Michigan North-South Rail Passenger Project

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I am wondering how the connection in Ann Arbor from The Ann Arbor RR to the ex NYC line. I have lived there and they do not meet at grade. I kinda of remember a sharp steep curve providing a connection a long time ago, but current maps do not show it. Even if it did exist it would involve backup moves. Looking at the map it seems like the best connection would be a new bridge over the Huron river.

I do have to admit it would be nice to see passenger trains on the old Ann Arbor again.

Last edited:
As a quasi Michigan railfan I've followed this story for awhile. Still surprised that the Detroit to Grand Rapids route isn't a higher priority than North-South. At the top end the stations could best be described as "seasonal".

Any obvious reason that DET-GRR seems to rarely if ever show up in proposals, discussions, etc?

To me it's such an obviously-good candiate. I like the idea of Holland-Grand Rapids-Lansing-Howell-Ann Arbor-Dearborn-Detroit. I know it's a bit of a detour to head south rather than plunge headfirst into Detroit on the CSX through Livonia and Plymouth, but the addition of Ann Arbor and the U of Michigan to the line gives barn-burner levels of potential traffic. Definitely some extra expense making that route run with competitive speeds and it won't be cheap to mate the two lines in Ann Arbor for trains to run down from Howell and head east towards Ypsilanti. But dang, it would be worth it.

But even a more traditional GRR-LAN-DET route seems glaringly absent from the discussion. Any idea why??

But even a more traditional GRR-LAN-DET route seems glaringly absent from the discussion. Any idea why??
I have to wonder that as well - linking the largest metropolitan area in the state to the state capital (third largest metro area) and second largest metropolitan area and potentially on to the largest city in the region seems to be a major ridership builder.

As to which route to pursue, there are many factors, not all of which involve the most populated city pairs. First, the proposed route to north Michigan will provide needed, all weather transportation to an underserved part of the state. Second, rail passenger service market penetration in smaller communities frequently far exceeds the market penetration in large metro areas. Third, rail brings economic development and has a dramatic impact on local economies, especially in smaller communities. Fourth, negotiating access to an extremely busy rail mainline with a recalcitrant host railroad and the improvements necessary to accommodate a corridor are significant. Where rail is in public ownership, as much of this northern Michigan line is, is a much simpler proposition and the costs of upgrade may actually be less than building a corridor on an extremely busy freight line. Finally, these rail upgrades will also inure to the benefit of freight service to northern Michigan. Obviously, Detroit to Grand Rapids is a sensible corridor, but it probably comes after the northern Michigan service that is probably more easily implemented.

As a long ago Michigander from Detroit ( and one who used the AA station to go back and forth from UM in the pre-Amtrak days), my two cents is that this route make a great deal of sense, serves an un-served portion of the LP and goes where Southeastern folks want to go. And, unless you're into beer and Gerald Ford, Grand Rapids isn't a destination stop on most minds.

I have to wonder that as well - linking the largest metropolitan area in the state to the state capital (third largest metro area) and second largest metropolitan area and potentially on to the largest city in the region seems to be a major ridership builder.
It makes so much sense, it will come, but after the northern Michigan service for many reasons.

Back