Coast Starlight killed a man

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i was on the coast starlight which left seattle on friday 31st oct. woke up at bout 4.30am saturday because i felt the emergency brakes slam into gear and when we finally stopped there was a level crossing out of my window. went back to sleep and woke up at 7.30 am. same level crossing was still out my window and i found out that a man had been drunk and passed out on the tracks and we ran over him just after chico? ( i think) has anyone heard about this event? im trying to find out more information for it

Why would we have heard of it? Dozens of people are dumb enough to occupy the same space as a speeding train and die from it every day.

Yes it does happen a lot, but it does shake you up when you are on the train when it happens. I was on the Cascades when a bicyclist rode in front of it and got killed, right in my own town. I felt really sorry for the train crew who had to deal with the event on the ground, and deal with the police. Especially felt sorry for the engineer.

The local newspaper for the area you were travelling through will probably have something about it, but maybe not much. I don't blame you for being curious and wanting to know more about the person and circumstances. It's pretty grim isn't it.

And yes it happens a lot, but we don't have to be totally jaded and cynical just because accidents happen. It's still awful for the people involved, even if it's a common, everyday occurance.

Green Maned Lion said: "Dozens of people are dumb enough to occupy the same space as a speeding train and die from it every day."

It does not happen every day.

And, I have told you Five-Billion times, don't exaggerate!

Last edited:
yeh im sure it happens all the time, i was just curious to try and find out a bit more about it. no one really seemed to wanna let us know what happened and just thought maybe you guys would know where to go to find out bout it. im from melbourne, australia and im travelling round the states and it happens alot at home, mainly suicides though and it always makes front page news

Actually,

it is quite possible that somebody on here would know more about it. A local railfan, or a person who is more skilled than the original poster at internet searches could provide a link to a news story. Or just provide more information. I think it is important to think for a moment before hitting submit on a potential post. I know that I have caught myself a few times from putting something on the internet that I would have later regretted saying by thinking for a moment before submitting.

We might be a little more desensitized to somebody being killed by a train because we have seen more stories about it, and have had more animated discussions about the stupidity of people driving around gates or walking on tracks when they had no business being there. I know that my lack of concern about somebody who had driven around the gates and in front of a train that I was traveling on was shocking to a coworker. The OP has only posted a few times, so they might not be as desensitized or used to these kinds of events.

Why would we have heard of it? Dozens of people are dumb enough to occupy the same space as a speeding train and die from it every day.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

To the OP: I am sorry I did not hear of this, but I understand your curiousity in wanting to know more. I was once on a plane that killed a ground crew worker - it happened over 10 years ago and I still think of it fairly often. In my area, train accidents like this are certainly not a daily occurrence and are always in the news when it happens. I would try looking for a local people for the area where the accident occurred. Best of luck to you.

Green Maned Lion said: "Dozens of people are dumb enough to occupy the same space as a speeding train and die from it every day."

I'm not exagerating. 5000 people are killed each year at grade crossings. An average of 14 people a day.

Based on a search of the media outlets from Klamath Falls down to Sacramento there was no story published. Then again I've heard the media doesn't like to report on a story like that espcially if it was a suiclde in an effort to prevent copycats.

I'm not exagerating. 5000 people are killed each year at grade crossings. An average of 14 people a day.
Cite your source, please
Operation Red Block brochore sitting on my desk.

Cite your source, please
Operation Red Block brochore sitting on my desk.
Actually Operation Red Block is an internal program designed to assist employees who may have personal issues with alcohol, drugs, etc. Operation Life Saver is a joint program with the friright railroads and Amtrak designed to educate the general public about the need for safety at railroad grade crossings.

I also believe you are incorect with the figure of 5,000. I think it is more like 450-500 - which is still quite a large number of deaths.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also believe you are incorect with the figure of 5,000. I think it is more like 450-500 - which is still quite a large number of deaths.
I don't know about the sources, but there is more to the world than the US. Given 400-500, or even 200, deaths per year in the US, a figure of 5000 per year seems perfectly reasonable, if not a bit low.

I don't know about the sources, but there is more to the world than the US. Given 400-500, or even 200, deaths per year in the US, a figure of 5000 per year seems perfectly reasonable, if not a bit low.
Who was talk'n the world? Did I miss something or are you just expanding on the discussion?

Who was talk'n the world? Did I miss something or are you just expanding on the discussion?
Who narrowed it down to the US only?

I see nothing about US-only there. People refuted this claim by limiting their claims to the US only.

Aloha

No one has broken any board rules, with this topic, but I feel the need to say something here. Since this thread started I felt very sad about the title. The "Coast Starlight" did not kill anyone. The "Individual's" use of a "mind altering Drug", Legal Alcohol is the cause of death. Some years ago a friend that was a alcoholic died from his liver condition, from drinking with a drink in his hand. Did anyone blame Budweiser? Most drunks seek a cool place to sleep off the booze, that's why the go near the rail the steel rail is cool.

I extend my condolences to all that have to deal with this.

Mahalo

try telling that to the family its the same all the time. (if the train did not come or if it had stopped in time he would still be alive) :rolleyes:

yeh im sure it happens all the time, i was just curious to try and find out a bit more about it. no one really seemed to wanna let us know what happened and just thought maybe you guys would know where to go to find out bout it. im from melbourne, australia and im travelling round the states and it happens alot at home, mainly suicides though and it always makes front page news
Forget V/Line - VicRail was the best.

You're right about suicides in the Melbourne 'burbs, though. Seemed like an almost daily occurence on the Box Hill line near Canterbury.

Another Australian riding Amtrak? They must be almost able to understand us by now (enjoying your 'entrees'?).

Hi, i was on the coast starlight which left seattle on friday 31st oct. woke up at bout 4.30am saturday because i felt the emergency brakes slam into gear and when we finally stopped there was a level crossing out of my window. went back to sleep and woke up at 7.30 am. same level crossing was still out my window and i found out that a man had been drunk and passed out on the tracks and we ran over him just after chico? ( i think) has anyone heard about this event? im trying to find out more information for it
I think this is the article you want: "Gridley teen killed by train"

The "laying across the rails" clause reminds me of a Chico State student similarly situated a month ago, head on one rail and feet on the other ... "alcohol may have been involved" was reported at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back