ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense. There's an awesome photo op from ALC on top of a nearby viaduct, I could get the whole consist, if it got delayed a few hours. I hope somebody around HFY has been getting shots of these super CLs, that would make for pretty pictures.

601 is sitting in ivy city Washington and the 606 is sitting in Wilmington

603 sitting at NYP, visible from the west end of the platforms this AM, 11/30/13

600 and 606 sitting in WIL, visible from the corridor this PM, 11/30/13

I don't have picture proof but I've seen the 602 inside the Wilmington shops and it has been done over like the other units.

How about a test run with the 18 Amfleets they're supposed to handle. That's they only way to verify its pulling power.

Any scuttlebutt on revenue service, now that the Thanksgiving crush is complete?
Ryan I read on Railroad.net that a FRA speed run is required and that should come this week. But I'm not sure how factual that is.
It's coming from ThirdRail, IIRC, and he's pretty reliable.

How about a test run with the 18 Amfleets they're supposed to handle. That's they only way to verify its pulling power.
In due time, hopefully. I can't see them making that kind of a claim and then not at least testing it once to put some stock behind their words. Also, if the Chamber of Commerce train goes back up to 18 cars from the 14 cars it's recently been, then we'll be seeing this kind of move at least yearly. So, really, no rush.

But how do you simulate a test run with 18 *full* Amfleets, which weigh more than 18 empty Amfleets? ;)

I haven't seen one of these in real life yet.

Can anybody who has seen them actually working say whether they make the musical scale sound when starting similar to many Siemens locomotives in Europe?

I haven't seen one of these in real life yet.

Can anybody who has seen them actually working say whether they make the musical scale sound when starting similar to many Siemens locomotives in Europe?
Nope, no "musical scale" on the 64s, at least not from what I heard from the videos. Look up "Amtrak 602 test run" on Youtube and listen to the engine near the end of the video.

When are roof shrouds for the center (main body) going to be installed?
They might not install them on these units. But bear in mind that when the HST's and HHP's were tested and accepted into service it took a long time before the shrouds were installed.
Is this what you are talking about?

IMG_0593.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back