Cardinal discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! I just got on the Cardinal in Indy. Yep, Viewliner 1 sleepers (I have that toilet right beside me). Quite the consist today with some gifts from Beech Grove. I think we are led by two P42s followed by four superliners (two are sleepers, one looks like a diner, and I can’t tell on the other) followed by another two P42s and then the Cardinal (with full baggage car). Quite a long train today.
When I got to Chicago, I saw that one of the two lead P42s was CT Rail in bright red livery. Appropriate color for the Cardinal. However, it was a LONG walk from the sleepers to the terminal!

Received a call from Amtrak that Indianapolis is closed today and proceed directly to platform. i assume the downstairs is open for Greyhound but no announcements of train arrival and such. i assume there is no other way to platform except through downstairs waiting area and either the elevator or stairs up to platform.

Received a call from Amtrak that Indianapolis is closed today and proceed directly to platform. i assume the downstairs is open for Greyhound but no announcements of train arrival and such. i assume there is no other way to platform except through downstairs waiting area and either the elevator or stairs up to platform.
My guess would be that means the Amtrak counter in Indy's pit is closed. There's no way up to the platform other than through the "station."

I'd hope the conductor would stick his head down and call the train if no staff at Indy.

I think the stairs would be the only option, too, since the platform elevator at Indy requires a staff member to operate it.

Here is the email. is it just me or is restroom access and station access saying two different contradictory things?
———
We wanted to let you know that the departure station will be closed for your trip on train number 50, from Indianapolis, Indiana on Sunday, June 30th .

Please head directly to the platform to board. There will be no access to the station, ticket office, checked baggage area, or restrooms. Please print your tickets ahead of time or have them on your mobile device. Otherwise, you'll need to show the conductor a valid photo ID and your reservation number. If you haven't paid for your reservation, you'll need to do it beforehand. Reservations paid for on the train may be charged at a higher rate than the fare quoted when you made the reservation.

The Indianapolis station will be closed today, June 29th. Passengers will have access to the platform, restrooms and waiting area.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for being a valued Amtrak customer - we'll see you onboard.

Here is the email. is it just me or is restroom access and station access saying two different contradictory things?
———
We wanted to let you know that the departure station will be closed for your trip on train number 50, from Indianapolis, Indiana on Sunday, June 30th .

Please head directly to the platform to board. There will be no access to the station, ticket office, checked baggage area, or restrooms. Please print your tickets ahead of time or have them on your mobile device. Otherwise, you'll need to show the conductor a valid photo ID and your reservation number. If you haven't paid for your reservation, you'll need to do it beforehand. Reservations paid for on the train may be charged at a higher rate than the fare quoted when you made the reservation.

The Indianapolis station will be closed today, June 29th. Passengers will have access to the platform, restrooms and waiting area.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for being a valued Amtrak customer - we'll see you onboard.
Typical Amtrak info where the Left Hand doesn't know what the Right is doing!🤪

My guess would be that means the Amtrak counter in Indy's pit is closed. There's no way up to the platform other than through the "station."

I'd hope the conductor would stick his head down and call the train if no staff at Indy.

I think the stairs would be the only option, too, since the platform elevator at Indy requires a staff member to operate it.
So are passengers who are unable to climb stairs just left behind?

So are passengers who are unable to climb stairs just left behind?
I think I pressed the buttons to go down. I know the station agent came down right after us with some luggage and maybe one other person was on the elevator but I don't remember it needing an Amtrak agent to operate. Maybe it did and I missed it. I assume the conductor will know if someone is in a wheelchair or needs assistance and take care of this.

When we alighted at Cincinnati a few days ago there was no agent on duty and we went to the back of the train to grab luggage the conductor handed to us AND the elevator at CUS is broken so it was a step ramp that I am not sure would qualify as wheelchair safe given the gradient of the ramp. We have enough luggage I can do the steps but would prefer the elevator. One piece is heavy.

Usually, with wheelchairs, there's that lift/elevator-type device that you see at other stations (pictured below). Is there not one of these at Cincinnati? I know I've seen them on the platforms at CUS.
1719709512574.png
Or, are you actually talking about inside the building and not on the platforms? When I was on the Cardinal, I'm pretty sure Indianapolis had one of these as well.

Or, are you actually talking about inside the building and not on the platforms? When I was on the Cardinal, I'm pretty sure Indianapolis had one of these as well.
Indy's station is directly underneath the tracks and platform. The platform is only accessible by stairs, more than a standard single story flight, or the elevator. The issue at Indy would be getting up to the platform, not getting on the train. There are such mechanisms to board at Indy once up at trackside.

Last time I boarded at Indy, access to the elevator was strictly controlled by Amtrak agents and it was operated by Amtrak personnel. Given how it was handled, I guess I assumed it was key operated but now realize I don't actually recall the mechanism. In any case, when I was there, no one was allowed to access the elevator without being accompanied by Amtrak personnel and Amtrak personnel operated it.

Last edited:
Usually, with wheelchairs, there's that lift/elevator-type device that you see at other stations (pictured below). Is there not one of these at Cincinnati? I know I've seen them on the platforms at CUS.
View attachment 37052
I think the platform is on an elevated structure, so the issue is getting between the street level and the platform.

I would think that, if passengers with mobility issues were arriving or departing at Indy on a day when the only access between platform and station was via stairs, it would be on Amtrak to find a way to get those particular passengers from point A to point B. If a mobility-impaired passenger were boarding at Indy and had no elevator access on that day, a refund or reschedule for the next train on a day when the elevator was available would be an option. For a mobility-impaired passenger disembarking at Indy on a day without elevator access, however, it would be prudent to have one's mobile phone ready to call both Amtrak to complain, and 911 to get local Indy emergency personnel to the station to help the passenger & baggage get down to street level, should Amtrak not have its own backup plan in place for getting mobility-impaired passengers down into the station.
(My husband and I can still manage stairs ourselves, but between age-related decreased stamina and arthritic knees, we would certainly prefer to take an elevator, particularly going up.)

On the Cardinal and both sleepers are VLII type. Nice warm shower and just passed the "Bridge."

We arrived at Indianapolis around 10:45 as the train was going to be in the station early based on transitdocs. We walk in the station and the elevator is off but the steps are there and the door to the platform is open. We do as the Amtrak email stated and proceed to the platform. The temp and humidity in the waiting area was fine but one could feel the change walking up the steps and the humidity kicked up a lot. We stayed on the platform and watched a freight come by. Sweating a lot. I walked the full length of the platform and made a video. Another family came up 11:15 or so and a family member was getting off the train, I think OBS employee and they wanted to great her. Sounds reasonable.

The security guard comes up and demands we go back down to the waiting area. I explained the email and he was like "the platform is downstairs." The train was only 4-5 minutes away and I wanted a video of it arriving so I argue a bit to stall as does the other family. The train arrives and he gives up. He was arguing for our safety as there are no cameras at the tracks and homeless and wolves (I assume he meant gang members). He said he did not want us to get hurt and he lose his job. I get that but the platform is the platform. Had the door been locked we would have stayed downstairs in the waiting area. And with three pieces of luggage, one near 50 lbs, I was not wanting to leave then on the platform nor haul them back down the stairs. The other family mentioned if there were homeless on the platform then the guard should run them off, and he stated it was not his job. I felt bad making his, likely underpaid, low benefit job harder, but I wanted to be on the platform and Amtrak told me to be on the platform. Anyway, we get on the train, the conductors did not mind us being on the platform and the SCA was a bit confused of the pushback from the guard. Then the train went from arriving 21 minutes early to departing 5 or 6 minutes late. The train was at the station for about an hour but we got on the train and got the room set up before we left the station. I was expecting the beds to be made since we were boarding around midnight but we were greated with chairs. Not a big deal I lowered the top bunk and let the SCA take over while we sat in the cafe.

I have generally defended flex meals but the pancakes I was given was hard like a stale cookie. I could snap it in half. Maybe a silver dollar size in the middle was of the texture and softness one expects with a pancack. Also they were out of unsweet tea. I assume breakfast is the first meal on the train so that's not good.

As a fourth generation Hoosier and Indianapolis native, the present situation is enough to make me cry. Ok, so I'm 74, but I remember trips where the red cap took the luggage at the main entrance to the beautiful "head house" and, if you were in Pullman, took you up in the freight elevator to board first once the train arrived. Not glamorous but worked well. The "James Whitcomb Riley" to Chicago took 3:30. How far we have fallen.

Was going to add this and lost internet and then took a nap and woke back up to no internet

As mentioned we took the stairs to the platform. The elevator was off, and I am sure for security at both the bottom level and on the top floor at the platform. I tried to call the elevator on both locations just to see if it worked there and the elevator was off there so it must need a key to turn on. I assume it would have worked had he stayed around the waiting area to be called up as it worked a few days earlier. I assume the agents have a key to operate the elevator as do the on board staff in case the train arrives as it did last night with no station agent.

As a fourth generation Hoosier and Indianapolis native, the present situation is enough to make me cry. Ok, so I'm 74, but I remember trips where the red cap took the luggage at the main entrance to the beautiful "head house" and, if you were in Pullman, took you up in the freight elevator to board first once the train arrived. Not glamorous but worked well. The "James Whitcomb Riley" to Chicago took 3:30. How far we have fallen.
I took some video of the cemented over stairs that went to some part of the station. They left the railing and handrails up just filled in the hole were the steps are. The platform is track 9 and 10 so I assume at one time there was track 1 through 8 as well. There was room for two more tracks with a island platform in-between what would have been tracks 11 and 12 then one or two freight tracks that say usage while we were on the platform.

My parents being from Indy and with relatives still there, I've been in Indy's pit of a station many times. It is a leading contender for "Amtrak's Worst Staffed Station".

The truly sad thing is it wouldn't be completely impossible to use Union Station on the other side of Illinois St on the other side of the track/platform viaduct again. The concourse tunnel still exists. The remaining in-service platform at Indy is one of Union Station's, just accessed now from the current pit that is in part of Union Station's former Railway Express Agency space. My grandfather was the REA manager there and my mother also worked there. I was in those REA offices once as a small child when my mother returned to visit co-workers.

But to use it, they'd have to negotiate with Crowne Plaza, which owns the headhouse and uses it for banquet functions. I think the City owns the concourse, it was part of the Union Station shopping complex development (which imploded upon the opening of Circle City Mall, which is now itself imploding).

It is a dream that won't happen, especially in light of [sarcasm] Indiana's fierce commitment to passenger rail [/sarcasm]. But it isn't impossible.

I took some video of the cemented over stairs that went to some part of the station. They left the railing and handrails up just filled in the hole were the steps are. The platform is track 9 and 10 so I assume at one time there was track 1 through 8 as well. There was room for two more tracks with a island platform in-between what would have been tracks 11 and 12 then one or two freight tracks that say usage while we were on the platform.
That was the access to the real station, whose headhouse and passenger facilities was on the other (north) side of the track/platform viaduct. That station is now part of the Crowne Plaza hotel, with the boarding concourse under the tracks part of a failed shopping mall. There were tracks 1-8, numbered from the station headhouse on the north side.

Sounds like a lot of other large midwest city stations, that surely have seen better days, when they were active and busy hubs…😕

The Crowne Plaza has old Pullman cars as rooms on tracks 1 & 2, I think. There may have been as many as twelve tracks at one time. I remember departing on the "South Wind" always from track 8.

From the recent discussion of Cincinnati and Indianapolis, it sounds like we have declined to third-world railroading at its best. Given the size of those communities, it is rather shocking.

Perhaps Scouts could be enlisted to assist passengers with mobility issues to and from the platform.
At Cincinnati the platform is in such bad shape someone tripped over the loose yellow brick that is one brick wide to mark the safe zone on the platform. I pushed the brick back in place the best I could but seriously thought about grabbing the brick as a public service and if it served as a memento then so be it. The backside is in such horrible shape to be such a beautiful station from the front.

With Indianapolis you know what to expect on the platform as soon as you arrive in the waiting room.

From the recent discussion of Cincinnati and Indianapolis, it sounds like we have declined to third-world railroading at its best. Given the size of those communities, it is rather shocking.

Perhaps Scouts could be enlisted to assist passengers with mobility issues to and from the platform.
Considering the train times in both cities, I doubt if that is a reasonable alternative.

I was never a scout so I don't know tons about the badges. But I suggest the scouts start a "late night hustle badge" and the scouts could earn a badge AND tip money. They can help those in need up and down the steps at Indianapolis and they can carry a can of the foam used in international association football fixtures to mark free kick defense lines and use the foam to mark dangerous spots on the Cincinnati platform.

Sounds like win-win-win to me.

Back