Airo - Amfleet I replacement Siemens Inter City Trainsets (ICT) (2-3Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t comment on most of these services but when they announced the Consists for the New Haven Springfield service and Vermonter I was surprised.
The Hartford line service is usually one locomotive and 3 coaches. The Airo they plan for it is 6 coaches though those coaches now include a cafe car.

The Vermonter on the other hand is usually a 5 car consist. Airo would go up to an 8 car.

I keep seeing mention of a Business class which also doesn’t exist on the Flyer. It technically does on the Vermonter but it’s an awful lot of money for a can of soda.
In the Northeast regional it’s even worse as they use Amfleet 1 coaches. The Flyer and Vermonter use Amfleet 2 for coach. It’s almost like Amtrak is punishing business class for not taking the Acela.

Anyway this makes me wonder if Amtrak isn’t just looking to improve its rolling stock but also improve and expand its business class services across its commuter trains.

Last edited:
Sounds like Amtrak is going to be hauling a lot of empty seats around on New Haven-Springfield and the Vermonter, unless they're planning on doing a heck of a lot of promotion to generate new ridership.

Back