When Europe’s railroad dining cars were the height of luxury

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
On October 4, 1883, the legendary Orient Express departed Gare de l’Est in Paris for the very first time, slowly winding through Europe on its way to Constantinople, as Istanbul was then known. During a seven-day round trip, the service’s 40 passengers — including several prominent writers and dignitaries — lived in mahogany-paneled comfort, whiling away the hours in smoking compartments and armchairs upholstered in soft Spanish leather.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/10/11/style/europe-railroad-dining-cars-wagons-lits/index.html

One thing that people today may not realize is that European railways ran a lot of express trains without on-board food service. That made the Orient-Express even more impressive by comparison.
That is still true today on many overnight sleeper trains, according to rail travel videos I have seen, where at best you might get a cup of coffee and perhaps a roll or snack in the morning.

That is still true today on many overnight sleeper trains, according to rail travel videos I have seen, where at best you might get a cup of coffee and perhaps a roll or snack in the morning.
Most major sleeper routes did have full and proper dining cars well into the early 2000s. The present situation is a result of cutting back that has happened since then.

I used to be a regular on the Pau Casals, the night sleeper talgo (with gauge changing equipment) that ran between Zurich and Barcelona. Besides having a proper dining car with all the trimmings, this train also had a separate bar car that technically stayed open (I think) until something like 2am but factually you could stay longer than that (depending on who was on duty and how much you were spending). Over time this developed into a bit of a focal point with many "regulars" meeting up there to exchange all the latest banter and gossip and news. I even met a man there who offered me a job. I ended up working for him for two years.

I don't think you get that on an airliner.

Back