California Zephyr first time rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm recently retired, 40 years Military, and will be taking my first Amtrak ride from Mt Pleasant, IA to Sacramento, CA end of October. I have a few questions before my trip. I have a Roomette for myself. Is there room for some of my luggage to be stowed with me, possibly top bunk? For luggage stored elsewhere, can I or should I put padlocks on stored luggage? Is ice available for my Yeti cup? Which side of the cars have the best views going west and east? Does the climate-controlled Roomette have adequate air flow or should I pack a mini fan? When not in my Roomette, is my room secured, (Lockable) while I'm gone to the Dining Car?

Any and all recommendations for a first-time Amtrak traveler would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. Larger pieces usually are stowed on the common rack downstairs. There is not a lot of space in the 6'x3' roomette.
2. Ice is available. Ask your car attendant for ice, there is no longer self serve ice.
3. The right side relative to the direction is generally is generally best on the westbound CZ, IMHO. It makes no difference, though. Which side a given roomette is on cannot be predicted in advance (except in the transdorm).
4. Airflow varies. A mini fan is not a bad idea.
5. Padlocks are not necessary. I've been putting unlocked luggage in the downstairs racks since Superliners started service in 1980. Rule of thumb: Nobody wants your dirty undies. However, do something to make your bag appear immediately distinctive. Many bags look alike and passengers have been known to grab the wrong one when detraining by accident.
6. Amtrak sleeping accommodations are not lockable from the outside. But do not worry about it, just put your laptop/whatever out of immediate sight and close the curtain and door when you leave for the diner or Sightseer Lounge. Again, I've traveled many tens of thousands of miles in Amtrak sleepers without any problems, often packing expensive cameras or electronics. Also, the attendant has a good idea of who belongs in the car and the dining car staff also quickly comes to recognize who is in the sleepers and usually intercepts anyone who isn't from getting past them in the diner.

Last edited:
On my long cross country trip a couple of years ago I found that I had plenty of room for myself, a standard carry-on and a duffle bag in a roomette -on the seat opposite mine or on the top bunk but seat opposite was my preference so I could leave the bottom as seats and get into the to the top bunk whenever I felt like it. I mostly sat up and napped, getting into the top for a lie down only a few hours each night. Two in a roomette plus luggage would be tight. But two in a bedroom plus luggage is no prob. Check Amtrak's site for their generous carry-on allowance.

Amtrak trains are pretty safe environments. There should be plenty of room for luggage on a roomette top bunk, just try not to bring the kitchen sink!
You could lock larger luggage to the racks downstairs, using a flexible cycle lock for example. In many thousands of Amtrak miles travelled, I have never heard of deliberate theft of unlocked luggage. I never worried about leaving items out of sight in the unlocked roomette, but always took "essentials" with me to the diner or viewing lounge. (Passport, wallet, phone, etc...) The sleeper section is just for sleeper passengers, so minimal passing footfall outside your room.
I mostly find that American air-con is already too cool for me, I usually need a hat for my bald head, rather than a fan, aboard Amtrak.
The viewing lounge has large windows both sides, so you can spend a bit of time there if your one sided roomette views are dull.
Relax and enjoy your trip!

Which side of the cars have the best views going west and east?
Why not see for yourself by following along the route using the imagery available here: https://fragis.fra.dot.gov/GISFRASafety/

Once upon a time Amtrak used to provide Route Guides that contained info on the notable features along each route. Thankfully, they're still available here: https://juckins.net/amtrak_routes/amtrak_route_guides.php

One way to get views on both sides of the train is to find a seat in the Observation Car, as mentioned above, which has windows everyplace except the central part of the roof as seen here: Observation Car If all the seats are taken, another option is the central part of the lower level of your sleeper car with its glazed entry/exit doors.

Last edited:
You've received lots of good information and accurate answers here. I'd just like to emphasize that BY FAR your best choice is to be in the Observation car during the day. There you will have awesome views from both sides and good company. This is an especially useful approach for you since you are traveling at the end of October with very limited daylight. You will have plenty of time so spend in your roomette when it is dark outside.

Assuming that you're in an upstairs roomette, be forewarned that hauling carry-ons up those steep narrow stairs is a bit tough if you're in anything less than pretty good shape.
That was certainly the case for the hubby and me on the Texas Eagle earlier this month! It's kind of like slithering up (or down) a chute, even if your carryons are all backpacks or duffels with shoulder straps, as ours were. You won't be hauling luggage to get off & on the train at fresh air breaks, though. And you can get some exercise even without fresh air breaks, just walking through the train to the dining car or the Sightseer Lounge.

Assuming that you're in an upstairs roomette, be forewarned that hauling carry-ons up those steep narrow stairs is a bit tough if you're in anything less than pretty good shape.
This is how we judge that we're still able to go on long-distance train trips. We had no problems getting our carry-on items up the stairs last month so we're confidence we can do so again next year.

I generally find a way to accommodate my bags in my roomette. I'm the type of person who likes to travel light and not take more gear than is strictly necessary. Typically I travel with only one backpack or suitcase, or for exceptionally long and complicated trips maybe both. So far I've always been able to fit all of this into the roomette. I'm not really worried about stuff being stolen but prefer to have my stuff there in my roomette so I have it when i need it.

I always have a small shoulder bag to use on the train so that anything that is vaguely valuable or would just be annoying to lose (credit cards, phone, camera, lightweight laptop, medications, the book I'm currently reading) can go with me when I'm in the diner or sightseer lounge.

I've never had any problems of any sort with stuff going missing.

As others have said, sleeping car attendants keep a look out and furthermore ensure the passengers in their care are always well looked after. Occasionally checking by to see whether you need anything, or (if they have time) even engaging in a little railroad banter.

Last edited:
A big point is whether or not someone is travelling solo. Length and type of travel matter. I just did a trip that was only a few day trip, but had multiple "dress up" occasions so I had a suit, a sportcoat, and dress shoes in the mix. Luckily, I was able to check that bag, and put a bag of stuff I needed for the trip downstairs, and a valuables (laptop/camera/meds) bag in the room.

If you've read this before, skip ahead...

The CZ is scheduled to arrive in Denver at 7:56am. The night before, ask the attendant how early you can go to breakfast. Enjoy breakfast and watch as more cows than you've ever seen before pass by the train. When you are about 15 minutes from Denver, walk to the observation car (technically called the Sight Seer Lounge) and get a single seat on the right side of the train. Even if doubles are available, don't hog one because pairs of people will need it. The train will back into Denver and you should be on the side facing the station.

DO NOT get off the train to stretch your legs. Someone else will grab your seat. And no, you can't "save" it by placing a sweater on it. Someone will move it. You can run briefly to the bathroom if needed.

When the train boards (or even sooner) every seat will be taken and there will be people standing in the aisle behind you. As the train pulls out of Denver, you'll get about 30 minutes of pretty boring urban scenery. But then the train hits the Big 10 curve (google it) and the show starts. The CZ heads up the front range and goes through 28 tunnels in a row, often in 2 tunnels at once. On the right side of the train you will have an amazing view out over the prairie. After roughly 30 minutes, you'll head through some meadows and then enter the Moffat Tunnel. The doors between cars will be locked to prevent fumes from entering. After you pop out at Winter Park, you'll see the ski resort area, and finally you can walk around the train and perhaps return to your room.

For extra credit, return to the SSL before entering Glenwood canyon, but that's another story.

The dining car slots tend to be roughly 6 am to 8.30 am, 12 noon to 2pm and 5pm to 8.30-9pm. These times are approximate. Basically, a catering attendant will walk through the sleeper cars and ask you to choose a time slot from those available for dinner. Breakfast and lunch is in "first come, first seated" style. Folk who show up after all seats are taken are then called over the PA system in turn as seats become free.
The cafe car is normally open from around 6am to about 9pm, with a couple of closures for the attendant to have their rest breaks. They announce over the PA when they are about to close and when they are re-open again.

Officially the dining car meal services are:
Breakfast 6:30-9:00 am
Lunch 11:30 am-2:30 pm
Dinner 5:00 pm-9:00 pm

In practice, this can vary somewhat. Breakfasts they usually open on the dot at 6:30. They are usually pretty good about staying open until 9:00 but I have seem them stop seating around 8:30 occasionally. Lunch can vary a bit, with first calls between 11:00 and 12:00, and last seatings frequently at 1:30 or 2:00. I've seldom seen lunch seatings as late at 2:30. Dinners also vary, I've seen first calls as early as 4:30, about the latest first seating I recall seeing is 5:15. Last call depends somewhat on the train's load, I've sometimes seen last calls as early as around 8:00, fairly often at 8:30.

Lunch is usually by reservation and dinner always is. The diner LSA, or another OBS staffer they designate will come through the sleepers taking reservations. They announce this is happening before they begin. Mid-morning for lunch, mid-afternoon for dinner. You want to be in your room with the door and curtain open when they do, otherwise they'll skip the room. They take passengers in Sightseer Lounge last. They usually alternate the order they take reservations between aft to fore and fore to aft to give everyone an equal shot at preferred times over the trip. Your preferred time may be filled by the time they get to you. Breakfast is first come, first served.

Cafe hours are more variable. They open at 6:00 or 6:30. They'll close usually sometime between 10 and 11 pm. They'll close for 3 meal breaks, usually towards the end of meal service. Those breaks sometimes can be quite long, I've occasionally seen up to and over 2 hours. They'll usually announce when they go and return from meal breaks

Last edited:
If your train enters a new time zone during a meal, the dining car will close using the old time zone's schedule.
They usually announce what time zone a given meal is going to be served on when there might be a time zone change shortly before, during, or shortly after a meal service. The entire service stays on that time, as @Eric in East County points out.

However, it shouldn't be a problem on the Zephyr if it anywhere close to on time. The CT to MT change in western Nebraska should be at zero dark thirty, as is the MT to PT at the Utah/Nevada state line. So all your second day meals should be on Mountain, third day on Pacific.

BTW, your car attendant will almost certainly have a dinner reservation for you when you board at Mt. Pleasant.

Lunch is usually by reservation
Lunch was by reservation on the Texas Eagle earlier this month, too. (We could have had lunch about 1-1 1/2 hours before we got back to our local station, but were getting tired of the Flex Dining meals by then.) CZ riders, of course, choose meals from the Traditional Dining menu -- lucky you!

Lunch was by reservation on the Texas Eagle earlier this month, too. (We could have had lunch about 1-1 1/2 hours before we got back to our local station, but were getting tired of the Flex Dining meals by then.) CZ riders, of course, choose meals from the Traditional Dining menu -- lucky you!
It goes back and forth. I'd say generally about 70-80% of the time lunch is by reservation, that's any train with diner service. It depends on the individual crews, probably influenced by the load.

If you've read this before, skip ahead...

The CZ is scheduled to arrive in Denver at 7:56am. The night before, ask the attendant how early you can go to breakfast. Enjoy breakfast and watch as more cows than you've ever seen before pass by the train. When you are about 15 minutes from Denver, walk to the observation car (technically called the Sight Seer Lounge) and get a single seat on the right side of the train. Even if doubles are available, don't hog one because pairs of people will need it. The train will back into Denver and you should be on the side facing the station.

DO NOT get off the train to stretch your legs. Someone else will grab your seat. And no, you can't "save" it by placing a sweater on it. Someone will move it. You can run briefly to the bathroom if needed.

When the train boards (or even sooner) every seat will be taken and there will be people standing in the aisle behind you. As the train pulls out of Denver, you'll get about 30 minutes of pretty boring urban scenery. But then the train hits the Big 10 curve (google it) and the show starts. The CZ heads up the front range and goes through 28 tunnels in a row, often in 2 tunnels at once. On the right side of the train you will have an amazing view out over the prairie. After roughly 30 minutes, you'll head through some meadows and then enter the Moffat Tunnel. The doors between cars will be locked to prevent fumes from entering. After you pop out at Winter Park, you'll see the ski resort area, and finally you can walk around the train and perhaps return to your room.

For extra credit, return to the SSL before entering Glenwood canyon, but that's another story.
What's the SSL?

What's the SSL?
Although you have booked a roomette, you can also spend time in the sight seer lounge, also called the observation car. This car has large viewing windows, and seats orientated to see out comfortably. There are some tables with conventional seating also. You will find the cafe / snack bar on the lower level of this SSL.

Although you have booked a roomette, you can also spend time in the sight seer lounge, also called the observation car. This car has large viewing windows, and seats orientated to see out comfortably. There are some tables with conventional seating also. You will find the cafe / snack bar on the lower level of this SSL.
I enjoy going to the cafe car before last call for alcohol and checking out the scene in the un crowded lounge.

Back