Trip report SL, CS to VAC and back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We've just completed our most recent ld roomettte AGR trip. We have ridden the SL and the CS before, but never on to Vancouver, BC. The SL is still boring and the CS is still great (the scenery and the service). The LAX metro lounge is wonderful. Two volunteers from the Klamath Falls Museum rode with us to Eugene. They gave a really interesting talk. The restored SEA station is beautiful. The bus ride from SEA to VAC is awful, especially at midnight. Now I know why I never used the Thruway bus. Vancouver was beautiful. We went to Stanley Park, the Aquarium and the Museum of Anthropology. They were all very impressive. We had only two full days, so we didn't get to see anything else. We stayed at a very nice Howard Johnson hotel downtown. I would like to go back sometime, but not on Amtrak Thruway bus. The station at VAC does not open until 5:00 a.m., so don't get there early. We endured another bus ride back to SEA.

We had the most wonderful SCA (Roger) on our return trip on the CS. We've made several Amtrak trips and never had an SCA so attentive. Not only did he bring ice and tea around, he passed out an information sheet listing his services, meal times, a train map, and fresh air stop times.

The forest/mountains through Oregon were just beautiful with the fresh snow.

Another disappointment on this trip was we had to get off the CS at Oakland and ride coach to Bakersfield then a BUS to LAX all because Amtrak was afraid we wouldn't make our SL connection (we had 1 hour). I think they're getting really tight with their guaranteed connections. When I booked our trip, I was told this rerouting was because of track work. I later learned the track work was only on certain days (not ours). Some other passengers on the CS stayed on to LAX and arrived early.

It was mostly a good trip. The food in the dining car and the new friends were great. Now I'm ready to plan our next one. Just NO BUS!

I'm glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip. I don't think the Sunset is boring, but I am someone who likes the wide open spaces. I have taken the train once into Vancouver, which is really slow, and would prefer it over the bus, but why was the bus so awful? It's not like you had to ride it overnight for hundreds of miles. I would guess after being on the train all those hours, it was kind of a downer to get on a bus. How was Customs in both directions?

We had the most wonderful SCA (Roger) on our return trip on the CS. We've made several Amtrak trips and never had an SCA so attentive. Not only did he bring ice and tea around, he passed out an information sheet listing his services, meal times, a train map, and fresh air stop times.
This is really great! I love when the employees go above and beyond their duties to make an experience enjoyable and memorable. That's the type of stuff I reference when I explain why I tip some SCAs extra.

The bus was really rough-riding and uncomfortable. Customs was easy. We had to take our luggage off the bus into the Custom station, show our passports and get back on. They didn't open our bags.

:hi: Glad ya'll enjoyed the trip! I totally agree that Vancouver, B.C. is one of the Gems of the World! And I understand not wanting to ride a Bus on I-5 between Seattle and Vancouver! It's too bad there is only Two Trains a Day in each Direction between Vancouver and Seattle, it is much more Comfortable than riding a Bus!

As to the Sunset Ltd., it is probably one of those LD Trains that most people should Ride Once between NOL and LAX and cross it off their Bucket list! Personally I like it because of the Connections with the Texas Eagle in SAS (my Home train) and the fact that Alpine,Tx. (the place of my Birth and Boyhood Memories) is a Stop on this Route! ^_^

I would call Customer Relations about being made to get off the Starlight and ride a Bus and San Joaquin Train to LAX when Others got to stay on the Starlight and enjoy Lunch and Dinner and the PPC Car! I would think Amtrak would owe ya'll a Voucher for Future Travel since AGR doesn't refund Points and you gave up your Room the Meals in the Diner or PPC!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, Jim. I called Amtrak while on the CS when I learned other passengers were staying on and that the track work was just on specific days (not ours). I asked if we could just stay on the train in our roomette. The answer was no. When I booked this trip, about 3 weeks prior to travel, I was told that the detour was the only way to get back to LAX. I'll call again. I have found talking to more than one agent gets you different answers. I'll post my results. Thanks again.

Update to our bus detour: I called Customer Service and they sent me a $200.00 voucher! Time to plan a new trip! Any suggestions on using the voucher with an AGR trip? I assume I should just make separate rez. Thank you guys so much for your advice.

What about taking the City of New Orleans from NOL-CHI,then the California Zephyr to Emeryville,spend time in the Bay Area, then take the Starlight down to LAX, sight see there and take the Desert er Sunset Ltd home?

Back