California Zephyr First Time Rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm recently retired, 40 years Military, and will be taking my first Amtrak ride from Mt Pleasant, IA to Sacramento, CA end of October. I have a few questions before my trip. I have a Roomette for myself. Is there room for some of my luggage to be stowed with me, possibly top bunk? For luggage stored elsewhere, can I or should I put padlocks on stored luggage? Is ice available for my Yeti cup? Which side of the cars have the best views going west and east? Does the climate-controlled Roomette have adequate air flow or should I pack a mini fan? When not in my Roomette, is my room secured, (Lockable) while I'm gone to the Dining Car?

Any and all recommendations for a first-time Amtrak traveler would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. Larger pieces usually are stowed on the common rack downstairs. There is not a lot of space in the 6'x3' roomette.
2. Ice is available. Ask your car attendant for ice, there is no longer self serve ice.
3. The right side relative to the direction is generally is generally best on the westbound CZ, IMHO. It makes no difference, though. Which side a given roomette is on cannot be predicted in advance (except in the transdorm).
4. Airflow varies. A mini fan is not a bad idea.
5. Padlocks are not necessary. I've been putting unlocked luggage in the downstairs racks since Superliners started service in 1980. Rule of thumb: Nobody wants your dirty undies. However, do something to make your bag appear immediately distinctive. Many bags look alike and passengers have been known to grab the wrong one when detraining by accident.
6. Amtrak sleeping accommodations are not lockable from the outside. But do not worry about it, just put your laptop/whatever out of immediate sight and close the curtain and door when you leave for the diner or Sightseer Lounge. Again, I've traveled many tens of thousands of miles in Amtrak sleepers without any problems, often packing expensive cameras or electronics. Also, the attendant has a good idea of who belongs in the car and the dining car staff also quickly comes to recognize who is in the sleepers and usually intercepts anyone who isn't from getting past them in the diner.

Last edited:
On my long cross country trip a couple of years ago I found that I had plenty of room for myself, a standard carry-on and a duffle bag in a roomette -on the seat opposite mine or on the top bunk but seat opposite was my preference so I could leave the bottom as seats and get into the to the top bunk whenever I felt like it. I mostly sat up and napped, getting into the top for a lie down only a few hours each night. Two in a roomette plus luggage would be tight. But two in a bedroom plus luggage is no prob. Check Amtrak's site for their generous carry-on allowance.

Amtrak trains are pretty safe environments. There should be plenty of room for luggage on a roomette top bunk, just try not to bring the kitchen sink!
You could lock larger luggage to the racks downstairs, using a flexible cycle lock for example. In many thousands of Amtrak miles travelled, I have never heard of deliberate theft of unlocked luggage. I never worried about leaving items out of sight in the unlocked roomette, but always took "essentials" with me to the diner or viewing lounge. (Passport, wallet, phone, etc...) The sleeper section is just for sleeper passengers, so minimal passing footfall outside your room.
I mostly find that American air-con is already too cool for me, I usually need a hat for my bald head, rather than a fan, aboard Amtrak.
The viewing lounge has large windows both sides, so you can spend a bit of time there if your one sided roomette views are dull.
Relax and enjoy your trip!

Back