ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen one of these in real life yet.

Can anybody who has seen them actually working say whether they make the musical scale sound when starting similar to many Siemens locomotives in Europe?
The musical scale heard on the "Taurus" comes from older GTO inverter technology. Newer locomotives have IGBT inverter technology.

Based on the following two videos:

http://youtu.be/XJ8iPLq1H1Q?t=3m25s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbHIUFajhbM

I have modeled the potential motor sounds for the ACS-64 in OpenBVE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkWtbkcPNc

This may of course change once they go into service, and more high quality clips of the propulsion sounds from this locomotive are captured.

When are roof shrouds for the center (main body) going to be installed?
They might not install them on these units. But bear in mind that when the HST's and HHP's were tested and accepted into service it took a long time before the shrouds were installed.
Is this what you are talking about?

IMG_0593.JPG
The panel in the back, with the straight blue roofline, looks to be what i was inquiring, yes.

On my commute on the Marc train out of DC's Union Station this morning I was greeted by this sight. It was still at Union Station this evening as well.
BapHpCDIQAAqwjh.jpg

4 of them parked outside of Wilmington shops just now
Last time I checked the 600, 602 and the 606 was there but I know the 606 is in new haven. I think the 603 may have went back to Wilmington because I didn't see it in penn station or Sunnyside. So I'm wondering which is the forth motor?

sorry, didn't think fast enough to try and get numbers since i wasn't specifically looking and kind of surprised to see that many.

i posted about 5 minutes after seeing them so they probably have a nice layer of snow on them tomorrow AM. they're lined up for a nice pic, 2 per track next to the building that's on the side of the corridor.

When are roof shrouds for the center (main body) going to be installed?
They might not install them on these units. But bear in mind that when the HST's and HHP's were tested and accepted into service it took a long time before the shrouds were installed.
Is this what you are talking about?

IMG_0593.JPG
The panel in the back, with the straight blue roofline, looks to be what i was inquiring, yes.
When I first saw this picture I thought, wow that looks familiar! Then I realized-I took it!! I'm glad to see that my pictures are useful as a reference. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!

-acelaphillies

605 is back In Wilmington from Boston along with the 601 from Washington

Well 606 was gone from New Haven when I went by earlier today. Don't know where it went, but again it wasn't in NHV.

The December 2013 issue of the Amtrak Ink publication has been posted on the website. In the Boardman column, he has this to say:in his year in review and looking ahead comments: "Our new ACS-64 locomotives will debut early in 2014 on the Northeast Corridor and we unveiled the new Viewliner II long-distance rolling stock that will go into testing next year". So the start date for the ACS-64s has officially slipped into 2014, hopefully no later than January.

Another website infers a small glitch or bug came up that's expected to be soonly resolved. Its proximaty to a conversation about potential challenges the power demands of the ACSs on MetroNorth has me wondering if it's related to the beleagured MN.

Another website infers a small glitch or bug came up that's expected to be soonly resolved. Its proximaty to a conversation about potential challenges the power demands of the ACSs on MetroNorth has me wondering if it's related to the beleagured MN.
Lol the employees were making references to "sight" so I'm venturing a guess that it has something to do with line of visibility or some equipment that is related to that... lol we won't know until it's resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back