Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment (2Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the state of affairs in 2023, when Alstom was unable to produce the necessary simulation software to behave like the actual train, when they were planning to use the simulation software as a component of the certification testing, the very fact that FRA is finding it useful to actually do test runs against a now validated simulation is in itself a huge progress. Before this the project was pretty much dead in the water. Now it is pretty close to getting certified and ready to be deployed.
Will it be deployed in revenue service in 2024?

Sounds like KP2022 is going a weird route. They will be going north but I think they exited the Penn Coach Yard south and are going to come through the station and need 2 minutes to reset a breaker.

Don't know if it's Avelia Liberty yet and I didn't hear the testing boundaries.
Avelia Liberty just got around the yard towards the zoo at 8:44PM and is heading north.
Passed over the Schuylkill at 8:47PM on track 1.

Last edited:
Given the state of affairs in 2023, when Alstom was unable to produce the necessary simulation software to behave like the actual train, when they were planning to use the simulation software as a component of the certification testing, the very fact that FRA is finding it useful to actually do test runs against a now validated simulation is in itself a huge progress. Before this the project was pretty much dead in the water. Now it is pretty close to getting certified and ready to be deployed.
Yep, the computer model certification was the biggest stumbling block for Alstom for the longest time, and they finally got it together and passed it in January (reportedly after 14 tries, but they did it). It and the approval to continue testing is the biggest reason why the testing has been coming thick and fast pretty much since April, since they really seem determined to make up for lost time and get them going again, ideally by the end of this year to meet that target which hasn't changed in months. Sounds to me that they're reasonably confident since the target hasn't been moved in nearly a year.

Sounds like KP2022 is going a weird route. They will be going north but I think they exited the Penn Coach Yard south and are going to come through the station and need 2 minutes to reset a breaker.

Don't know if it's Avelia Liberty yet and I didn't hear the testing boundaries.
Avelia Liberty just got around the yard towards the zoo at 8:44PM and is heading north.
Passed over the Schuylkill at 8:47PM on track 1.
The trainset was south yesterday. They couldn’t come in the normal way through 2 lead as they were temporarily out of service. So they had to come out the MH and go through the station to get to the testing area.

An Avelia Liberty trainset is moving north out of the Penn Coach Yard as of 8:21PM.

At 8:25PM it just started reversing back into the yard.

At 8:30PM it looks like it's continuing south, possibly like last night.

8:51PM CETC-5 gave KP2022 permission to the signal (no idea which one)

9:06PM KP2022 made it around the station (waited for an NJT) and is heading back north past the yard. I'm guessing the testing plan was already discussed over the phone so that's all I got.

Last edited:
Publicly, Amtrak is on the very late 2024 timeline. That might mean running one trainset in revenue service on the 31st, but they haven't publicly said they'll miss that deadline. Yet.

Given the track record Alstom's had recently, the optimistic online opinion is before summer 2025, but it's not clear how much before summer or how many trainsets would actually be available.

I heard KP 2022 out last night on the BERRY talking to CTEC-6, I'm not sure if they were doing a Charger test train or something with one of the new highspeed sets. I caught the tail end of the conversation.
It was a Charger set and I summarized the events in the Charger thread. It was a disaster because of multiple speed sensor issues so it looks like they're back out tonight. If you're watching specific traffic cameras on 511pa.com you can sometimes look directly at the Penn Coach Yard or the bridge over the Schuylkill. Yard moves are slow and yard-to-NEC moves often have the train stop right on the bridge in front of Mantua to let revenue trains pass first. There are also additional camera pass-bys along I-95 if none of the other ones is suitable.

It's been a while but I didn't forget... collecting all the radio traffic (only what I capture) and all YouTube media starting from August 5th.

Night 8/5 - morning 8/6
10:07PM - KP2022 needs protection on 4 track for 5 minutes
10:13PM - received protection 4 track Lincoln - County
10:19PM - KP2022 calling dispatcher
10:23PM - foul cleared

Night 8/16 - morning 8/17
9:25PM - KP2022 requested a foul (with an audible deceleration sound)
9:30PM - 9:45PM - Dispatcher can't reach KP2022
9:45PM - KP2022 received foul 2 track County - Edison
9:52PM - cleared foul
10:52PM - requested foul 2 track; received in same minute
10:52PM - KP2022 to #3737: "train runs great" but "failing indication" ???
11:00PM - protection cleared

Night 8/19 - morning 8/20
9:28PM - KP2022 talking to #138 near New Brunswick

Night 8/20 - morning 8/21
10:56PM - #3737 talks to KP2022 (trying to catch the moon)
11:08PM - KP2022 needs to call dispatcher
11:42PM - again
2:34AM - Test train ("just hit Ham") is interfering with #3805 which needs to use low levels at Jersey Ave (track 1 is out?)
2:45AM - #3805: "Call it a night, KP"
3:07AM - C&S (Communications and Signals) arrived at County for testing
3:18AM - C&S takes local control, leaves 3 to 3 (east) for test train
3:38AM - C&S was requested to do 3 to 3 west, likely for the test train's last run and/or return to Philadelphia

I see they use the pocket between Fair and Ham ("hit Ham" should mean they run through it) to turn around at the west end. If they do the run in 12 minutes over the 23 miles, that's an average of 115mph. I think it takes them 40 minutes to do a round trip. They spend almost as much time walking and preparing the train for turnaround as they do actually moving it.

It also seems like there are two distinct or typical timeframes for testing: 9PM - 12AM and 9PM - 3:45AM

Night 8/21 - morning 8/22
10:45PM - KP2022 needs to call dispatcher
1:49AM - KP2022 is ready (to go west? - can't hear)
1:51AM - Dispatcher: KP2022 must wait for a train to cross at Ham (before starting westbound run)

Night 9/3 - morning 9/4
11:50PM - Extra 843 (becomes KP2022) requested to call dispatcher
11:52PM - KP2022 receives protection 4 track County - Lincoln
12:11AM - KP2022 clears protection by dispatcher request (#3895 needs to pass)

This trainset (TS2) transformed from an extra move into a test train and did testing in Pennsylvania. (thanks amtraktrains.com Acela150)

Night 9/4 - morning 9/5
10:52PM - Dispatcher: "how many more round trips?" (presumably to KP2022)

The dispatcher's radio (the station at Metuchen) broke in a hilarious fashion (fix around 3:22AM) and #3737 didn't know what was happening.

11:00PM - #3737 asks KP2022 if the train's radio is clear
11:03PM - KP2022 talking to #3737: "Train is rock solid" and something about the "FRA"
11:05PM - Dispatcher tries to ask about round trips again

The paint is falling off? Are you guys serious?
I heard this is not a big deal once the operator (Amtrak) gets a chance to actually paint it.

Howdy, JL. Thanks for your updates. Is it possible you can get another video run by at Princeton Jct? I think that station is near County or Ham interlocking, don't remember anymore.
Here it is.

I've tried to put this in order, although I have to filter out garbage low-information or duplicate videos (usually YouTube shorts for both of these categories) where they're likely duplicates or likely too far in the past.

Amtrak’s new Acela sets sitting in Philly!
Shared August 4, 2024

Amtrak Phase II P42DC 130, ACS-64s, and Avelia Liberty trainsets in Philadelphia
Shared August 14, 2024

RARE Amtrak Avelia Liberty Leaves Kingston Track 3 #railfanning #train #railroad #amtrak
Shared August 16, 2024

Acela Express 2173 & Amtrak Alstom Avelia Liberty Test Train at Hamilton, NJ
Shared August 16, 2024

Awesome MBTA & Amtrak Action @ Canton Junction ft: Avelia Liberty Extra, & Corridor Clipper!
Shared August 20, 2024

Can't have more than 5 pieces of media per post.

Amtrak Alstom Avelia Liberty (Acela 21) Test Train, Keystone 657 & NJ Transit Deadhead at Hamilton
Shared August 20, 2024

Acela/Avelia at TF Green Warwick RI
Shared August 23, 2024

Morning trains @ Kingston, RI (Caught Avelia Liberty TS8)
Shared August 22, 2024

Amtrak Avelia Liberty at the #Bronx River Bascules #shorts #newyork #speed #urban #graffiti #city
Shared August 22, 2024

Acela Avelia at Newark Penn @Theofficaltransitpenguin #amtrak #fyp #trains # railfanning
Shared August 22, 2024

Amtrak Avelia Liberty at Metuchen Station (8-22-24)
Shared August 22, 2024

EXCLUSIVE! Acela Avelia Liberty Test Train Bypassing Princeton Junction Station!
Shared August 22, 2024

Princeton Junction Railfanning (8/26/24) (New Jersey Transit & Amtrak)
Shared September 3, 2024

Amtrak Phase II P42DC 130 and Avelia Liberty trainsets at 30th Street Coach Yard
Shared August 27, 2024

AVELIA TEST EXTRA following A-93 today. Clear Hyde Park MA 9:48 AM #mbta #train #railroad #shorts
Shared August 30, 2024

Acela/Avelia Pawtucket- Central Falls RI
Shared August 30, 2024

Amtrak Avelia test train clears Newark #shorts
Shared August 30, 2024

Catch of the day: Avelia Liberty move through Princeton Junction
Shared August 30, 2024

Avelia Liberty Trainsets At Philadelphia Train Yard (8/29/2024)
Shared August 31, 2024

Amtrak Avelia Test Train Passing Rahway 8/30/24
Shared September 4, 2024

Amtrak avelia Liberty at Sunnyside yard! (Shot via a pair of binoculars)
Shared September 7, 2024

Amtrak's Avelia Liberty at Bristol PA northbound 9/10/24. #amtrak #Avelia
Shared September 10, 2024

Avelia amtrak sighting connecticut
Shared September 10, 2024

Short Catches #2: Avelia Liberty Test Run + More Amtrak at Newark, Delaware
Shared September 14, 2024

Short: Amtrak Avelia Liberty Test Run passing through Newark, Delaware
Shared October 2, 2024 (clearly the same date and location of the video above)

It's been a month with just a few moves and no speed testing. Let's hope the FRA has good news this go-around.

Back