Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment (2Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the state of affairs in 2023, when Alstom was unable to produce the necessary simulation software to behave like the actual train, when they were planning to use the simulation software as a component of the certification testing, the very fact that FRA is finding it useful to actually do test runs against a now validated simulation is in itself a huge progress. Before this the project was pretty much dead in the water. Now it is pretty close to getting certified and ready to be deployed.
Will it be deployed in revenue service in 2024?

Sounds like KP2022 is going a weird route. They will be going north but I think they exited the Penn Coach Yard south and are going to come through the station and need 2 minutes to reset a breaker.

Don't know if it's Avelia Liberty yet and I didn't hear the testing boundaries.
Avelia Liberty just got around the yard towards the zoo at 8:44PM and is heading north.
Passed over the Schuylkill at 8:47PM on track 1.

Last edited:
Given the state of affairs in 2023, when Alstom was unable to produce the necessary simulation software to behave like the actual train, when they were planning to use the simulation software as a component of the certification testing, the very fact that FRA is finding it useful to actually do test runs against a now validated simulation is in itself a huge progress. Before this the project was pretty much dead in the water. Now it is pretty close to getting certified and ready to be deployed.
Yep, the computer model certification was the biggest stumbling block for Alstom for the longest time, and they finally got it together and passed it in January (reportedly after 14 tries, but they did it). It and the approval to continue testing is the biggest reason why the testing has been coming thick and fast pretty much since April, since they really seem determined to make up for lost time and get them going again, ideally by the end of this year to meet that target which hasn't changed in months. Sounds to me that they're reasonably confident since the target hasn't been moved in nearly a year.

Sounds like KP2022 is going a weird route. They will be going north but I think they exited the Penn Coach Yard south and are going to come through the station and need 2 minutes to reset a breaker.

Don't know if it's Avelia Liberty yet and I didn't hear the testing boundaries.
Avelia Liberty just got around the yard towards the zoo at 8:44PM and is heading north.
Passed over the Schuylkill at 8:47PM on track 1.
The trainset was south yesterday. They couldn’t come in the normal way through 2 lead as they were temporarily out of service. So they had to come out the MH and go through the station to get to the testing area.

An Avelia Liberty trainset is moving north out of the Penn Coach Yard as of 8:21PM.

At 8:25PM it just started reversing back into the yard.

At 8:30PM it looks like it's continuing south, possibly like last night.

8:51PM CETC-5 gave KP2022 permission to the signal (no idea which one)

9:06PM KP2022 made it around the station (waited for an NJT) and is heading back north past the yard. I'm guessing the testing plan was already discussed over the phone so that's all I got.

Last edited:
Publicly, Amtrak is on the very late 2024 timeline. That might mean running one trainset in revenue service on the 31st, but they haven't publicly said they'll miss that deadline. Yet.

Given the track record Alstom's had recently, the optimistic online opinion is before summer 2025, but it's not clear how much before summer or how many trainsets would actually be available.

Back