train vacation for a family?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I posted last night about ny to grand canyon... thinking about it, I'd hate to waste those days on the train anyway taking time away from the grand canyon.

but we really would love to take the train somewhere. as I said in my other post, it's myself, hubby and a 7 and 9 year old, and we homeschool, so we're wanting to explore america a bit for history 'lessons' for the kids.

we live in the tri-state ny/nj/pa area, so that's where we'd start from. can anyone recommend a train trip for us? i've been told by friends that the east coast doesn't really offer the nicer trains that you can get out west, which is such a shame. our 1 train experience from newark to fl was very nice, w/ a sleeper room for 4 w/ the private toilet/shower and a nice dining car. That is the experience we want on the train itself. then i'm thinking going through a few towns that we can explore for a day or 2 each, then hopping back on a train. Is that even possible?? Would this be crazy expensive, booking from town to town (maybe 3 total) w/ a couple days inbetween? and because we have kids, feeling safe is very important. maybe new england or eastern canada??

thanks for any help! :)

ok, I posted last night about ny to grand canyon... thinking about it, I'd hate to waste those days on the train anyway taking time away from the grand canyon.
but we really would love to take the train somewhere. as I said in my other post, it's myself, hubby and a 7 and 9 year old, and we homeschool, so we're wanting to explore america a bit for history 'lessons' for the kids.

we live in the tri-state ny/nj/pa area, so that's where we'd start from. can anyone recommend a train trip for us? i've been told by friends that the east coast doesn't really offer the nicer trains that you can get out west, which is such a shame. our 1 train experience from newark to fl was very nice, w/ a sleeper room for 4 w/ the private toilet/shower and a nice dining car. That is the experience we want on the train itself. then i'm thinking going through a few towns that we can explore for a day or 2 each, then hopping back on a train. Is that even possible?? Would this be crazy expensive, booking from town to town (maybe 3 total) w/ a couple days inbetween? and because we have kids, feeling safe is very important. maybe new england or eastern canada??

:) You will get lots of ideas on this one!VIA runs excellent trains, also has good deals on corridorpasses,companion fares etc. Check viarail.com on the web(in English :lol: )>For a quickie trip you can ride the LSL to Chi,the CLfrom WAS to CHI, the Cardinal(not so quick but fun :lol: ).Also any of the New England trains, while not LD and

with no sleepers, are great trips they say!(IM going in the fall for the colors! :) Also riding to Niagara Falls

is a great trip if yall havent been!!! :) AMTRAK has a pretty good Vacation guide(package deals),Im sure

this forum can give yall great ideas!!"BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

To see something really spectacular, I might suggest flying to Denver and taking Amtrak's California Zephyr from Denver to San Francisco. You could spend a couple of days in the Denver area - maybe Rockie Mountain National Park - and then take the Zephyr west through the Rockies, the Wasatch Range in Utah, overnight across the Utah flats and the Nevada desert, and then over the Sierras at Donner Pass and into the Bay Area. You can then fly home from San Francisico. The train is a two-day, one-night ride, and your could either use the Family Room (facilities down the hall), or a Bedroom Suite.

You really see the West on the Zephyr - from snow-capped mountains (even in summer), to the Utah red rock country, to desert, and everything in between.

Best trip for the money right now is the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver. I took that last year and it is a great trip....first class all the way. You are on the train for three days and nights from Toronto although I think they have lengthend the schedule since then and it may be four nights out. The train is made up of restored/refurbished sleeping cars and dome cars from the 1950's. Service is excellent and so is the food which is included in the ticket price and the scenery is super. The train sports three dining cars, two dome lounges and the dome observation car. It sometimes runs over 25 cars long. You can fly back from Vancouver or take the cascade service down to Seattle for a couple of more fun days. Scenery around Vancouver is fantastic and you can take the ferry over to Victoria. If you have plenty of time you could return via the Empire Builder to Chicago and then on back home. Or you can do what I often do is fly back. Another option is to just fly to Chicago and take any of the Amtrak LD trains out of there to the west coast. I would recommend the Empire Builder to Seattle or Portland or the California Zephyr to San Francisco. There you can have some fun riding the cable cars which the kids would enjoy.

For a short trip try one of the day trains out of NY to either Montreal or Toronto. If you go to Toronto stop off at Niagra Falls(the Canadian side) for a day. Another option is take an Acela to Boston for the thrill of going 150mph and do some exploring from there. There is the Mt Washington Cog Railroad, the Conway Scenic Railroad and of course all the historic places around Boston related to the American Revolution. From Boston, I would rent a car and/or take the Downeaster to Portland.

I wouldn't call days on a train wasted. I think of them as more just a part of the adenture of traveling. I enjoy the time and watching the scenery go by.

Hey, we homeschool too. One is in college, one going to be a senior in high school, a 6th grader to be and an almost 4 year old. We are doing a field trip soon. We are in Calif and are going to see the Hermitage in TN, Kitty Hawk NC, Williamsburg VA, Washingtong DC, NYC and Springfield IL (Lincoln's bicentennial this year). Unfortunately we are not taking the train as it would be way too expensive. We are making one of the dreaded long car trips.

Sorry no help re train ideas from me. I took my two oldest kids from LA to Chicago last year on the Southwest Chief. Had a great time on the train and in Chicago for a few days.

Take care,

Dan

I wouldn't call days on a train wasted. I think of them as more just a part of the adenture of traveling. I enjoy the time and watching the scenery go by.

Hey, we homeschool too. One is in college, one going to be a senior in high school, a 6th grader to be and an almost 4 year old. We are doing a field trip soon. We are in Calif and are going to see the Hermitage in TN, Kitty Hawk NC, Williamsburg VA, Washingtong DC, NYC and Springfield IL (Lincoln's bicentennial this year). Unfortunately we are not taking the train as it would be way too expensive. We are making one of the dreaded long car trips.

Sorry no help re train ideas from me. I took my two oldest kids from LA to Chicago last year on the Southwest Chief. Had a great time on the train and in Chicago for a few days.

Take care,

Dan
Huh? I posted before I said anything?? :huh:

Anyway, in addition to what you said, if one uses the Route Guide found on THIS PAGE, the train trip could also have an educational component to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also riding to Niagara Fallsis a great trip if yall havent been!!! :) AMTRAK has a pretty good Vacation guide(package deals),Im sure this forum can give yall great ideas!!"BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
thanks for all the ideas! we're actually surprising the kids this tuesday w/ a niagara falls trip for 4 nights... when we planned it, i hadn't thought of taking the train, and now i feel like it's too late. i'm going to look into the things you suggested though.

Also riding to Niagara Fallsis a great trip if yall havent been!!! :) AMTRAK has a pretty good Vacation guide(package deals),Im sure this forum can give yall great ideas!!"BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
thanks for all the ideas! we're actually surprising the kids this tuesday w/ a niagara falls trip for 4 nights... when we planned it, i hadn't thought of taking the train, and now i feel like it's too late. i'm going to look into the things you suggested though.
Why is it too late? Non-refundable fees involved? :huh:

Just fly to Los Angeles or Albuquerque and take the train from there to the Grand Canyon if you don't want to be stuck on the train that long. The Grand Canyon is one of the places that is perfect to take the train to. You get off Amtrak, get on GCRR and once you are in the park they drive you around on a nice shuttle bus. You don't even need a rental car.

Just fly to Los Angeles or Albuquerque and take the train from there to the Grand Canyon if you don't want to be stuck on the train that long. The Grand Canyon is one of the places that is perfect to take the train to. You get off Amtrak, get on GCRR and once you are in the park they drive you around on a nice shuttle bus. You don't even need a rental car.
The Grand Canyon is Awesome but, as in any place, there is only so much to see, & in Arizona I am impressed with the scenery, Volcano Crater-Meteor Crater- Jerrome-Sedonna,Sedonna, SEDONNA, Oak Creek Pkwy,Painted Desert & the jeep rides in SEDONNA!!!!

How bout taking the #3 to Williams ,doing the Canyon, renting a van to see Arizona & catching the #422 back toward Home Base? Just a thought!!! Adopt me & I'll go wit ya!!!

RF :ph34r: :cool: :eek: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zephyr is the way to go, but this is what I would do, fly into Omaha NE next summer and take in the last College World Series at the famed Rosenblatt Stadium. Next season is the last year at the 'blatt before tearing it down and moving to a shiny new facility that will ****! :lol: Take in one game and then go to the Henry Doorly Zoo, one of the best zoo's in the United States, great learning experience there for you and your family. Then board the CZ in OMA to EMY as PRR 60 said. The only thing I disagree with him on is where you should board! :) The CWS is on right now and you don't need to go to a championship game to get the flavor of a really neat atmoshpere. Plus the 'blatt is across the street from Henry Doorly Zoo!

The Grand Canyon is Awesome but, as in any place, there is only so much to see, & in Arizona I am impressed with the scenery, Volcano Crater-Meteor Crater- Jerrome-Sedonna,Sedonna, SEDONNA, Oak Creek Pkwy,Painted Desert & the jeep rides in SEDONNA!!!!

How bout taking the #3 to Williams ,doing the Canyon, renting a van to see Arizona & catching the #422 back toward Home Base? Just a thought!!! Adopt me & I'll go wit ya!!!

If you actually hike into the canyon there is enough to keep you busy for weeks, but yeah looking over the edge gets boring quick.

If you actually hike into the canyon there is enough to keep you busy for weeks, but yeah looking over the edge gets boring quick.

If I was taking kids that age, I would want to take them either to Washington, DC, or to Lincoln's Birthplace, Williamsburg, Va, Mount Vernon, Va, or even Monticello. Boston, Mass, would be good too. If you want to travel to the west, take the California Zephyr from Chicago all the way to Sacramento, Ca. Visit Sutter's Fort! Go see the Redwoods! Check out Yosemite! You can also take the Coast Starlight south to see the California coast if you want. Or go the other direction, & just pick a spot! If you want to go to Yellowstone, it's a fairly short drive from Salt Lake City, Ut. The Zephyr stops there.

maybe new england or eastern canada??
I'd recommend the Adirondack Train, an all-day run from New York City to Montreal, up the Hudson River Valley and along beautiful Lake Champlain. You could time it for Fall Foliage if you like. Overnight in Montreal, then back the same way. You can all learn French for the occasion and have a great time. (They also speak English there.)

If you stay a little longer, some time in Quebec City is well worthwhile. Access by Train from Montreal.

For a longer run, the Train from Montreal to Halifax is beautiful. I did that in Coach. They do have sleeper accommodations but very pricey, I think. Then back either the same way, or by Ferry from Yarmouth to Portland, Maine and by train to Boston and New York from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back