Does Amtrak Overbook?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRids

Service Attendant
There was a post for this many years ago, but I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with Amtrak overbooking, specifically in coach. What about the 1/2 BC cars used on Midwest, Empire, Downeaster, etc?. I am taking a trip next weekend (Columbus Day) and am boarding “up the line” and expecting fully packed trains.

Amtrak doesn’t overbook in the same way the airlines do, if a train has 100
seats Amtrak will only sell 100 tickets. Of course most Amtrak trains do not allow you to select your seat so while you are guaranteed a seat you are not guaranteed a window or aisle or the ability to sit next to any traveling companions.

I've been on Northeast Regionals where the coach sections were packed to the point where Conductors had to make room in the Cafe Car so that no one had to stand.

In the case of Sleeping Car pax, if there were less sleepers than planned, that will in most cases cause pax to be bumped to coach.

Ken

I've been on Northeast Regionals where the coach sections were packed to the point where Conductors had to make room in the Cafe Car so that no one had to stand.

In the case of Sleeping Car pax, if there were less sleepers than planned, that will in most cases cause pax to be bumped to coach.

Ken
I am confused by this. Your post would indicate that Amtrak does indeed sell more tickets than seats, unless they consider the cafe car a seat.

In the past, Amtrak definitely would overbook coach. Not by a ton, but maybe a few percent. During the early COVID days, I understand that was stopped simply because they had to cut back to ~50% or so of seated capacity. Now that they no longer have those restrictions, I don’t know if they have returned to slight overbooking, or if they cap it at 100%. If those who say Amtrak doesn’t overbook have current info, then fine. But if they’re speaking from the basis of guesses/assumptions, I’d be wary of that.

I can’t say that every train would get overbooked, and premium accommodations definitely would be sold to the limit of planned capacity. It would actually surprise me if (COVID changes notwithstanding) they didn’t get more effective at overbooking, since they should have a better idea these days of how many no-shows there are on which segments of which routes, on which days of the week; how many late cancels/last minute changes they get, etc.

Selling only 100 tickets on a 100-seat train leaves a lot of potential revenue on the table when you know, for example, that 2% of passengers miss their train, and another 3% will rebook for a different train a few hours from departure.

If they would follow the policy of say, Broadway theaters, where if you don’t show, you simply lose your money, no excuses, there would be no reason to overbook. JMHO…

On the Corridor, it’s also much more likely a passenger will buy a ticket for train A and end up taking train B. So even if a train isn’t overbooked it could end up short seats. When you’ve got a full Regional train with 600+ passengers, conductors don’t always have time to stop and rebook every wrong ticket to the correct train. Quicker to accept the fare and keep it moving. Don’t try to bring a Regional ticket to Acela, though. 😉

If they would follow the policy of say, Broadway theaters, where if you don’t show, you simply lose your money, no excuses, there would be no reason to overbook. JMHO…
I thought that is Amtrak policy for no-shows. Of course, it doesn't apply to missed connections, and Flex tickets can be canceled right up until departure.

I thought that is Amtrak policy for no-shows. Of course, it doesn't apply to missed connections, and Flex tickets can be canceled right up until departure.
Absolutely. I once was booked on a Sunday evening regional NYP->BOS, then just before the trip discovered I had reasons to stay a little longer in New York and modified my reservation to coach in the 66. However, I messed up and didn't check the date. It turn out I was on the early Sunday morning (3AM) 66, not on the late Sunday night/early Monday morning 66! When I showed up at NYP at about 11 PM, I discovered I had missed my train by 20 hours. No refund, the only tickets available on the 66 were Business Class (a lot more than coach, but still cheaper than an NYC hotel and coach the next morning.)

No refunds or credits if you miss your train, unless it was a guaranteed connection or you cancel early enough.

Amtrak will overbook the Northeast Regional. Unreserved trains can also end up in an overbooking situation due to the tickets being open to be used on any train.

Back