Auto Train discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After days of "rest", both 53 and 52 resumed service yesterday... yet both are having issues.

#53 left nearly 30 minutes early (you'd expect this, since it's been waiting there for days), yet still ended up arriving nearly three hours late.

#52 left almost 4 hours late - and has since lost another 2 hours (still enroute)

For #52 they site "equipment issues" - is that the train itself, or are both just impacted (or compounded) by what I'd guess was a freight backup along the route.

Or, is this just Amtrak being Amtrak ???

After days of "rest", both 53 and 52 resumed service yesterday... yet both are having issues.

#53 left nearly 30 minutes early (you'd expect this, since it's been waiting there for days), yet still ended up arriving nearly three hours late.

#52 left almost 4 hours late - and has since lost another 2 hours (still enroute)

For #52 they site "equipment issues" - is that the train itself, or are both just impacted (or compounded) by what I'd guess was a freight backup along the route.

Or, is this just Amtrak being Amtrak ???
Most likely it’s freight traffic.

Pennyk’s source was correct - departure times have been changed from 5pm to 4pm for my May trips. I just got, my itinerary change emails and rebooked reservations. No mention of adjusted check in times though, which I thought was odd. Here is the content from the email:

We wanted to let you know that there has been a schedule change for your trip.

Your updated itinerary:

You're now scheduled to depart on train #0052, the Auto Train, from Sanford Auto Train on Monday, May 19th at 4:00pm and arrive in Lorton, Virginia on Tuesday, May 20th at 8:59am.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for being a valued Amtrak customer - we'll see you onboard.

I got a voicemail at 6:30am too that gave the same exact message as in the email. I guess they’re early risers… I’m not. 😅

But according to Amtrak’s website check in time has changed also.
—————————————————-

Check-In Times Changing Nov. 10​

Check-in will begin at 11:30 am. Standard and extended vehicles must be checked in by 2:30 pm and motorcycles by 2:00 pm.
—————————————————-

This is actually the more relevant time change for passengers on Auto Train. Too bad they didn’t include it on the email or phone call.

I got a voicemail at 6:30am too that gave the same exact message as in the email. I guess they’re early risers… I’m not. 😅

But according to Amtrak’s website check in time has changed also.
—————————————————-

Check-In Times Changing Nov. 10​

Check-in will begin at 11:30 am. Standard and extended vehicles must be checked in by 2:30 pm and motorcycles by 2:00 pm.
—————————————————-

This is actually the more relevant time change for passengers on Auto Train. Too bad they didn’t include it on the email or phone call.
No they did not mention the change in check in

Has anyone had to cancel a Southbound trip due to the Hurricanes wiping out their destinations?
If so, what were the ramifications?
We are concerned about the place where we spend February and fear we will have to go elsewhere, and it may not be Florida, so the AutoTrain won't work.
Thanks for any help.

Back