Trenton, NJ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember seeing the "Trenton makes..." sign on that bridge, and I wondered just what it was that Trenton was so known for making?
(I kind of hope it was bridges) ? :cool:
I just stumbled on this, but I needed to respond to say Trenton WAS known for making bridges. The John A. Roebling's Sons Company is most famous for making the Brooklyn Bridge, but also manufactured the steel wire used in bridges across the world, including the Golden Gate Bridge. This is the industry that inspired the motto on the Lower Trenton Bridge.

I just stumbled on this, but I needed to respond to say Trenton WAS known for making bridges. The John A. Roebling's Sons Company is most famous for making the Brooklyn Bridge, but also manufactured the steel wire used in bridges across the world, including the Golden Gate Bridge. This is the industry that inspired the motto on the Lower Trenton Bridge.
The Great Bridge by historian David McCullough is a fascinating read of the story of how the Brooklyn Bridge got built.

Getting back to the actual subject of this thread :) from my last trip on the Acela, it seemed to me that the odd numbered rows had the best alignment with the windows. We were in an even numbered row and the alignment was OK but not as good.

The other thing to consider is whether it is an "airline style" row or a table row. A table has the advantage of the table for working, eating etc. but the drawback of having to sit across from a stranger for your trip. Normally being a somewhat reserved introvert type I would tend to shy away from this, although I admit on a recent trip I had some interesting conversations across a table with a couple of young men who had flown into NYC from California to attend the US Open Tennis and were taking a jaunt from NYC to Philly.

Back