Amtrak Dining and Cafe Service discussion 2024 H2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vitrelle Glass (Corelle) might be a much better choice than actual china since it takes dishwashing much better, and is way less prone to chipping, which in commercial use, is an automatic disposal.
We switched from stoneware to Corelle at home when our kids were still growing up, and had far fewer broken-plate incidents when the kids helped with dishwashing.

I think Corelle is very good. It is not 100% unbreakable, if it falls just right it can break, but it is really hard to do. Takes washing at high temp well, looks and feels good, and is not terribly expensive. My set is from one of those deals ages ago where a bank gave you something for opening a CD. Over the years they did change to using stone wear mugs, I still have the original corelle ones.

I well remember a waiter with a loaded tray on the Canadian performing an NFL wide receiver move to maintain his balance while holding a loaded tray while the train made an unexpected lurch. He was bent at the waist and kept his feet planted like a wide receiver, keeping his feet in bounds while catching a pass.

I well remember a waiter with a loaded tray on the Canadian performing an NFL wide receiver move to maintain his balance while holding a loaded tray while the train made an unexpected lurch. He was bent at the waist and kept his feet planted like a wide receiver, keeping his feet in bounds while catching a pass.
It took years of practice for a dining car waiter to gracefully walk through a train of swaying cars while carefully balancing a heavily ladened food tray destined for some private bedroom or drawing room. When asked how he did it, one waiter responded, “You simply learn how, that’s all. I can’t tell you how it’s done.”

Non-Amtrak, but my wife and I were on a tourist "Dinner Train" some years ago. The dinner train was catered by a local grocery store, and may not have had completely railroad savvy servers/kitchen help? The plates and glasses were all cafe style heavy permanent tableware. After the tables were all cleared, the train experienced a large lurch. A HUGE HUGE plate and mug crashing and breaking sound emanated from the single level diner kitchen area! The next sound was the loudest WAILING and softer crying you could imagine coming from the kitchen area. I felt sorry for them. :oops: I did try to look in the kitchen door when leaving the diner car but couldn't see details of the results. 👀

Amtrak should and could have real China on their LD routes. It would take a little bit of investment but I’ve been served food on real China and glass ware on trains in Switzerland and Germany.
A well-run hotel was the inspiration for the operation of many long-haul luxury trains in the extra-fare all-Pullman years. The people who rode those luxury trains were those who not only expected the best of everything but who could afford service in the same style they might have encountered at the Waldorf-Astoria or The Savoy in London. This is undoubtedly why the railroads had to have real China in their dining cars.

It should be pointed out that, back when food was served on real China in the dining cars, people dressed up when they went to the dining car to eat. (In Europe, people still dress formally when dining on a train.) In today’s world, many people wear jeans or other casual clothing when traveling and think nothing of doing so when eating in the dining car. In this informal atmosphere, why should anyone be concerned about Amtrak serving meals on informal plastic plates?

In today’s world, many people wear jeans or other casual clothing when traveling and think nothing of doing so when eating in the dining car. In this informal atmosphere, why should anyone be concerned about Amtrak serving meals on informal plastic plates?
Most restaurants that charge $45 for dinner don't serve the dinner on disposable plastic plates. I don't think it's the end of the world, and I've always appreciated Amtrak making the plastic plates look like "dining car" china - back in the day I couldn't even tell the difference when I went through my photos - I'd have to look at the location of the photo and say "oh that was the Zephyr so it must have been plastic."

It may just be me but I cringe when I think of the daily waste across the Amtrak system that must be created with all those disposable plates.

But I am the type who recycles anything than can be, including picking up random plastic bottles when I'm out and about and throwing them in a recycle bin, whether that's home or elsewhere.

When I go to a drive through, I specifically ask that I not be given a straw or plastic utensils if not needed.

It may just be me but I cringe when I think of the daily waste across the Amtrak system that must be created with all those disposable plates.

But I am the type who recycles anything than can be, including picking up random plastic bottles when I'm out and about and throwing them in a recycle bin, whether that's home or elsewhere.

When I go to a drive through, I specifically ask that I not be given a straw or plastic utensils if not needed.
Suffice it to say that the Amtrak waste is minuscule by an order of magnitude or two when compared to the general situation in the take out food business. This is really more of a societal problem, and Amtrak is just a small part of the current fashion. So we should probably shift back to discussing menus and food preparation and service quality instead of dwelling on this ad infinitum in this thread.

It took years of practice for a dining car waiter to gracefully walk through a train of swaying cars while carefully balancing a heavily ladened food tray destined for some private bedroom or drawing room. When asked how he did it, one waiter responded, “You simply learn how, that’s all. I can’t tell you how it’s done.”
And when there were 6 waiters and a steward working in a standard 48 seat diner, the “choreography” of watching them pass by each other, as well as some passengers passing through was amazing..😮

I think Corelle is very good. It is not 100% unbreakable, if it falls just right it can break, but it is really hard to do. Takes washing at high temp well, looks and feels good, and is not terribly expensive. My set is from one of those deals ages ago where a bank gave you something for opening a CD. Over the years they did change to using stone wear mugs, I still have the original corelle ones.

We bought a set of all-white Corelle 25 years ago and have used it daily since. Zero broken dishes and it still looks spectacular. Highly recommended.

We bought a set of all-white Corelle 25 years ago and have used it daily since. Zero broken dishes and it still looks spectacular. Highly recommended.
We started with a set of the white-with-blue-rings Corelle, and supplemented with a set of the all-white as more of the old stoneware dishes broke. (With 5 in the family, we couldn't go all Corelle at a meal until we purchased that second set.)

I've always appreciated Amtrak making the plastic plates look like "dining car" china - back in the day I couldn't even tell the difference when I went through my photos . . .
We also find the blue and white plastic Amtrak plates to be visually pleasing and don't mind eating from them.

If Amtrak would start using paper or styrofoam plates, we'd consider that to be tacky.

The real issue is to bring back traditional dining on all LD trains.

Last edited:
A well-run hotel was the inspiration for the operation of many long-haul luxury trains in the extra-fare all-Pullman years. The people who rode those luxury trains were those who not only expected the best of everything but who could afford service in the same style they might have encountered at the Waldorf-Astoria or The Savoy in London. This is undoubtedly why the railroads had to have real China in their dining cars.

It should be pointed out that, back when food was served on real China in the dining cars, people dressed up when they went to the dining car to eat. (In Europe, people still dress formally when dining on a train.) In today’s world, many people wear jeans or other casual clothing when traveling and think nothing of doing so when eating in the dining car. In this informal atmosphere, why should anyone be concerned about Amtrak serving meals on informal plastic plates?
The 3 course prix-fixe dinner at the Savoy Grill in London is 62 pounds Sterling, or about 80 US$. (a British pound is about US$1.30) Even then, they charge 8.50 pounds for sides. and a 25 pound supplement if you want Beef Wellington.)

Back here in the States, it's pretty easy to drop $80 to $100 per person at a mid-range "fine dining" restaurant. Forty five bucks for a full dinner in a captive audience situation isn't that bad.

It would still be difficult to spend $90 for two adults at Micky D's for one meal even these days.
OK. I ran the numbers. A typical meal at McDonald’s consisting of a Big Mac, Fries, a Chocolate Shake and an Apple Pie comes to $13.76 or $27.52 for two people. So you are correct. (A year or so ago, those meals were a lot less.)

We like to dine at a family-run Chinese Restaurant. For $26.54 including tip, we can get the Orange Chicken lunch special which includes Egg Drop Soup, Salad, Rice, 1 Cream Cheese Wonton & 1 Potsticker. The Orange Chicken portions are big enough for us to take home enough leftovers for at least another meal for the two of us.

The Amtrak traditional dining menu portions are generous enough to take home leftovers, too, if that was possible.

And when there were 6 waiters and a steward working in a standard 48 seat diner, the “choreography” of watching them pass by each other, as well as some passengers passing through was amazing..😮
I know back in the day they cooked more from scratch on board, so I understand more staff for the kitchen but I have no idea what 6 waiters were doing! That's 1 waiter for every 2 tables. 2 Waiters and a good Steward should easily be able to handle a diner.

What is a fully staffed Superliner Diner? 2 in the kitchen, 1 LSA, and 3 servers?

I know back in the day they cooked more from scratch on board, so I understand more staff for the kitchen but I have no idea what 6 waiters were doing! That's 1 waiter for every 2 tables. 2 Waiters and a good Steward should easily be able to handle a diner.

What is a fully staffed Superliner Diner? 2 in the kitchen, 1 LSA, and 3 servers?
Correct on the Superliner staffing... 3 servers for a very busy diner...otherwise 2 servers.

Back