Checking baggage after boarding?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be boarding at a station that does not check baggage, but I am wondering if we are able to check at the next station that does offer this. We get on in St. Cloud, MN, and it looks like the next station that checks (that I will be awake for) is Fargo. Can I bring a couple bags into the station and check them at that time?

I dont think so. You wont have enough time I imagine, since Fargo isnt a smoke stop. And even if it was they wouldnt let you do it.

No, because you have to check baggage at least 30 prior to the train's ARRIVAL. There is storage space in the luggage rack on the lower level.

What you can do (assuming you're traveling that far) is to carry them on at your origination station, and then (If there's enough time) check them in like Portland or Chicago!

Is this something that his car attendant can do?

I would thinking that the attendant could simply walk them down to the baggage car, at a stop where it is open and being loaded.

No, because you have to check baggage at least 30 prior to the train's ARRIVAL. There is storage space in the luggage rack on the lower level.

What you can do (assuming you're traveling that far) is to carry them on at your origination station, and then (If there's enough time) check them in like Portland or Chicago!

We are boarding in St. Cloud with destination of Portland. We are traveling with two kids, lots-o-luggage, car seats, etc. Trying to free up as much room as possible. We are in a family sleeper, so it's not THAT big of a deal....just planning head. Thank you for that tidbit of info, though, regarding checked baggage timeframe. That answers that.

Is this something that his car attendant can do?

I would thinking that the attendant could simply walk them down to the baggage car, at a stop where it is open and being loaded.
This would be far too useful and practical a service for a Amtrak to offer.

In fact, on the PDX section of the EB, the attendant wouldn't even need to wait until a station stop, since the PDX baggage car is simply

half of a lower-level coach. Surely it would be easy to stash a bunch of "PDX" baggage tags on board. Not rocket science, really. But no,

Amtrak insists that you can only check a bag at a relative handful of major stations.

To the OP: As long as you meet Amtrak's carry-on baggage policy (and your kids, assuming they are older than 2...i.e. have their own ticket...

get their own allotment, even if they can't actually carry the bags themselves) you'll be fine. There's a luggage rack conveniently located

near the family bedroom on the lower level of the sleeping car.

While I've only seen this ONE time. An SCA did offer to store a passenger's extra bags in the baggage car for them. He warned that they would not have access to it the rest of the trip. I watched him grab the bags and head off with them. No bag check in sight.

I wouldn't count on it but a heads up, client friendly SCA may do it if you ask and tip nicely.

While I've only seen this ONE time. An SCA did offer to store a passenger's extra bags in the baggage car for them. He warned that they would not have access to it the rest of the trip. I watched him grab the bags and head off with them. No bag check in sight.

I wouldn't count on it but a heads up, client friendly SCA may do it if you ask and tip nicely.
This does happen sometimes. I've had an attendant do this for me on 448 (two or three times maybe), and on the Cardinal (once).

It used to be a bit more common, with some SCAs storing bags in vestibules and empty rooms and whatnot. Now that the baggage car provides the only space in most situations, fewer attendants offer to take bags.

This does happen sometimes. I've had an attendant do this for me on 448 (two or three times maybe), and on the Cardinal (once).

It used to be a bit more common, with some SCAs storing bags in vestibules and empty rooms and whatnot. Now that the baggage car provides the only space in most situations, fewer attendants offer to take bags.
I was on #49 when this was done. I think it was due to a few passengers complaining about luggage being stored in the shower and not being able to use it.

I have been on trains where the SCA offered to store the baggage car, when it was next to the sleeper. However, once Amtrak started carrying firearms as checked baggage, this practice was stopped. (This would also include the PDX baggage storage area and other such coach/baggage cars.)

Now the only crew member allowed in the baggage car is the Conductor.

Last edited by a moderator:
On 448, the attendant put my dad's large bag in the baggage car but apparently not in the baggage section (IDK, that's just what I was told) and retrieved it for us about 10 minutes before Back Bay so that we didn't have to wait in line for it to be offloaded on the platform.

I have been on trains where the SCA offered to store the baggage car, when it was next to the sleeper. However, once Amtrak started carrying firearms as checked baggage, this practice was stopped. (This would also include the PDX baggage storage area and other such coach/baggage cars.)

Last Thursday, I was in the 448 sleeper and saw our SCA go into the adjacent baggage car several times. About 30 minutes after leaving Chicago, either he and/or the conductor were smoking in there as well, so I don't think there's an emphasis on playing by the "rules" in many cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
On 448, the attendant put my dad's large bag in the baggage car but apparently not in the baggage section (IDK, that's just what I was told) and retrieved it for us about 10 minutes before Back Bay so that we didn't have to wait in line for it to be offloaded on the platform.
There is no checked baggage service available at BBY! Thus, it would not have been offloaded in the platform.

Last Thursday, I was in the 448 sleeper and saw our SCA go into the adjacent baggage car several times. About 30 minutes after leaving Chicago, either he and/or the conductor were smoking in there as well, so I don't think there's an emphasis on playing by the "rules" in many cases.
Smoking certainly is not allowed on board by any crew member or passenger! That Conductor could get into a lot of trouble if it is reported!
excl.gif
(And I hope you do or did.)

How many times have you heard about the stain stopping at a grade crossing to hand over a smoker to law enforcement by the Conductor?
huh.gif
So why are they different?
huh.gif
huh.gif
huh.gif

Smoking certainly is not allowed on board by any crew member or passenger! That Conductor could get into a lot of trouble if it is reported!
excl.gif
(And I hope you do or did.)

How many times have you heard about the stain stopping at a grade crossing to hand over a smoker to law enforcement by the Conductor?
huh.gif
So why are they different?
huh.gif
huh.gif
huh.gif
Therein lies the outrage since a crew member smoking on a train is the ultimate manifestation of onboard hypocrisy. We're all threatened over the PA of being tossed off the train for smoking, and then a crew member turns around and lights up. My room was very close to the baggage car and the smoke became strong enough in my room that my nose was tingling. More surprising is that it really wasn't long after we left CUS, so I was like, "Really? You're lighting up 30 - 40 minutes into our 22 hour ride to Boston???" I'll be in Chicago next week and will discuss it in person with management there. Why someone would jeopardize their career over a miserable cigarette may be the biggest mystery of the incident.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back