Cardinal discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking Indianapolis needs to rent out the terminal for some post-apocalyptic zombie movie. They could promote it as a cheap location not really needing any work to make it look good for that post-apocalyptic feel.
Great idea. Next trip I’ll forget the usual sights and focus on the un attractive scenes using my iPhone.

In 2015 I was in Indianapolis on a trip from Denver to Chattanooga and return. I'd already heard about it (the last time I used it before was in 1969), so I was ready to deal with it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have experience riding Greyhound.

By Murphy's law, Train 6 was on time at Galesburg, and I caught an earlier Thruway trip on Burlington Trailways to Indianapolis than I had planned. So, I walked through the underpass and found a hamburger place for an excuse to not wait in the station.

View attachment 37067

Then I came back for the Greyhound part of the trip. On my return I had a shorter wait for the Galesburg connection.

View attachment 37068

Nashville Greyhound station at breakfast time.
View attachment 37069

Attractive new Greyhound station in Chattanooga has since been abandoned.
View attachment 37070
That first image reminds me just a bit of the scene from the viaduct tunnel where Dudley Dursley is attacked by dementors, at the beginning of the 3rd or 4th Harry Potter movie, I think. The viaduct was a more confined space, however, which would have made being approached by strangers (of any kind) even creepier.

Only 6 trains a week go thru the IND station. Maybe we need to suspect that nothing will be done until / if the Cardinal becomes daily?? Another daily RT might seal the deal for station improvements? "IF" Cardinal becomes daily opening the station at 2300h and staying until 51 arrives whenever will become expensive for station personnel that have to get overtime?

Only 6 trains a week go thru the IND station. Maybe we need to suspect that nothing will be done until / if the Cardinal becomes daily?? Another daily RT might seal the deal for station improvements? "IF" Cardinal becomes daily opening the station at 2300h and staying until 51 arrives whenever will become expensive for station personnel that have to get overtime?
Hey, I have an idea to have more trains serving Indianapolis. In addition to a daily Cardinal, how about having a seperate Corridor train to/from Chicago, just like the Borealis and Empire Builder? We could call it the "Hoosier State!" Why didn't anybody ever think of that before? 🙂

Hey, I have an idea to have more trains serving Indianapolis. In addition to a daily Cardinal, how about having a seperate Corridor train to/from Chicago, just like the Borealis and Empire Builder? We could call it the "Hoosier State!" Why didn't anybody ever think of that before? 🙂
There are already Corridor trains/combinations of Midwest Corridor trains which can take passengers to Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin, and (soon) Minnesota, so why not Indiana as well? I like that idea!

There are already Corridor trains/combinations of Midwest Corridor trains which can take passengers to Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin, and (soon) Minnesota, so why not Indiana as well? I like that idea!
Simple answer: Those states pay for those services. Indiana is not willing to.

It would have been there already had the State of Indiana not withdrawn all funding for it. It ain't coming back until Indiana steps upto the plate.

Hey, I have an idea to have more trains serving Indianapolis. In addition to a daily Cardinal, how about having a separate Corridor train to/from Chicago, just like the Borealis and Empire Builder? We could call it the "Hoosier State!" Why didn't anybody ever think of that before? 🙂
Yes, all kinds of possibilities that would simply use part of a LD route. They should be fairly easy and economical, but look how long it took the Borealis to launch.

Perhaps IN thinks they will not get an acceptable return for the investment, which is almost certain.
There is no "return on investment" per se to any state supporting rail service. Michigan, California, Washington, Virginia, New York, etc, etc are not expecting to get their money back or turn a profit. They are supporting Corridor services as a public service.

I doubt Indiana is making a buck on the South Shore, either.

Perhaps IN thinks they will not get an acceptable return for the investment, which is almost certain.
I disagree. Their share was a grand total of $3 million. And plenty of people rode the train, even though it had a lousy schedule.

And for their 3 million savings, they paved about half a mile of freeway… which already needs repaving.

It's a shame to read this about IND station. The Cardinal is likely to go daily, but I suppose on the same schedule. The 3C+D at least has local support, in northeast Ohio. As the big city, with contrasting politics to the state, maybe there is significant local support. Or, as the big city, maybe it's seen as wasteful by the rest of the state, a pretty common thing. It is the state capital though.

The Indiana Passenger Rail Alliance, updated in 2022, has three action items:
  • Requesting funding in the form of federal grants to develop future passenger rail concepts
  • Demanding Improvements to Indianapolis Union Station
  • Establishing the Hard Tech Corridor to connect Purdue University's campuses
Purdue is on the Cardinal, West Lafayette, but also the Indianapolis and Hammond campuses.

On a map you can see the IND station is between high-end downtown hotels and the convention center next to the indoor NFL stadium. I had a memorable few days there with 30,000 firefighters at a convention. The big equipment was parked in the stadium. My partner and I convened the evening before, at a Starbucks on the circle at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, in the hotel zone, but the monument itself was perhaps not considered ultra safe at night. We struck up a conversation with a family with a singer at the opera next door. Later we went to a canal walk and other places in rolling suburbs (every driveway with a basketball hoop), places that used to be towns. Hurricane Katrina had sent Louisiana chefs far and wide, including a po-boy counter out there. Also went to soul food place east of downtown.

It's not a top ten convention center in size, but it's plenty big. USA Today: "Although Indiana Convention Center isn't near as many attractions or entertainment options as other cities can boast, it gets top marks for being near hotels and restaurants. And if you're a football fan, it's pretty thrilling to be across the street from Andrew Luck and the Colts come fall."

Indiana is extremely generous with NICTD, but will not spend a penny for an Amtrak service.
Well, the South Shore is a real commuter line that carries a lot of people and probably takes a lot of cars off the highway and provides access to Chicago for all the people in Northern Indiana. A once-a-day Amtrak corridor train with a schedule that may not be convenient to all running on tracks owned by freight railroads that are barely cooperative doesn't exactly provide a service that a lot of people would want to use. To have a proper Indianapolis-Chicago corridor service would probably require all sorts of track improvements and a multiple trip schedule that would cost billions.

There's also the issue that support of the South Shore has a lot of political support from the local areas along the route and the elected politicians who represent those areas. People along the Indianapolis-Chicago corridor may have other priorities.

Well, the South Shore is a real commuter line that carries a lot of people and probably takes a lot of cars off the highway and provides access to Chicago for all the people in Northern Indiana. A once-a-day Amtrak corridor train with a schedule that may not be convenient to all running on tracks owned by freight railroads that are barely cooperative doesn't exactly provide a service that a lot of people would want to use. To have a proper Indianapolis-Chicago corridor service would probably require all sorts of track improvements and a multiple trip schedule that would cost billions.

There's also the issue that support of the South Shore has a lot of political support from the local areas along the route and the elected politicians who represent those areas. People along the Indianapolis-Chicago corridor may have other priorities.
The cities of Indianapolis and Lafayette supported the Hoosier State to the extent they kicked in their own municipal funds as part of the subsidy. They also lobbied hard against it being defunded on the state level.

A revived Hoosier State should run on a different and more convienent schedule than just taking the Card's slot four days a week, which has terrible times at Indy. The call times at Indy were a big part of the problem with it. Note I am not talking about speeding it up, just not leaving Indy at the crack of dawn and arriving at midnight.

Last edited:
There is no "return on investment" per se to any state supporting rail service. Michigan, California, Washington, Virginia, New York, etc, etc are not expecting to get their money back or turn a profit. They are supporting Corridor services as a public service.

I doubt Indiana is making a buck on the South Shore, either.
You appear to be deliberately misunderstanding. The return would be in the form of acceptable train service that the Indiana public will use. If the private outfit couldn't do it it's a certainty Amtrak cannot.

Back