Amtrak delays 2023 H2 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Service Disruptions for 6/20/24.

Service Temporarily Disrupted Between Philadelphia 30th Street Station and New Haven Union Station
June 20, 2024 04:00 PM

Reports of a malfunctioning circuit breaker are said to be the cause of a widespread issue, resulting in a loss of power on the tracks between New York Penn Station and Newark Union Station. This issue will affect trains operating between Philadelphia 30th Street Station and New Haven Union Station. All services scheduled to travel in those areas are temporarily suspended until further notice. Personnel are troubleshooting the issue and hope to have a resolution soon. We will post updates here as soon as they are available.

There are now reports of a brush fire east of Newark Union Station. The local fire department is on the scene working to extingish the fire.

Customers with reservations on affected trains will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Follow us on X for real-time service information:
• @AmtrakNECAlerts for service information in the Northeast Corridor (Acela, Northeast Regional, and other corridor services).
• @AmtrakAlerts for service information outside the Northeast Corridor.

Subscribe at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts to receive automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations.

This information is correct as of the time and date above. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

New Summer of Hell?

Regarding today's issues in NJ

2:10:10PM Section A dispatcher asked if a train said they lost power on both power cars coming through Swift (repeating back what the engineer said)

With two power cars, it was certainly an Acela, so it was #2108. It got stuck just short of the Portal bridge and stopped showing on the map after 2 hours at 4:32PM: https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2024/06/20/A/2108

I don't know if #2108 got rescued, towed or is still out there.

2:10:46PM Section A dispatcher asked if NJT #5176 said they heard a loud boom east of Erie on 3 track (repeating back what the engineer said)

Erie (interlocking) is at the eastern edge of Secaucus Junction putting that right where the brush fire is. The relation between the brush fire and the loss of train power remains to be explained.

How this affected the Penn Station area itself also remains to be explained. NY Penn traction power comes through the tunnels under both rivers.

Service Disruptions for 6/20/24.

There are now reports of a brush fire east of Newark Union Station. The local fire department is on the scene working to extingish the fire.

This all must be occurring in a parallel universe where Newark is served by a "Union Station," and I suppose intercity passenger service is provided by an entity called "Amtrack." In our universe, the main passenger station in Newark served by Amtrak is called "Newark Penn Station," and NJT also serves a stop on a different line called "Broad Street Station." :)

This all must be occurring in a parallel universe where Newark is served by a "Union Station," and I suppose intercity passenger service is provided by an entity called "Amtrack." In our universe, the main passenger station in Newark served by Amtrak is called "Newark Penn Station," and NJT also serves a stop on a different line called "Broad Street Station." :)
Also I don't understand the reference to New Haven Union Station, unless they meant to say Newark and got it wrong.

Sometimes I wonder who writes these screeds. Given that there are so many errors, I sometimes wonder how accurate some of the information is too.

Anyway, in this case, the whole problem was between Newark Penn Station and New York Penn Station and as far as I can tell the only problem at New York Penn Station was that nothing was running between it and New Jersey.

Friday 6/21 was a bad day for Empire Service trains. A disabled NJT train blocked access to the Empire connection out of Penn Station, forcing suspension of service between NYP and Yonkers for several hours starting in mid-morning. Nos. 281 and 283, the two Niagara Falls trains, finally were able to depart after 3 p.m. and ran as a combined train, slightly ahead of the Lake Shore. They encountered another delay west of Syracuse, arriving into Rochester at 12:54 a.m.

As the cherry on top, the last departure of the night for Albany (scheduled at 10:45 p.m.) was delayed more than three hours by "mechanical problems." It finally left NYP at 1:57 a.m. and arrived into ALB by the dawn's early light at 4:55 a.m.

Today Monday it appears that there is a CAT problem at 1500h in one of the north river tunnels. However cannot confirm with any veracity. Maybe CAT problems on M&E Monday afternoon also. Sunday afternoon maybe CAT problems at Hoboken, Why are mostly NJ Transit trains involved although the North River tunnel is still unknown to this poster???

I believe a Facebook commentator (so, no better veracity than "it was revealed to me in a vision, by my cat") said there was a batch of bad pantographs received by NJT, who installed them anyway.

While that fits much of the observed pattern - SEPTA not regularly ripping down wires, for example - I certainly can't confirm it myself.

Lake Shore 449, due out of Boston at 12:50p, was delayed by an unspecified "equipment issue" yesterday (6/24) and didn't depart till 3:12 p.m. It lost more time going across Mass., arriving at Albany at 9:01p (due 6:10).

The Ethan Allen also ran into a "mechanical issue" almost immediately after departing New York at 2:19p. Another locomotive was dispatched to tow it back into NYP, from which it finally departed about 1:40 late. It went through Albany a bit after 7p (due out at 5:04p) and arrived in Burlington at 11:35p (due 9:50p).

Back