What happens on the train when it is twelve hours late?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crew legality would almost disappear on those routes that can support a 2nd train about 12 hours different that the first train. Note there are very few problems on the east coast Florida trains including Palmetto and Auto Train.
As far as equipment turns do not expect any relief before 2035 - 2040 when spare sets could become available. For Superliners that would be one in LAX, SEA, & CHI. If Sunset becomes daily NOL will be covered with the very long layover of CONO equipment. For single level it would be CHI, SSY, MIA. WAS might be a good location in case of a needed short turn of single level LD trains.

First, Mr. Batuello's description of a trip on an Amtrak sleeper is the best I've ever heard! Meanwhile, on the subject of the three Capitol Limited Superliner sets, I forgot that Chicago doesn't have a spare set. So one of the Capitol Limited sets would become a spare set for Chicago, the second would become a spare for Seattle to eliminate the super-tight equipment turn issue there, at least for the Seattle section, and the third Capitol set would either do the same in LA for extra-late Coast Starlights and Southwest Chiefs, or instead help provide a cut-out Chicago-Denver coach and sleeper on the California Zephyr. I know that Amtrak has run local Chicago-Kansas City coaches fairly recently, but if it decides to just keep the whole Southwest Chief at three coaches, that might not be necessary anymore. With all of the above adjustments, though, I can't see any way to get the second coach back on the Empire Builder Seattle section, short of those shunt enhancers being approved by the FRA for the Illini and Saluki. Then Amtrak would have to find or divert enough Venture or Horizon cars to replace the five or six Illini-Saluki Superliners it would take to restore the Seattle coach line. I'm assuming that Amtrak management has decreed that all Amfleet I coaches are now assigned to the Northeast, Empire, Downeaster and Virginia corridors, period, with only a few food service cars venturing (pardon the pun) west.

The equipment solution would be in the Capitol Limited Superliner sets coming out of that rotation November 10th.
The National Weather Service and other forecasters, as I understand it, are predicting a really cold, nasty winter across at least the northern part of the country this year, apparently more so than usual. That would lead to more equipment delays and speed restrictions.
Amtrak needs to prevent Forest Gumping whenever it can, and this equipment realignment could give it the ability to do so. And Amtrak really needs to improve its credibility right now, seems to me.
1. The equipment is needed to restore consists to previous sizes, not sit around. As noted before, the actual track record of the Builder turns this year is not particularly bad, is pretty normal, and was far, far worse in the period around 10 years ago.

In light of the absence of an actual crisis on Builder turns, the use of those released cars could be:
5 of 6 coaches restoring second Seattle coach to the Builder. It always ran 2 year round prior to COVID.
5 of 6 sleepers to restore second sleeper to the SW Chief which always ran 2 prior to COVID.
3 diner/lounges to restore at lease Flex(🤮) to the CONO rather than only cafe food available on it now. Naturally, since the diner/lounges are capable of supporting traditional, I'd prefer that.

The coach and sleeper left over? You can allocate those.

2. I ski and live in a state served by the Builder. I am familiar with winter weather and predictions because I am invested in it. So far this coming winter prediction looks like those 2 and 3 years ago with a La Nina pattern. This last winter was exceptionally mild. This winter doesn't look to be mild, but not abnormal.

3. Amtrak never had a lot of credibility to restore and it has, shall we say, a target rich environment, if it were to try to gain some. Probably the biggest one, a more assertive approach with the hosts on OT performance, they seem to actually be doing. Making an honest attempt at improving the quality and consistency of onboard service is another.

Washing the damned windows.

There are a lot of things they could try to improve to gain credibility. Building a protection pool when they don't have the cars for it by maintaining artificially short consists is not one of them.

1. The equipment is needed to restore consists to previous sizes, not sit around. As noted before, the actual track record of the Builder turns this year is not particularly bad, is pretty normal, and was far, far worse in the period around 10 years ago.

In light of the absence of an actual crisis on Builder turns, the use of those released cars could be:
5 of 6 coaches restoring second Seattle coach to the Builder. It always ran 2 year round prior to COVID.
5 of 6 sleepers to restore second sleeper to the SW Chief which always ran 2 prior to COVID.
3 diner/lounges to restore at lease Flex(🤮) to the CONO rather than only cafe food available on it now. Naturally, since the diner/lounges are capable of supporting traditional, I'd prefer that.

The coach and sleeper left over? You can allocate those.

2. I ski and live in a state served by the Builder. I am familiar with winter weather and predictions because I am invested in it. So far this coming winter prediction looks like those 2 and 3 years ago with a La Nina pattern. This last winter was exceptionally mild. This winter doesn't look to be mild, but not abnormal.

3. Amtrak never had a lot of credibility to restore and it has, shall we say, a target rich environment, if it were to try to gain some. Probably the biggest one, a more assertive approach with the hosts on OT performance, they seem to actually be doing. Making an honest attempt at improving the quality and consistency of onboard service is another.

Washing the damned windows.

There are a lot of things they could try to improve to gain credibility. Building a protection pool when they don't have the cars for it by maintaining artificially short consists is not one of them.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the Seattle turn. I certainly do agree with you on getting more forceful with the host railroads regarding Amtrak performance and washing car windows (I think the redone Seattle car washer is just about ready to go back into service if it isn't there already). And I've been seeing, and have experienced, mostly surprisingly good reports on onboard service for the last year or two. Let's hope that continues.

Back