Hermine - Aug/Sep 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on 97 right now (on time leaving RVR) and, from what I heard, we are expected to make it down to Florida. Tomorrow's 97 and Thursday's 98 may not be so lucky - depending on what the storm does.

Judging by the forecast track, I think the Sunset East is in real trouble on this one... ... ...

Judging by the forecast track, I think the Sunset East is in real trouble on this one... ... ...
This is nowhere near the size of Katrina and CSX had the tracks running within a year after that. The Gulf Coast train is years off so even if there is significant damage to the tracks I doubt that this storm will affect the proposed service.

Sorry... as a professional meteorologist, I couldn't resist. ;)

This doesn't look like it'll be a huge deal for the Southeast Atlantic coast. Likely tropical storm conditions from around JAX through CHS in terms of AMTK territory, then continuing along the coast up through Kitty Hawk (where AMTK goes farther inland).

The 9/1 departures of all Florida trains from both ends 91(1), 92(1), 97(1), 98(1) have apparently been canceled. They are showing "Sold Out" in the reservation system. In addition 91(31) will not got to Tampa. It will directly head to Miami from Orlando (at Auburndale).

Meanwhile, out here in Melbourne FL, this morning we had Tropical Storm Warning posted for Thursday. That warning has now disappeared as the projected path has veered further to the north and west.

Here is the projected path. It could rightfully be called the Atlantic Coast Line Storm!

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Tropical-Depression-Nine?map=5day&MR=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak just posted this.

Amtrak Suspends Service in the Southeast Region Severe weather expected to impact East CoastAug. 31, 2016
12:30 p.m. ET

Amtrak will suspend services in the southeast region due to severe weather impacting Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia.

On Thursday, Sept. 1, the Silver Star 91 & 92 (New York City - Miami), Silver Meteor 97 & 98 (Miami - New York City) and the Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) are cancelled. Some Thruway Bus Connections will also be cancelled.

On Friday, Sept. 2, the Auto Train 52 & 53, and Silver Meteor 97 & 98 are cancelled. The Silver Star 91 will operate between Jacksonville, Fla., and Miami. The Silver Star 92 will operate between Miami and Jacksonville, Fla.

The Palmetto (New York City - Savannah, Ga.) is operating between New York City and Richmond, Va., due to scheduled track work.

No alternate transportation will be provided for the services that are cancelled.

This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
jb

Being selfish here: I hope this brings some much-needed rain to here in western NC, and other heat- and drought-stressed parts of the southeast.

Earlier this evening I learned for certain that the Auto Train, numbers 52 and 53, would be annulled September 1 in both directions for weather-related reasons. A few minutes ago I heard that the annulment would be extended to September 2, but I have not been able to determine whether this is fact, speculation, or rumor. I am sure other trains on the Washington to Florida route will be affected as well, but have no information about them.

Tom

Earlier this evening I learned for certain that the Auto Train, numbers 52 and 53, would be annulled September 1 in both directions for weather-related reasons. A few minutes ago I heard that the annulment would be extended to September 2, but I have not been able to determine whether this is fact, speculation, or rumor. I am sure other trains on the Washington to Florida route will be affected as well, but have no information about them.

Tom
They are cancelled and it is being covered in the Tropical Storm Hermine - Aug/Sep 2016 thread.

Perhaps a moderator can merge these two threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was a projection of a storm surge upto 9 feet like in this case and with a declared emergency in the counties it runs through? Absolutely. Who the heck will be riding it up And down the coast few feet above the sea level with everyone busy evacuating inland and boarding up their houses?

Tom
They are cancelled and it is being covered in the Tropical Storm Hermine - Aug/Sep 2016 thread.

Perhaps a moderator can merge these two threads.
threads merged.

Hopefully all of you in Florida will be safe and the Hurricane will head out into the Atlantic and play itself out far away from the Eastern Shore!
No it won't. It will carefully trudge its way up through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and bit of Virginia all as a reasonable Tropical storm transitioning into an extra-tropical one, and then it will stall off shore from New York and hang out there for several days. At least that is what the model runs say at present. It is not going anywhere until the end of the weekend.

If it stalls off Long Island another repeat of " Sandy " storm surge ?
I doubt we will see something like Sandy for a while, especially looking at the circumstances that went into creating that storm. Looking at the current tracks, after the northeast, the storm is heading out to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back