Which inter US airlines do you recommend?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the most part the domestic airline market is won or lost on routes, frequencies, times, prices, and status rather than service.
Indeed, my comment was more about the Jeb Brookes Youtube video, which was trying to compare the service and experience between three broadly very similar products... Nothing in the video would make me choose one over the other, but no doubt it generated a bit of income for Mr. Brookes. ;) :cool:

I am flying for the first time since 2008 in October to the west coast. I normally prefer doing Amtrak and don’t like flying but I can’t afford to use the required time off this particular trip and really want to go. I am doing Alaska out and JetBlue back. What is your take on seat comfort with these and are the “more room” coach seats worth it? I may spring for a business upgrade if one is available - but didn’t want to pay the full up front cost.

I am doing Alaska out and JetBlue back. What is your take on seat comfort with these and are the “more room” coach seats worth it? I may spring for a business upgrade if one is available - but didn’t want to pay the full up front cost.
If you're tall the extra pitch can be worth every penny and you get a few other benefits like earlier boarding, easier luggage stowing, and free drinks.* In the case of Alaska Airlines the First Class pitch is not that different from Premium Class but the width is greater and you can pre-book a meal between two weeks and 24 hours. Alaska is one of the few (only?) airlines who still use full galleys on regional aircraft so even Horizon flights can include hot meals in First. Be aware that if you do not pre-book (or you upgrade day-of) there may be no meals available. This includes plated meals in First and purchasable snacks in Premium. I have never flown JetBlue so I cannot speak to that experience.

*The exception among US legacies is United Airlines where you only receive the increased pitch and nothing else.

Last edited:
If you're tall the extra pitch can be worth every penny and you get a few other benefits like earlier boarding, easier luggage stowing, and free drinks.* In the case of Alaska Airlines the First Class pitch is not that different from Premium Class but the width is greater and you can pre-book a meal between two weeks and 24 hours. Alaska is one of the few (only?) airlines who still use full galleys on regional aircraft so even Horizon flights can include hot meals in First. Be aware that if you do not pre-book (or you upgrade day-of) there may be no meals available. This includes plated meals in First and purchasable snacks in Premium. I have never flown JetBlue so I cannot speak to that experience.

*The exception among US legacies is United Airlines where you only receive the increased pitch and nothing else.
I think I am going to purchase premium on the Alaska flight - thanks for the info!

I am flying for the first time since 2008 in October to the west coast. I normally prefer doing Amtrak and don’t like flying but I can’t afford to use the required time off this particular trip and really want to go. I am doing Alaska out and JetBlue back. What is your take on seat comfort with these and are the “more room” coach seats worth it? I may spring for a business upgrade if one is available - but didn’t want to pay the full up front cost.
JetBlue is an excellent airline from a comfort perspective. Their regular coach seats have at least 32 inches of pitch and all are 18 inches wide. JetBlue also offers free, fast WiFi throughout the flight and every seat has an amazing seat back entertainment system. If you are flying to the west coast you may be on a flight that offers Mint, which is their “business” class service. It offers lie flat seats, free meals and drinks, and exceptional service. There are however some drawbacks to JetBlue. Most of their flights do not have Mint, even when flying cross country. And most importantly, they have a terrible operational reputation. Their flights are regularly delayed and they do not have the ability to put you on another carrier. On a lot of routes they only fly once or twice a day so if your flight is severely delayed they will not present many options for you. I’m sorry for the novel but as someone that lives in New England I have a lot of experience with JetBlue.

That's my concern with JetBlue as well.... American, United, and Delta have issues, but they run so many planes they can usually get you where you need to go. My one experience flying JetBlue was great though - very friendly attendant, comfortable seats. They gave coach passengers individual bottles of water throughout the flight.

Alaska is solid. Premium Economy class is a bit more legroom, so for nonstop transcontinental flights it may be worth to buy up. Sometimes First class is not much more than economy depending on the fare buckets. Alaska may not run a lot of transcontinental flights so be mindful of service recovery to/from the east coast, though they are now partnered with OneWorld so they can push you onto an American flight (for better or worse!).

I've only flown JetBlue once but that was well before they went the ultra-low-cost carrier route. Keep in mind that service recovery is often terrible with JetBlue, especially if your only flying options are from JFK or Boston to your destination.

Last edited:
I would suggest you check out "SeatGuru". You can pull up specific pitch and width dimensions for specific airlines and their various aircraft, and if you know your actual aircraft model once you've chosen a flight, you can see which specific seats have advantages or potential disadvantages.

I would suggest you check out "SeatGuru". You can pull up specific pitch and width dimensions for specific airlines and their various aircraft, and if you know your actual aircraft model once you've chosen a flight, you can see which specific seats have advantages or potential disadvantages.
SeatGuru was way out of date and not being updated. Has that changed recently?

SeatGuru was way out of date and not being updated. Has that changed recently?
Apparently TripAdvisor ran out of cash and cut the original creator loose leaving the site to die. What's funny is that with C19 going on I did not even notice the change until years later when the mismatches and missing entries started becoming obvious and repetitive. It was just so ingrained in my trip planning.

Link: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/seat-guru

I've tried using https://www.aerolopa.com/ as a replacement but it's not the same. Maybe https://seatmaps.com/ is better.

It was just so easy plugging "AA 738 seats" into google and immediately being within a click or two of the information you wanted.

Hi Folks,

I am visiting the USA this September, and for the first time ever, I am thinking of incorporating some flights, rather than Amtrak rides only.

Is there anything to know, or to choose between the budget airlines? I am seeing options such as Spirit, Allegiance, Alaska, etc.

One tends to go for just lowest price at my end of the market, but is one carrier much less reliable, etc etc?

Thanks!

Ed.
My personal opinion is that if you're used to the likes of Ryanair, even the most spartan US carrier is luxury and highly customer-focused in comparison.

Apparently TripAdvisor ran out of cash and cut the original creator loose leaving the site to die. What's funny is that with C19 going on I did not even notice the change until years later when the mismatches and missing entries started becoming obvious and repetitive. It was just so ingrained in my trip planning.

Link: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/seat-guru

I've tried using https://www.aerolopa.com/ as a replacement but it's not the same. Maybe https://seatmaps.com/ is better.

It was just so easy plugging "AA 738 seats" into google and immediately being within a click or two of the information you wanted.
Good to know. Looks like seatmaps is the way to go.

This was a fascinating thread to read, and it’s clear opinions run deep regarding airlines.

The reality, as I see it (I fly >40,000 miles a year for work), is that for the average person, whatever that means to you, the vast majority of flights on all major, non budget, US carriers will be the same - with only minor differences here and there.

And no, I don’t see huge differences in quality of economy seating product when comparing similar tiered domestic and international airlines.

Last edited:
The reality, as I see it (I fly >40,000 miles a year for work), is that for the average person, whatever that means to you, the vast majority of flights on all major, non budget, US carriers will be the same - with only minor differences here and there.
In general terms I think many travelers realize that Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit are in one group, with American, Delta, and United in another, and Southwest doing their own thing. Like you I'm doubtful they can articulate what is different between airlines within each group or how they compare with B6 or AS.

And no, I don’t see huge differences in quality of economy seating product when comparing similar tiered domestic and international airlines.
AA, AS, & DL have a better domestic W/Y+ experience than UA and it's not close IMO. I'd put DL/AS above AA above UA and avoid G4, F9, NK. I'd have no problem trying B6 or MX if they worked with my routing and schedule. International I tend to choose non-NA carriers for better soft products.

Last edited:
In general terms I think many travelers realize that Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit are in one group, with American, Delta, and United in another, and Southwest doing their own thing. Like you I'm doubtful they can articulate what is different between airlines within each group or how they compare with B6 or AS.

AA, AS, & DL have a better domestic W/Y+ experience than UA and it's not close IMO. I'd put DL/AS above AA above UA and avoid G4, F9, NK. I'd have no problem trying B6 or MX if they worked with my routing and schedule. International I tend to choose non-NA carriers for better soft products.
Someone is going to have to translate all of these airline codes. AS, G4 F9, NK, B6, MX?

I presume W/Y+ means premium economy class.

Anyway, since BWI is my home airport, I usually need to fly Southwest if I want to get a nonstop flight to most places.

AA, AS, & DL have a better domestic W/Y+ experience than UA and it's not close IMO. I'd put DL/AS above AA above UA and avoid G4, F9, NK.
Surprised that you put UA that low. They've been working on upgrading their fleet for a while now. I think they'll definitely surpass AA.

Back