Chicago Union Station discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicago attendants have given me a hard time about my status when entering that Lounge. I've had to repeatedly remind them that Amtrack status also grants access. I typically point to their own placard in the Louge entrance that says this, which is just feet away from their desk. Multiple attendants demand a business class ticket and reject anyone else. So plan on needing to explain their own rules to them.

I also recommend the upstairs of Chicago's lounge. There's a streetlevel window where you can sit and watch "the world go by".
I've shown my Select Plus at Chicago and have never had a problem.

I understand that the lounge pass purchase options exclude coach passengers, I was just wondering if that had changed over the years?

Having read the Rules and Regs in the link above, I see I would in any case be unwelcome in the lounges:

"Attire and conduct of lounge customers and their guests must be in keeping with good taste and a dignified atmosphere." :D :D
I don't know. They let ME in!

I took a two night trip Houston to Utica, I was happy to take a shower with a 7 hour layover. The woman at the door was pretty gruff, especially to someone who never rode trains before.
I travel through CHI regularly. I am sure I know the lady your are speaking of here. I have watched her act for years.
I have been the recipient of some of her gruffness a few times too.
I think she does a great job and makes the line move faster by her actions.
I also think she is funny.
I have also seen her show grace and kindness when it is needed.
I wish I could hire her to handle crowd control at my place.

I travel through CHI regularly. I am sure I know the lady your are speaking of here. I have watched her act for years.
I have been the recipient of some of her gruffness a few times too.
I think she does a great job and makes the line move faster by her actions.
I also think she is funny.
I have also seen her show grace and kindness when it is needed.
I wish I could hire her to handle crowd control at my place.
I think I've encountered the same lady there, too. She keeps things moving, especially when the LSL and Cap come in and disgorge a lot of people connecting to the western trains. Yes, can be gruff, especially with anyone delaying lounge check in, but I've found her quite nice and personable when isn't busy checking in a train load of sleeper passengers.

Hi Folks, I am looking for advice as to the current best place to try to meet up with another AU member at Chicago Union Station on my trip in early September?
I would assume the "great hall", but I am unsure about the station infrastructure alterations, is that place still open, with seating?
Any other easy to locate suggestions for tired coach seat travellers? ;)

Hi Folks, I am looking for advice as to the current best place to try to meet up with another AU member at Chicago Union Station on my trip in early September?
I would assume the "great hall", but I am unsure about the station infrastructure alterations, is that place still open, with seating?

Don't do it!!!! Other AU members will warn you about meeting me in person when visiting Chicago. I'm likely to lead you on one of Tim's Tours. You've met me once before, at a Gathering. Think twice about making that mistake again. :p

But, if you must: meet someone else.

From personal experience, I did get together for about an hour with an online friend passing through town in the Great Hall about three months ago. We had a very nice and comfortable chat sitting on one of the classic benches which are in the main portion of the hall. I might shy away from sitting in the newer airport style seating near the Clinton street entrance and to the right as you enter the hall from the track concourse. I find it to be sometimes populated by homeless persons trying to sleep.

I've also met up with AU friends in the food court and at sandwich and pizza shops across the street from the station. I think you'd be just fine with any of these areas on a stopover.

The middle of the Great Hall is probably best. It is open, and actually not that huge, so it would be easy to see each other. It about avoids the somewhat maze-like and enclosed concourse area. The concourse is also the area where most of the construction is happening.

Another possibility is The Junction bar on the mezzanine/food court level. After a couple days in coach, a drink might be welcome, too.

Great Hall should be open. An easy place would probably be directly in front of the Metropolitan lounge since it's pretty specific and not as big as the great hall. Meet there then grab a seat together.

Don't do it!!!! Other AU members will warn you about meeting me in person when visiting Chicago. I'm likely to lead you on one of Tim's Tours. You've met me once before, at a Gathering. Think twice about making that mistake again. :p

But, if you must: meet someone else.

From personal experience, I did get together for about an hour with an online friend passing through town in the Great Hall about three months ago. We had a very nice and comfortable chat sitting on one of the classic benches which are in the main portion of the hall. I might shy away from sitting in the newer airport style seating near the Clinton street entrance and to the right as you enter the hall from the track concourse. I find it to be sometimes populated by homeless persons trying to sleep.

I've also met up with AU friends in the food court and at sandwich and pizza shops across the street from the station. I think you'd be just fine with any of these areas on a stopover.
Tim's tours eh? Sounds interesting... I do like architecture, but at my age I am a bit too old for tours of speakeasy's and strip joints! ;)

I had a mini stroke earlier this year, and my memory is not functioning as well as it should, which gathering was it that we met at, St Louis or the San Francisco one?

Tim's tours eh? Sounds interesting... I do like architecture, but at my age I am a bit too old for tours of speakeasy's and strip joints! ;)

I had a mini stroke earlier this year, and my memory is not functioning as well as it should, which gathering was it that we met at, St Louis or the San Francisco one?

San Francisco/Bay Area

Back