. According to the Amtrak representative, the through sleeper is not going to happen for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. The result is a consist between 11 and 15 cars, making this the longest Amtrak long distance train, Auto Train excluded.

Consists for today:

P32, P42, 4 AMFII coach, AMFII D/L, 3 Viewliners, H-bag

2 P42, H-bag, 2 AMFII coach, AMFII lounge

48/448

2 P42, H-bag, 2 AMFII Coach, AMFII lounge, 4 AMF II coach, AMFII D/L, 3 Viewliners, H-bag - 13 cars.

P32, P42,

2P42, H-bag, 2 AMFII Coach, AMFI CAFE

49/449:

2P42, H-bag, 3 AMFII Coach, AMFI CAFE, 4 AMF II Coach, AMFII D/L, 3 VL, H-bag - 14 cars.

Wonder why they are using an AMFI Cafe?

How hectic were they? Well, 49 and 449 sat in the station for 30 minutes after they were joined before leaving 4 minutes late because some moron passenger came running out at 7:04:30 and the station master got them to hold the train for him.

"We saw the Gideon Putnam, Railfreak"

Good Memory, I'm impressed!

THE QUESTION IS SHOULD/COULD/ CAN THE NE (BOS, PHL, NYP, WAS) BE CONSIDERED A CORRIDOR WITH THE MIDWEST ( CHI, DET,STL,CLE)AND THEN IF YES THINK BIG. WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO BUILD IT, ( A MEGLEV, HI SPEED, PNEUMATIC, ETC. EXTRAVAGANZA) THE COST

IS ABOUT ONE MONTH OF IRAQ, NOT A BAD TRADE OFF, AND THEN THINK OF ALL THE OTHER CORRIDORS, TEXAS, SF/LA, FLA, ETC..
Take a look at the table of primary census areas, which indicates that the greater New York City area is the biggest metro area in the US, and the greater Chicago area is the third biggest. In terms of ridership, that may be the highest ridership city pair for high speed rail if we start investing in high speed train service and make sure we get the New York City to Chicago time under three hours. (New York City to Los Angeles might end up being higher ridership when you consider all modes of transportation, but I suspect that a lot of travelers will continue to prefer the airplane for those city pairs, even if the airplane costs a bit more than a sleeper and the sleeper averages 250 MPH (which will take about 11 hours), just because the plane will be faster.)

Getting that New York City to Chicago time under three hours is probably going to cost more than a month of war in Iraq: IIRC, the French figure that $105 billion (when their number is translated into US currency) will get them about 1000 high speed track miles, and since you want double track on a busy route, I believe that's really only 500 route miles; $150 billion to $200 billion is more likely going to be the cost just to get 300 MPH steel rail from New York City to Chicago if the cost per mile ends up being similar; and then the spurs to other nearby cities will likely cost more. I believe the total US military budget is roughly $500 billion a year.

I believe the California high speed steel rail plan is going for 220 MPH as the maximum speed, but my understanding is that if the tracks are built with centers far enough apart and curves gentle enough, 300 MPH ought to be possible with steel rail. Maglev has a huge extra cost, and it's not clear that it really offers any additional benefit; we'd be better off spending the money on more route miles of high speed steel rail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you been on The Canadian? That is a great train!
Have you ever priced it? It better bloody well be a great train! I also wish to point out that it doesn't cover 960 miles in 15 hours.

I didn't say it is comparable to the 20th Century Limited. It isn't. But can you tell me, Larry, a more luxurious, comfortable, and relaxed way to travel between New York and Chicago then the LSL on a regular basis, without spending an arm and a leg?

$168.50/person vs. $500 a person. Come on, you can't hold the first to the same standards as the second. Its not fair to either train.

For today, for this day and age of a fast food nation, of everyone meekly accepting crap that would have, and damned well should have, sent my grandfather off with his fists swinging, of people accepting less from everything, and of cheapening everything from love and sex to kindness and honesty, the Lake Shore Limited is great. No, it hasn't escaped unscathed this rotten world and time we live in. But how the hell can you expect it to?

Amtrak does the best it can to run the best trains it can in the environment in which it must operate. And for this day and age, a surprisingly high percentage of their workers give 110% do the best they can with what they have to work with. What do you call that, Larry? I call it great. We can't evaluate Amtrak in a vacuum. It's not fair to do so.

"We saw the Gideon Putnam, Railfreak"
Good Memory, I'm impressed!
I am famous for it. ;)

THE QUESTION IS SHOULD/COULD/ CAN THE NE (BOS, PHL, NYP, WAS) BE CONSIDERED A CORRIDOR WITH THE MIDWEST ( CHI, DET,STL,CLE)AND THEN IF YES THINK BIG. WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO BUILD IT, ( A MEGLEV, HI SPEED, PNEUMATIC, ETC. EXTRAVAGANZA) THE COST

IS ABOUT ONE MONTH OF IRAQ, NOT A BAD TRADE OFF, AND THEN THINK OF ALL THE OTHER CORRIDORS, TEXAS, SF/LA, FLA, ETC..
Take a look at the table of primary census areas, which indicates that the greater New York City area is the biggest metro area in the US, and the greater Chicago area is the third biggest.
I swear to god, I am sick of you using the words "primary census area". Can't you come up with a different term for it every now and then?

Lion,

Well perhaps your right. Everything today is cheapened. Even the people. I do recall as the lounges began to look like plastic instead of overstuffed sofas and chairs as had been the norm, the crews mentioning that the passengers had lost the respect of others and others things that used to be the way things were. People damaged the upholstery with no thought or care, dirty shoes on the fabric, rips in the seats, so in order to prevent it they went to cheaper less damageable seating and surroundings. In fact you would rarely see someone in the pullman section that wasn't wearing a suit. Women wore dresses, even coach passengers looked like they were taking a trip instead of going to a ball game. I have to say I am glad that part of the era is over, I for one never cared much for dressing up, I prefer comfort.

I think what I do however appreciate is well kept equipment.. Well designed and thoughtful surroundings. Those were standard on the better name trains of previous generations. Now we get rows of plastic seats that usually don't swivel or worse yet the card table kind of car Amtrak calls a lounge on the Lake Shore. The diner while not really too bad, is run with a table removed right in the middle of the other tables and boxes of supplies are stacked like your in a warehouse instead of a diner. Who can call that acceptable, not I. Who is in charge of that kind of thing.. Bedrooms with the most awful banging I have ever heard on any train.. Sorry its not my idea of acceptable "Modern" transportation. Yes it gets you there, and it is the only game in town. But well considered cars and consideration for the paying passengers is not seemingly high on the agenda.

Even with the Spartan furnishings amtrak chooses a good well thought out designer could create a much more overall pleasing surrounding. Problem is no one seems to care about it, which as you say is the way most people think today. For instance in a diner, what would it really take to add a few wall lamps over the tables for atmosphere? At the end of the car it used to be standard to have a pleasing set of pictures to give a touch of decoration and take away from the box effect. It wouldn't take much to add that kind of touches to cars and diners. I will say that it seems that even though its rather cheaply done ( uncomfortable bench seats), the CCC car does display a bit of classical rail car looks. But even on a brand new car on the Capitol a month or so ago the lights on the tables were not working. Well you get the idea.

You won't have really wonderful furnishings in Amtrak because its a failing business propped up by the government. I suppose the freight rails paid a mint and a half back in the day to keep things running pretty- and the government isn't willing to shove out a mint.

From my first trip to today things have changed, the cars have gotten cleaner and those little things- like the posters on the Superliners, they make things nicer.

I know we won't see it for some time again on the LSL, but still, I think the Temoinsa Heritage diner rebuilds show some glimmer of hope that just maybe, Amtrak is headed in the right direction in terms of passenger comfort (despite the coming of the diner-lite cars, which kind of wrecked that in my mind.) Sure most of the paneling is plastic, but they clearly went to some effort to make it look really nice. Just as GML said, it's a perfect example of Amtrak workers doing their best with what they've got. The older style Heritage cars look worse than my high school cafeteria. Crappy lighting, no pictures, and that hallway that makes you think you're on a prison train. The rebuilds are a big step up and that coupled with the redone Superliner I sleepers, and posters added to most Superliner cars has got to be hinting towards Amtrak actually wanting to make things nicer onboard their trains... not just more financially efficient.

I know we won't see it for some time again on the LSL, but still, I think the Temoinsa Heritage diner rebuilds show some glimmer of hope that just maybe, Amtrak is headed in the right direction in terms of passenger comfort (despite the coming of the diner-lite cars, which kind of wrecked that in my mind.) Sure most of the paneling is plastic, but they clearly went to some effort to make it look really nice. Just as GML said, it's a perfect example of Amtrak workers doing their best with what they've got. The older style Heritage cars look worse than my high school cafeteria. Crappy lighting, no pictures, and that hallway that makes you think you're on a prison train. The rebuilds are a big step up and that coupled with the redone Superliner I sleepers, and posters added to most Superliner cars has got to be hinting towards Amtrak actually wanting to make things nicer onboard their trains... not just more financially efficient.
While I'm all for giving Amtrak workers their due, the simple reality is that Amtrak workers really didn't have all that much to do with how the Temoinsa rebuilds look. Yes, Amtrak workers did rip out the old furnishings and install the new ones. But the new furnishings were entire kits built by a company called Temoinsa, hence the "name" of the rebuilt car. All the Amtrak workers really needed to do was install, bolt down, and other wise attach things.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We saw the Great Dome on its last Northbound trip of the year".
I sure hope its not the last trip. Im planning on taking it this weekend. According to amtrak's press release, November 10th is the last day northbound.
Does anybody know if this is still the case? The reason i plan to take the Adirondack this weekend is because of the dome. If it is indeed no longer running, i will scrap the trip.

Last edited:
"We saw the Great Dome on its last Northbound trip of the year".
I sure hope its not the last trip. Im planning on taking it this weekend. According to amtrak's press release, November 10th is the last day northbound.
Does anybody know if this is still the case? The reason i plan to take the Adirondack this weekend is because of the dome. If it is indeed no longer running, i will scrap the trip.
I haven't heard of any plans to pull the dome early, so I assume that you're still good to go.

While I'm all for giving Amtrak workers their due, the simple reality is that Amtrak workers really didn't have all that much to do with how the Temoinsa rebuilds look. Yes, Amtrak workers did rip out the old furnishings and install the new ones. But the new furnishings were entire kits built by a company called Temoinsa, hence the "name" of the rebuilt car. All the Amtrak workers really needed to do was install, bolt down, and other wise attach things.
oooooo.... woops. But still, it at least shows that Amtrak is willing to buy designs that actually look decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back