Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is going to be very important is the loading gauge of these trains. Is CA HSR go with Amtrak's MAX gauge or maybe wider and taller than present Superliners and new Western trains yet to be specified? It could be that the cars might have the exit vestibules are at present widths. Then the outside could be wider about 2 - 4 inches above the vestibule widths giving much wider inside allowing seat being wider? All this will depend on clearances on Caltrain, transit center in downtown San Fran, Sab Jose, and LAX Union Station which will be getting a rebuild shortly.
They most likely are going to use the Siemens Velaro Nova wide which is 3300mm wide. that would also mean 7 93ft cars vs 8 85ft cars
They've long ago decided trains will be ~50in floor height

Since this is the newest and most up to date thread on the subject, (I think anyways.... ) I'm going to post this here since manufacturers and rolling stock and interiors (iirc) were posted upthread.

Interior renderings of CA Bullet Train....

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/high-speed-rail-train-18615271.php
Here they are without the ridiculous malware-infested ads:
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...t-look-at-possible-high-speed-rail-interiors/

I have not experienced the Siemans cars in service now but those seats look as they wouldn't be any more comfortable. You hope Siemans and CHSRA will learn from that negative reaction and look to improve the comfort. But, I understand, they are simply concept images and the vendor has yet to be been chosen, so a long way to go.

You have to wonder if the same amount of money (probably less) had been invested in higher speed rail SFO - LAX - SAN on existing tracks including moving the LAX - SAN corridor away from the ocean, whether we would be better off. But that ship has sailed unfortunately.
It’s hard to look at a project like this - a pair of cities where true 350kph HSR makes absolutely perfect sense in every possible way - and have the foresight to know that higher speed rail would be the better option due to any number of factors contributing to ballooning costs.
From what I've garner, about half of the money has been spent on lawsuits dealing with opposition from acquiring land to construct the line, along with viaducts and relocations in order to grade separate and clear the ROW. There are some videos discussing the project.

its not just that. The fact that the project has taken so long due to lack of consistent funding (or withdrawal of current funding) and a constant fear of complete cancelation depending on the political landscape also contributes to ballooning costs.

If the project were 100% funded and 100% committed from the beginning, it’s possible it would have been done by now.

From what I've garner, about half of the money has been spent on lawsuits dealing with opposition from acquiring land to construct the line, along with viaducts and relocations in order to grade separate and clear the ROW.
That is what I have seen and heard as well, including the funding/rescinding issues mentioned by @Tlcooper44, and the delays/inflation resulting therefrom. There's also the matter of not having a robust HSR industry established at the regional, domestic, continental, or hemispheric level. If real HSR does take off in CA and/or NV future HSR projects might get a lot faster and cheaper if the industry and regulators can maintain momentum from one project to the next.

If they really wish to buy off the shelf then they will be the same height as the Avelia or the Velaro. If they wish to buy some other size then all bets are off on the alleged cost advantage of buying off the shelf.
I don't think there is a shelf to buy off. Siemens Velaro is by definition variable in terms of width and height.

Every one of the customers who has bought a Velaro so far has ordered something slightly different.

Thus Siemens likes to speak of the Velaro as a "platform" rather than as an out-of-the-box product.

That is what I have seen and heard as well, including the funding/rescinding issues mentioned by @Tlcooper44, and the delays/inflation resulting therefrom. There's also the matter of not having a robust HSR industry established at the regional, domestic, continental, or hemispheric level. If real HSR does take off in CA and/or NV future HSR projects might get a lot faster and cheaper if the industry and regulators can maintain momentum from one project to the next.
Wow, not really. Currently CHSRA has spent about $13B. Current Administrative costs, that include lawsuits are less than $500M. All lawsuits have been settled, most lost by the plaintiffs with the loser paying court costs.

Here is detailed specifications on the Palmdale to Burbank EIR. https://hsr.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Attachment-E-Exhibit-B-Findings-SOC_A11Y.pdf

https://caltrain-hsr.blogspot.com/2024/06/diridon-delusions.html
Clem from the renowned Caltrain-HSR Compatibility Blog made a new post, this one about Diridon Station alternatives being proposed. Some nice insight in how alternatives can be used to shape what might be a foregone conclusion by the planners (expensive viaduct to avoid an up-down escalator trip to platforms). Given Santa Clara's propensity to spend record highs on transit for fancy construction, I don't think it's a huge deal if they're willing to pay the cost.

I just wish the BART station was closer or had easier direct access to Diridon. If planners were serious about integrating (a la what MTC wayfinding project is trying to do), they would put some direct walkway connecting the two.

Back