Early Arrival, Get Off Immediately?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you're kicked out the door the minute the train arrives...even if that's 4:30 in the morning!
That is true, but every time (once) I've arrived early on the westbound Sunset Limited, the Metropolitan Lounge was opened early for the eligible arriving passengers.

Now you're kicked out the door the minute the train arrives...even if that's 4:30 in the morning!
That is true, but every time (once) I've arrived early on the westbound Sunset Limited, the Metropolitan Lounge was opened early for the eligible arriving passengers.
The Metro Lounge early opening "perk" is a pretty weak replacement in my opinion. Previously you could sleep-in until sunrise. That was perfectly doable in my view. Now you're woken abruptly and kicked out of bed into the night. If they really cared about making the arrival genuinely pleasant they'd have installed day rooms and shower stalls. At least then you'd have something to look forward to while the rest of the city continues to sleep soundly.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my last SL into LAX, the SCA didn't wake us up until just 10 minutes before arrival. we were arriving early, but he went room to room says not to rush, but if we needed assistance off to let him know and also if you needed Red Cap service so he could make arrangements, otherwise we had 30 minutes to get off after arrival. This was unusual, but he evidently was helping in a Coach with a problem so was late getting wake up calls made. It was obvious in LA someone wanted us off because a couple staff came on the car to assist the SCA get people off and prep rooms.

Even though the train arrived early, it will not depart untill the correct time, so you can relax about having to jump off in your pyjamas :D
Personal experience with this situation at the same station and on the same train in question proved differently, alas. Arriving nearly an hour early, my SCA gave a five minute warning and expected my bedroom vacated on arrival. Pajamas were still being worn, needless to say.
He or she can't MAKE you detrain if your train is early. That would certainly be a reason to withhold a tip, and file a complaint. However, you shouldn't wait until the last minute either.

About 5 years ago I was making the exact same connection as the OP, from the CS to the CZ. I was also in a roomette. However, the big difference was that the CS was operating on a temporary schedule, with everything shifted roughly two hours later.

So, that meant the scheduled arrival time was around 8:15 a.m., making it possible to get breakfast in the diner. My SO and I set our alarm for 6:30, figuring that would give us plenty of time. But when we woke up, we discovered the train was due into SAC a full hour early, making it difficult to both have breakfast and pack up our room before arrival.

So...we simply asked our SCA whether we had to get off the train right away in SAC. He just shrugged and said the train was due to depart SAC at 8:35, and as long as we were off the train by then, it didn't make a difference to him. So we had a leisurely breakfast, finishing up right around the time the train pulled into SAC. Then we went back to our room, took our time packing up, and still got off the train with about 20 minutes to spare. No sweat. In this case, I suspect the room was not scheduled to be occupied upon leaving SAC (or perhaps at all).

Anyhow, the OP won't have this same scenario, since under the normal schedule there would never be a chance to have breakfast before arriving in SAC. The point being, ask your SCA and you just might get a favorable answer.

After two pages, I think this has been beaten to death, so I decided to grab a rod and keep beating.

The CS has no D or L at SAC so that's all irrelevant chatter. Since it's not a terminus, you'll be expected to disembark when the train arrives. The Sleeping Car attendant needs time to change the sheets and clean up. The next passenger DOES have the expectation of settling in and taking their room upon arrival of the train.

So get off the train, find a cute coffee/breakfast spot, and enjoy a few more minutes in Sacramento.

Regardless of what the SCA wants, just take your time... You won't be carried off to the next station before time.

If the SCA wakes you in plenty of time and it suits you to get off early, all well and good. Just seems no need to "panic" at the early arrival. Ed.
In my experience if you don't disembark when the SCA tells you to then before long the Conductor will come along to see what the problem is. Unless I'm mistaken Conductors can have you forcibly hauled off the train if they so choose. I have no idea if they'd actually do that or not but I'd probably refrain from testing them if I could avoid it. My advice is to set the alarm to get up early and be ready to detrain upon arrival. If there is one thing Amtrak staff don't seem to have much humor about it's sticking around after you've arrived at your destination.
I don't think anyone is suggesting you challenge the conductor. But if you are gone 15 minutes before departure time, you've e given the SLA enough time to do whatever he needs to do. If the SCA feels the need to do something as customer unfriendly as calling the conductor, let him do it and then just say Yes Sir! to the conductor.

Ok, how about 20 minutes?

PS: On a recent 4 segment overnight trip, all the SCA's were top notch and none of them seemed like the sort to do such a thing.

Since it's not a terminus, you'll be expected to disembark when the train arrives.
Is there a terminus somewhere that does not expect you to disembark when the train arrives? To the best of my knowledge LAUS was the only terminus that allowed delayed disembarkation (for sleeper pax) and that perk has since been rescinded.

My own experience from the Capital Limited a few years ago. Roomette to PIT connecting to the Pennsylvanian. Set my alarm for 45 minutes before scheduled arrival. Got up and headed to the shower to find we were arriving PIT right then. With its scheduled dwell time, it would be sitting there over an hour. But no problem - SCA just said take your time and be off before it departs. I said I'd probably be off before scheduled arrival.

While someone posted that you're paying for distance, not time, I disagree I feel you're also paying for time and if a train is early to an intermediate stop, you are entitled to occupancy until the scheduled arrival time. They generally don't start boarding early and the SCA should have had the work planned to be done within the scheduled time. Of course, time of day makes a difference. When I want that morning shower before a pre 6am arrival, I expect to be able to do so until scheduled arrival. Make me 30 minutes early for a 3pm stop and I'm probably more than happy to be on my way immediately.

My own experience from the Capital Limited a few years ago. Roomette to PIT connecting to the Pennsylvanian. Set my alarm for 45 minutes before scheduled arrival. Got up and headed to the shower to find we were arriving PIT right then.
The Amtrak station code for Pittsburgh is PGH. PIT is Pittsfield, MA on the Boston section of the LSL.

My own experience from the Capital Limited a few years ago. Roomette to PIT connecting to the Pennsylvanian. Set my alarm for 45 minutes before scheduled arrival. Got up and headed to the shower to find we were arriving PIT right then. With its scheduled dwell time, it would be sitting there over an hour. But no problem - SCA just said take your time and be off before it departs. I said I'd probably be off before scheduled arrival.

While someone posted that you're paying for distance, not time, I disagree I feel you're also paying for time and if a train is early to an intermediate stop, you are entitled to occupancy until the scheduled arrival time. They generally don't start boarding early and the SCA should have had the work planned to be done within the scheduled time. Of course, time of day makes a difference. When I want that morning shower before a pre 6am arrival, I expect to be able to do so until scheduled arrival. Make me 30 minutes early for a 3pm stop and I'm probably more than happy to be on my way immediately.
Not for a departure only stop, like the westbound California Zephyr from Sacramento to Richmond.

My own experience from the Capital Limited a few years ago. Roomette to PIT connecting to the Pennsylvanian. Set my alarm for 45 minutes before scheduled arrival. Got up and headed to the shower to find we were arriving PIT right then.
The Amtrak station code for Pittsburgh is PGH. PIT is Pittsfield, MA on the Boston section of the LSL.
Hey, I work for an airline. Pittsburgh is PIT to us. And I'm actually surprised Amtrak used PIT for a different city considering how many places Amtrak did use the nearby airport code when it was descriptive of the city name (rather than the airport name).

Not for a departure only stop, like the westbound California Zephyr from Sacramento to Richmond.
I was clearly talking about early morning stops and situations where the train must wait for scheduled departure time. The CZ is not scheduled to arrive early in the morning at those stops.

While someone posted that you're paying for distance, not time, I disagree I feel you're also paying for time and if a train is early to an intermediate stop, you are entitled to occupancy until the scheduled arrival time.
I'm with you in spirit, but unfortunately there does not seem to be anything in Amtrak's publicly stated policies to support the "time" argument. Amtrak's website describes tickets as being valid "between the stations listed on the ticket." I do not see any reference to having the right to occupy accommodations until a stated timepoint, only a stated destination. Like I said upthread, the best course of action (IMO) is to do precisely what you did...consult your SCA. But approaching it as a "right" as opposed to a "request" may not be a good course of action.

If you're at a D or L coded station, get off ASAP.

Otherwise, they are not allowed to leave until the scheduled departure time. So don't dilly-dally, but proceed with all deliberate speed. In other words, feel free to tell the attendant "We have to get dressed before leaving". If the attendant tried to rush you out in your pajamas, you could most certainly get him reprimanded.

As is my standard response regarding everything on Amtrak... there is no consistent policy that is followed. I was really surprised that I had to get off the Sunset at 4:30 AM upon arrival and not get to sleep until the scheduled arrival time.

On a previous trip on the Southwest Chief, I was getting off in Kansas City and we were over an hour early. The SCA told me he needed to turn the room, but I could leave my bag downstairs and enjoy breakfast on the train if I wanted to. I thought that was a nice way to handle the situation.

TBH I think that Amtrak does need to do something as far as not arriving into destination stations obscenely early in the middle of the night or very early in the morning. I know that OTP is the metric everyone looks at, but in cases like the Sunset into LAX I'd actually suggest ripping the "D" off of the last stops before LAX and looking to move most of the OTP buffer out a stop. There aren't any other major stops which really scream this to me aside from LAX, SAC, and maybe PGH.

I'm traveling on the Coast Starlight this summer, then transferring to the California Zephyr. This morning, the train arrived 55 minutes early, at 5:20 am. if a train arrives way ahead of schedule, are you required the get off immediately? If I'm asleep, how am I supposed to know that the train is running that far ahead of schedule? I would prefer to wake up 1/2 before it's time to get off and sleep longer.
My very first ride in a roomette, I was making this transfer, and the train arrived early at SAC.
The SCA woke me on arrival and simply told me to be off the train before its scheduled departure time. I took him up on his invitation to take a shower.

Until now, I had no idea that this was unusual. It certainly seems like the only reasonable approach.

While someone posted that you're paying for distance, not time, I disagree I feel you're also paying for time and if a train is early to an intermediate stop, you are entitled to occupancy until the scheduled arrival time.
I'm with you in spirit, but unfortunately there does not seem to be anything in Amtrak's publicly stated policies to support the "time" argument. Amtrak's website describes tickets as being valid "between the stations listed on the ticket." I do not see any reference to having the right to occupy accommodations until a stated timepoint, only a stated destination. Like I said upthread, the best course of action (IMO) is to do precisely what you did...consult your SCA. But approaching it as a "right" as opposed to a "request" may not be a good course of action.
Okay....time vs. distance...consider this scenario....

The CS is seriously delayed (say4 hours or so) on its southbound trip. You are scheduled to get off at Sacramento at 6:35 AM. Another passenger, who was in coach already (due to sleepers sold out), but had paid to get your room at Sacramento on to Los Angeles, mainly to get the included meal benefit, is now delayed until around 1035 AM to move over to the room....who gets the included breakfast? You, (you normally would be off before), or them (they paid for it)?

I don't know what Amtrak policy would be in that situation, but as a way of compensation for the lateness, you probably both should get the comped meal......

The CS is seriously delayed (say4 hours or so) on its southbound trip. You are scheduled to get off at Sacramento at 6:35 AM. Another passenger, who was in coach already (due to sleepers sold out), but had paid to get your room at Sacramento on to Los Angeles, mainly to get the included meal benefit, is now delayed until around 1035 AM to move over to the room....who gets the included breakfast? You, (you normally would be off before), or them (they paid for it)?

I don't know what Amtrak policy would be in that situation, but as a way of compensation for the lateness, you probably both should get the comped meal......
By 1035, the diner is certainly shut down for breakfast. It wont be the new passenger getting breakfast in that scenario!

I would say: if the coach passenger is moving into a sleeper at SAC and the CS arrives SAC while breakfast is still being served, then that passenger can simply go to the diner, show his ticket for sleeper fare from SAC to a point south, and sit down and get his included breakfast.

It makes no difference whether that passenger has actually moved his belongings into his assigned sleeper space yet or not.

Likewise, if the passenger who was riding in the sleeper north of SAC goes to the diner before arrival into SAC, then he is also entitled to breakfast by showing his ticket for sleeper occupancy from some point north of SAC to SAC.

I see what you're saying, and if I was the coach-but-should-have-been-in-the-sleeper-by-now passenger, I would certainly make the case for getting my breakfast comped. But depending on that passenger's destination, the fact that the train is running four hours late could mean they get an additional free meal further down the line that they wouldn't have otherwise received.

For instance, if they were ticketed to Salinas (scheduled arrival 11:48 a.m.) they normally wouldn't get lunch, but they certainly could under a four hour delay. Of if they were ticketed to San Luis Obispo, (scheduled arrival 3:20 p.m.) they could get a free dinner if the train was four hours late. The dining car crew isn't going to look at your ticket and say "well you should have been off the train by now, so we can't serve you."

wait... Amtrak trains arriving early?

won't that cause space-time continuum disruption? :(

wait... Amtrak trains arriving early?

won't that cause space-time continuum disruption? :(
It happens alot more than people think. Because of the padding built into the schedules, any train that is on time before reaching the terminal station (or a service stop like El Paso on the SL or Denver on the Zephyr) will be significantly early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back