First time Zephyr + Starlight, Surfliner, Ventures, Metra, and United

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every single Amtrak employee I interacted with, minus Brad, was average and pretty indifferent.
There are some great ones, but sadly, others whose attitude seems to be "This would be a great job if it weren't for all these passengers." I think my worst experience with a conductor was during the COVID maskness, when I was on the Sunset going from New Orleans to San Antonio, sitting in my roomette (downstairs), with the door closed but the curtain was open. The masked Conductor opened my door without a knock or a gesture and told me forcefully that I was not wearing a mask I had to have the door closed and the curtain drawn. This was obviously a power play, as either the door, or the curtain would be an effective alternative to the mask. I did as she said. (she apparently came back several times to check on my compliance) (I'm not sure why she was so down on me; maybe she was down on everybody). It was clear from what the CSA said later that the particular conductor was not liked, and she would've put me off the train had I not complied.

After Salinas, I stayed in the SSL which was surprisingly busy This was due to, in part, the fact that there were Trails & Rails volunteers on board.
We were glad to hear that the "Trails and Rails" volunteers are still coming on board and doing their presentations. In September 2009, they were on the southbound Coast Starlight that we were on, giving a running commentary which we found quite interesting. At the summit of Questa grade (which is actually located inside Tunnel #6) one of the volunteers produced a carpenter’s level and had someone check it to see when we had started the descent. As we passed through Guadalupe, one of the volunteers commented that some of the old sets from Cecil B. DeMille’s 1923 silent film THE TEN COMMANDMENTS had been uncovered a few years earlier in the sand dunes to the west. At Pernales (or Hondo) Point, the volunteers pointed out the location where, on April 8, 1923, seven U.S. Navy destroyers had all run aground while traveling in formation. The wrecked ships are still out there, underwater.

Last edited:
Two systems, HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) and DVW (Drain Waste and Vent). He either said or meant to say DVW. You heard or thought you heard HVAC. My guess is that the error was his.
Maybe it was a 'slip', or intentional. Maybe the effect is similar.

That's interesting to hear that they took your dinner reservation in the lounge in Chicago before even boarding. That's the first I've heard of that on Amtrak.
They used to do that quite routinely ten years back when they were more serious about dining service. Maybe this is a good sign.

They used to do that quite routinely ten years back when they were more serious about dining service. Maybe this is a good sign.
Well the LSA seemed like she had been bored of her job for the past 10 years whenever I saw her, so maybe she was there when they were doing that and has picked it up again.

Back