Cardinal discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking Indianapolis needs to rent out the terminal for some post-apocalyptic zombie movie. They could promote it as a cheap location not really needing any work to make it look good for that post-apocalyptic feel.
Great idea. Next trip I’ll forget the usual sights and focus on the un attractive scenes using my iPhone.

In 2015 I was in Indianapolis on a trip from Denver to Chattanooga and return. I'd already heard about it (the last time I used it before was in 1969), so I was ready to deal with it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have experience riding Greyhound.

By Murphy's law, Train 6 was on time at Galesburg, and I caught an earlier Thruway trip on Burlington Trailways to Indianapolis than I had planned. So, I walked through the underpass and found a hamburger place for an excuse to not wait in the station.

View attachment 37067

Then I came back for the Greyhound part of the trip. On my return I had a shorter wait for the Galesburg connection.

View attachment 37068

Nashville Greyhound station at breakfast time.
View attachment 37069

Attractive new Greyhound station in Chattanooga has since been abandoned.
View attachment 37070
That first image reminds me just a bit of the scene from the viaduct tunnel where Dudley Dursley is attacked by dementors, at the beginning of the 3rd or 4th Harry Potter movie, I think. The viaduct was a more confined space, however, which would have made being approached by strangers (of any kind) even creepier.

Only 6 trains a week go thru the IND station. Maybe we need to suspect that nothing will be done until / if the Cardinal becomes daily?? Another daily RT might seal the deal for station improvements? "IF" Cardinal becomes daily opening the station at 2300h and staying until 51 arrives whenever will become expensive for station personnel that have to get overtime?

Back