albany arrival

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just some quick help on the albany arrival time of the westbound lsl from nyp?

i need to know the layover

i see the arrival time is misprinted on the online amtrak.com (4:15 pm-time travel?) lsl schedule

just some quick help on the albany arrival time of the westbound lsl from nyp?i need to know the layover

i see the arrival time is misprinted on the online amtrak.com (4:15 pm-time travel?) lsl schedule
Not knowing exactly were your question comes from, I'll try to answer as best as I can making presumptions.

The layover at ALB is variable depending on when both the Boston run and the New York run arrive. If the nyp run gets there first then the layover for those on board will be longer than those on the Boston run. Once both trains arrive they are married, coupled or whatever it's actually called then rolls out on it's way toward Schenectady and all points west.

You attendant should be able to give you an idea while you're onboard, but there is not real way of knowing for sure before that! BTW, if the attendant tells you that you can detrain and have time to go into the station and you have a laptop w/wireless capabilities, there is RoadRunner wireless available in there for free! Just make sure you have enough time! Have a good one! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
just some quick help on the albany arrival time of the westbound lsl from nyp?i need to know the layover

Not knowing exactly were your question comes from, I'll try to answer as best as I can making presumptions.

The layover at ALB is variable depending on when both the Boston run and the New York run arrive. If the nyp run gets there first then the layover for those on board will be longer than those on the Boston run. Once both trains arrive they are married, coupled or whatever it's actually called then rolls out on it's way toward Schenectady and all points west.

You attendant should be able to give you an idea while you're onboard, but there is not real way of knowing for sure before that! BTW, if the attendant tells you that you can detrain and have time to go into the station and you have a laptop w/wireless capabilities, there is RoadRunner wireless available in there for free! Just make sure you have enough time! Have a good one! :p
Joe,

That was the old procedure. Amtrak hasn't combined the Boston train physically with the NY train in probably 3 years or more now. The Boston train has become nothing more than a stub train that runs solely between Boston and ALB only. All passengers and luggage must make a physical transfer from the stub train to the main train at ALB.

That said, the same rule still does apply, the NY train will not leave until the Boston stubbie arrives in ALB. Although that rarely happens these days. Usually the Boston stub has arrived long before the train from NY.

I was on the LSL Sunday, and noticed the typo as well. I think it's supposed to be 6:15.
We departed NYP at 3:45, and arrived at ALB at 6:15, for a 45 minute layover.

I do believe some of the LSL's depart at 4:00pm - might make it a shorter layover.

Joe,

That was the old procedure. Amtrak hasn't combined the Boston train physically with the NY train in probably 3 years or more now. The Boston train has become nothing more than a stub train that runs solely between Boston and ALB only. All passengers and luggage must make a physical transfer from the stub train to the main train at ALB.

That said, the same rule still does apply, the NY train will not leave until the Boston stubbie arrives in ALB. Although that rarely happens these days. Usually the Boston stub has arrived long before the train from NY.
Alan,

Thanks for the update! I last departed from ALB on June 30 this year and didn't know of the change. But then again, I was rolled out to my sleeper in a wheel chair and couldn't observe anything otherwise. I just sat in the terminal with my laptop on this website!

The last time I left from there (from the old station) was 4 years ago, and that must have been not too long before the change. It also sounds like the change may have taken place in conjuntion with the new station and platform. Might I be right about that?

BTW, I'm just courious, how did you come about being so knowledgeable about Amtrak? Seems like you have more of an understanding than most, including their employees!

I last departed from ALB on June 30 this year and didn't know of the change. But then again, I was rolled out to my sleeper in a wheel chair and couldn't observe anything otherwise. I just sat in the terminal with my laptop on this website!
The last time I left from there (from the old station) was 4 years ago, and that must have been not too long before the change. It also sounds like the change may have taken place in conjuntion with the new station and platform. Might I be right about that?
I used to live north of ALB, and remember the old station (both of them) and the switching. But the change occurred sometime after the new station was built (and being used). The 1st time I saw and used the new station was on a trip from BOS (through ALB) to CHI on the LSL in 2003. I went into the station on the westbound trip, but stayed aboard on the eastbound trip. (It didn't help that we were 9 hours late, due to a loco breakdown! :eek: ) And the cars were switched to/from the NY section even at that time.

So the change must have been sometime between 2003 and now, but I'm not sure of the date, but I would guess 2004 or 2005.

I last departed from ALB on June 30 this year and didn't know of the change. But then again, I was rolled out to my sleeper in a wheel chair and couldn't observe anything otherwise. I just sat in the terminal with my laptop on this website!
I used to live north of ALB, and remember the old station (both of them) and the switching. But the change occurred sometime after the new station was built (and being used). The 1st time I saw and used the new station was on a trip from BOS (through ALB) to CHI on the LSL in 2003. I went into the station on the westbound trip, but stayed aboard on the eastbound trip. (It didn't help that we were 9 hours late, due to a loco breakdown! :eek: ) And the cars were switched to/from the NY section even at that time.

So the change must have been sometime between 2003 and now, but I'm not sure of the date, but I would guess 2004 or 2005.
Thanks for your comments! It made me realize that I made a mistake when I said that I last used ALB in 2004. It was actually 2002! I would made some comment about CRS, but someone would think I was talking about an Amtrak destination! :rolleyes:

Correct, it was in the Fall of 2004. When I passed through there in August 2004, the cars from Boston joined the train from New York and continued on to Chicago. When I travelled there again in December 2004, coming from Chicago we had to actually transfer cars to continue on to Boston.

I was in ALB in July 08 - We were on the Eastbound LSL and pulled into ALB - we got off the LSL and were told to board the train across the platform if we wanted to go to Boston.

The train was NOT split, cars to NYP and cars to BOS. Folks going to BOS got on the stubbie.

I assume it worked the same way Westbound, but we just boarded the WB LSL and got off in CHI and had pizza at Giordano's

I was in ALB in July 08 - We were on the Eastbound LSL and pulled into ALB - we got off the LSL and were told to board the train across the platform if we wanted to go to Boston.
The train was NOT split, cars to NYP and cars to BOS. Folks going to BOS got on the stubbie.

I assume it worked the same way Westbound, but we just boarded the WB LSL and got off in CHI and had pizza at Giordano's
Was the pizza so nice you had to tell us twice? :lol: Just kidd'n!

Joe,

Alan,

Thanks for the update! I last departed from ALB on June 30 this year and didn't know of the change. But then again, I was rolled out to my sleeper in a wheel chair and couldn't observe anything otherwise. I just sat in the terminal with my laptop on this website!

The last time I left from there (from the old station) was 4 years (correction 6 years) ago, and that must have been not too long before the change. It also sounds like the change may have taken place in conjuntion with the new station and platform. Might I be right about that?

BTW, I'm just courious, how did you come about being so knowledgeable about Amtrak? Seems like you have more of an understanding than most, including their employees!
Just got this thought... I might have been confused and did not realize that the cars were no longer coupled because of something I heard on here not too long ago... that the pulling unit used on the New York run is swithed out in ALB.

Correct, it was in the Fall of 2004. When I passed through there in August 2004, the cars from Boston joined the train from New York and continued on to Chicago. When I travelled there again in December 2004, coming from Chicago we had to actually transfer cars to continue on to Boston.
Well remember that the change was sort of gradual and staggered. It happened initially during one winter where due to extreme cold in Chicago, Amtrak had major freezing problems with both the Viewliners and the Amfleets. So Amtrak stopped the run through cars for the duration of the winter. The run through however was restored in late spring and ran through the summer. It was then announced that they would once again suspend the run through for the winter again. However at some point during the winter, the decision was made to not restore the run though cars again come spring, and the stubie became permanent.

Joe,

Alan,

The last time I left from there (from the old station) was 4 years (correction 6 years) ago, and that must have been not too long before the change. It also sounds like the change may have taken place in conjuntion with the new station and platform. Might I be right about that?

Just got this thought... I might have been confused and did not realize that the cars were no longer coupled because of something I heard on here not too long ago... that the pulling unit used on the New York run is swithed out in ALB.
On that, you are correct. Between NYP and ALB, the LSL runs with a P32-ACDM. This is a special locomotive that basically looks almost exactly the same as the regular locos, the P42's, unless you know exactly what to look for. This sepcial loco can not only run under diesel power, it can also draw power from the LIRR's third rails in Penn Station. That allows them to turn off the diesel and prevents smoking up the station and MSG above it. But with a limited supply of these special locos, not to mention the fact that they don't have as much HP as the regular road units, they get taken off in ALB.

At that point, both today and in the past when the two sections were combined, two P42's are put on the train for the run west of Albany. In fact in the past when they were combining the two sections the loco's used where the ones that had pulled the Boston section to Albany.

As for your question, lots of riding (90,000 miles or so), lots of reading, helping to run two train websites, and just generally paying attention to things.

When they were combining the trains, what order did the cars typically end up in? Was the combined train assembled with the BOS sleeper next to the NYP sleepers and the BOS coach(es) next to the NYP coaches?

When they were combining the trains, what order did the cars typically end up in? Was the combined train assembled with the BOS sleeper next to the NYP sleepers and the BOS coach(es) next to the NYP coaches?
IIRC, I think the BOS sleepers and coaches were in the front, and the NYP coaches and sleepers were at the rear. This would make sense (Amtrak making sense? :lol: ), since the diesels being used (P42 or whatever at the time) went to BOS, and new P32's were put on the NYP section.

IIRC, I think the BOS sleepers and coaches were in the front, and the NYP coaches and sleepers were at the rear. This would make sense (Amtrak making sense? :lol: ), since the diesels being used (P42 or whatever at the time) went to BOS, and new P32's were put on the NYP section.
I believe that you're right! Giving some thought back to 2002 when I boarded, the car I was on was way-way back beyond the then end of the platform and my tickets were for the 49 out of NY and not the 449 out of Boston.

Joe,

Alan,

Alan is ALWAYS right because he has actually experienced the ride in question or has total knowledge of the trip. I would not challenge him on too many Amtrak related subjects~ he knows his business. ( I do reserve the right to question some of his answers!!!) :)

I don't recall ever seeing Amtrak move the Boston sleeper to be near the NYP sleepers. Perhaps early on in the history of Amtrak they did that, but in the last 10 to 15 years, they never did that. I've seen them do it both ways, Boston section up front and NYP in the rear, as well as NYP up front and Boston in the rear. I'm not home right now to check all of my consist notes, but I seem to recall that the Boston up front was only done for a year or two after the demise of Express Trak.

Prior to that point, NYP was always up front and Boston brought up the rear.

So was the order P42, P42, Boston baggage, Boston sleeper, Boston coach(es), cafe/lounge, diner, NYP coaches, NYP sleepers, NYP baggage?

So was the order P42, P42, Boston baggage, Boston sleeper, Boston coach(es), cafe/lounge, diner, NYP coaches, NYP sleepers, NYP baggage?
I'll have to check my notes once I get home and find them, but I believe that the diner went between the coaches and the sleepers. And again, remember that Boston only came first for like a year or two after the demise of Express Trak as I noted in my post above. Prior to that point, the NYP section ran first, followed by the Boston section.

IIRC it would've been Road Power, Boston Bag, Lounge, Boston Coach, New York Coach, Diner, New York Sleeper, New York Baggage, which is in line with what Alan recalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back