Acela 21 (Avelia Liberty) development, testing and deployment (2Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8:06PM - Avelia Liberty lights on in Penn Coach Yard. Immediately went on the move.

This trainset was parked closer to the viaduct (normally they take the one near the parking garage) so I wonder if this is a test of a different trainset or they re-arranged things today.

8:09PM - KP2022 to CETC-5: Holmes - Grundy testing today (Pennsylvania)

8:30PM - KP2022 stopped over the Schuylkill river

8:43PM - Left the bridge and headed east

Last edited:
The test bed set was moved to Track 30 in the yard. I took a look this morning to confirm.
Thanks. I guess it's easy to tell because its paint is falling off.

~8:27PM KP2022 sitting around waiting for dispatcher near Penn Coach Yard. I think they said they're on the MH track. Sounds like they're waiting on 55 which is heading towards Wilmington.

9:04PM KP2022 OK on signal indication. At 9:07PM Avelia Liberty passed South St heading south.

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess it's easy to tell because its paint is falling off.

~8:27PM KP2022 sitting around waiting for dispatcher near Penn Coach Yard. I think they said they're on the MH track. Sounds like they're waiting on 55 which is heading towards Wilmington.

9:04PM KP2022 OK on signal indication. At 9:07PM Avelia Liberty passed South St heading south.

Their are a few ways for me to tell what the test bed set looks like and where it is.

I’m on train 2150 northbound right now. Just south of Kingston, RI, an Avelia passed us traveling southbound at high speed. Luckily I got a video of it, the only number I can make out is the back power car number, 2124.

Assuming they’re doing tests on the “high speed” section?

I’m on train 2150 northbound right now. Just south of Kingston, RI, an Avelia passed us traveling southbound at high speed. Luckily I got a video of it, the only number I can make out is the back power car number, 2124.

Assuming they’re doing tests on the “high speed” section?

Negative. Trainset is on the way to Philly.

Well, the way I see it seems these things will not be working any time soon. They make great looking trains running up and down the Corridor for decorative purposes. I never had a working HO set and catching an Acela 2 should be a treat to look at, riding in one is just not in the cards I suppose.

TS 2 the test bed set is slated to return to Philly tonight (9/3)

Are they running as Extra 843? At 11:50PM 843 requested a foul 4 track County - Lincoln.

CETC-8 mentioned KP2022 when clearing the foul though at 12:10AM. Did they change names while traveling or is there ambiguity around its running name?

What is the purpose of these test runs? There is a gloom and doom thread on another railfan website stating these trains will never carry passengers. It does not make sense to me that Amtrak would pay employees to run these trains up and down the corridor if they were not going to be put into service.

Are they running as Extra 843? At 11:50PM 843 requested a foul 4 track County - Lincoln.

CETC-8 mentioned KP2022 when clearing the foul though at 12:10AM. Did they change names while traveling or is there ambiguity around its running name?
What is the purpose of these test runs? There is a gloom and doom thread on another railfan website stating these trains will never carry passengers. It does not make sense to me that Amtrak would pay employees to run these trains up and down the corridor if they were not going to be put into service.
They were running as 843 yes. I believe that the 2022 crew picked up the trainset in NYP.

Ignore the doom and gloom. The purpose of the testing is to satisfy FRA requirements.

I understood that there would be a series of tests, and the new trains would eventually enter service in 2024. So now I have been seeing posts about test runs but no updates about progress.
Given the state of affairs in 2023, when Alstom was unable to produce the necessary simulation software to behave like the actual train, when they were planning to use the simulation software as a component of the certification testing, the very fact that FRA is finding it useful to actually do test runs against a now validated simulation is in itself a huge progress. Before this the project was pretty much dead in the water. Now it is pretty close to getting certified and ready to be deployed.

Given the state of affairs in 2023, when Alstom was unable to produce the necessary simulation software to behave like the actual train, when they were planning to use the simulation software as a component of the certification testing, the very fact that FRA is finding it useful to actually do test runs against a now validated simulation is in itself a huge progress. Before this the project was pretty much dead in the water. Now it is pretty close to getting certified and ready to be deployed.
As always, Jishnu, you provide a balanced, informed context for what is going on, which I appreciate very much. I am looking forward to riding these trains.

Back