competitive rates

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I want to take a nice long train ride vacation to nowhere in particular, that's what I do. If the destination is the vacation objective, common sense prevails. On the other hand, if I have to get somewhere for business I always see if I can make the train work for me. By 'work for me' I mean it has to cost relatively the same as the other modes of transportation (all fees in) or I have to be willing to pay the difference on my own dime; there has to be either a business class seat or sleeper available; the trip time has to be comparable to other modes of transport or I have to be willing to take the extra travel hours on my own clock not the company's. With these personal rules, I often end up on a plane. I don't understand the concept of whether Amtrak pricing is competitive--if it wasn't competitive (with what? alternate types of vacations or straight up transport of passengers?) the darned sleepers wouldn't be so full. And if retirees (a group I heartily aspire to join some day)and railfans want to pay for the pleasure of meandering over the countryside in aging fiber glass boxes with iffy AC and heat eating mediocre food, more power to us!! If Amtrak customers did not consider the train to be the competitive choice for them, these trains would have gone the way of the leisure suit by now.

I've read that numerous times. You realize that anywhere's from New York to Chicago are within a one day drive. Even stopping one night doesn't mean your vacation time is ruined. With a young family most people I know drive it from the New England area. And this is an affluent area. As people get older they tend to fly, but I still know a lot of people that drive it.
So a close to 20 hour drive to Disney from Chicago or a 22 hour drive from Providence RI is now considered a one day drive? You must have some stamina, man. That would be a full two day travel time, especially with young kids in the car. Stopping halfway after one day and driving the rest the next would put you into the Disney area late in the afternoon or in the early evening on the second day. Although it's entirely possible to do, especially on a weekend, my point was that anything farther out would almost surely involve flying.

Last I checked 24 hours is considered a full day? Is that different where you live?

I've read that numerous times. You realize that anywhere's from New York to Chicago are within a one day drive. Even stopping one night doesn't mean your vacation time is ruined. With a young family most people I know drive it from the New England area. And this is an affluent area. As people get older they tend to fly, but I still know a lot of people that drive it.
So a close to 20 hour drive to Disney from Chicago or a 22 hour drive from Providence RI is now considered a one day drive? You must have some stamina, man. That would be a full two day travel time, especially with young kids in the car. Stopping halfway after one day and driving the rest the next would put you into the Disney area late in the afternoon or in the early evening on the second day. Although it's entirely possible to do, especially on a weekend, my point was that anything farther out would almost surely involve flying.

Last I checked 24 hours is considered a full day? Is that different where you live?
Yes, but a "full day of driving" does not usually involve going for 24 hours straight.

A 24 hour drive is NOT a one day drive. Do you know any one person that can drive for 24 hours straight? A 24 hour drive, especially in a family with young kids, is more like a 2-3 day drive when you take into account breaks, rest stops, meals, and of course, stopping to sleep along the way for the driver(s).

We usually take the train from NYP to TPA each February. We have the time and I like

riding the trains. We get a bedroom and enjoy the trip. If we want to take our little dog,

we must drive since pets are not permitted on the train - either the Silver Star or the Auto Train.

It is a matter of personal choice and affordability.

Nonsense. You do realize most people DRIVE to Florida on family vacations?
Are you crazy? the only time I drove to Florida from New England was when I was 21 years old - and I would never do it again.

I don't know of any families in New England that drive to Florida. It is too far and too long.

In fact, my sister thinks I am crazy when I drive to Philly (or take the train). Anything south of NYC to her is a flight.
Both sides of this argument are silly. Many people fly to Florida. Many people drive to Florida. And considering the loads of the 3 Daily trains, many people take the train to Florida. Trust me MANY MANY MANY families drive from New England to Florida every year. Lots of people go to Florida (the Magic Kingdom park alone sees as many 50,000 people a day!) and they get to Florida using all sorts of ways.

Now if I had to guess, I would say the majority of people visiting Disney fly, but the amount of people driving is close behind.

You know, I'm wondering...given how badly airlines have been beaten up, I'm wondering how much business Amtrak could run on the Silvers at $X if gas keeps rising steadily in price.

If it's a family that is driving all the way through, typically everyone of driving age will rotate a turn in the driver seat while other people sleep in the car. Any time you have more than 2 kids that also need tickets to fly, families start looking at alternative means to get them to Mickeyland.

A 24 hour drive is NOT a one day drive. Do you know any one person that can drive for 24 hours straight? A 24 hour drive, especially in a family with young kids, is more like a 2-3 day drive when you take into account breaks, rest stops, meals, and of course, stopping to sleep along the way for the driver(s).
Even stopping for one night is not a cost killer for a family. Yeah, longer than that and it stops being cost effective. Although many Canadians drive it all the time and it's probably a two night trip. next time you're in Disney take a glance at the licence plates in the parking lots.

Last edited by a moderator:
nferr,

Yeah, that's about right. I think gas prices are starting to maul that equation again, however, much as they did back in 2008. What's affordable at $2.50/gal may not be at $5.00/gal (and bear in mind that a round trip from NYC-Orlando runs around 80 gallons in a lot of cars...each $1.25/gal=$100 added to the trip cost just for the round trip).

On a tight trip budget...$150 in added costs can kill the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back