New train (40-41 Floridian) between Miami and Chicago via Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 3rd sleeper means needing 5 of them. The LSL getting a 4th sleeper requires only 3. A more meaningful allocation would be that 3rd sleeeper runs on the Pennsylvanian and Floridian via Pittsburgh.

Of course there's plenty of meals available in the diner for coach passengers. $45 for dinner is sticker shock. How many will spring for that ?

Wonder if they'll restock the cafe at Washington if they start running out of things.

Last edited:
As far as sleeper space goes, yeah. The Cap had two Superliner sleepers. Not sure if they had a transdorm.

So: Two Superliners:
10 Bedrooms
24 Revenue Roomettes (without a transdorm there would have to be a least 4 roomettes for the crew 2 SCAs, diner/lounge LSA, coach attendant).
2 Accessible Bedrooms
2 Family Rooms

Two Viewliners:
4 Bedrooms
about 13 Revenue Roomettes (10 available out of 12 in each car minus roomettes for Lounge LSA, Dining car staff of 4, 2 coach attendants. SCAs have separate non-rev roomettes. I may be wrong about whether 11 and 12 in each car which are normally unused and used for storage, can be used by Amtrak OBS rather than supplies and excess luggage, so there might be a couple more available).
2 Accessible Rooms
0 Family rooms.
I hope all those who discouraged the procurement of bilevel equipment for Amtrak's new long distance fleet absorb this.

The reduction in capacity should be viewed in conjunction with utilization. If the rooms were not normally sold losing them isn't that important. I know some folks like lots of unsold space because it keeps prices down, but that's not how you run things.
When comparing prices for our first trip to DC the CL sleeper fares definitely deterred me from the route. Ended up on the Cardinal for 2k less (5ppl) after monitoring for a month.

A 3rd sleeper means needing 5 of them. The LSL getting a 4th sleeper requires only 3. A more meaningful allocation would be that 3rd sleeeper runs on the Pennsylanian and Floridian via Pittsburgh.

Of course there's plenty of meals available in the diner for coach passengers. $45 for dinner is sticker shock. How many will spring for that ?

Wonder if they'll restock the cafe at Washington if they start running out of things.
I've heard they will be restocking cafe/diner in DC. I've heard scheduled layover will be 55 mins for fueling and crew change as well.

I've heard they will be restocking cafe/diner in DC. I've heard scheduled layover will be 55 mins for fueling and crew change as well.
They basically have to load on the stock that they now load onto the Cap northbound. Southbound will be an additional stocking exercise that they do not currently have.

The stop incidentally is 59 mins northbound and 38 mins southbound.

Are they actually able to fuel an engine at the lower level platforms of Washington Union Station? Or will they like in the good old Steam Engine days just switch out the engines and replace with freshly fueled one(s)?

Main locations from west coast to Floridian at CHI now in reservations computer. However, NEC north of WAS still shows Star connections operating out of NYP.
There are designated guaranteed connection Regional and Acela for connecting to and from the Floridian from and to the North.

No two night LD restocks en route. Running out of a popular dessert or entree isn't all that unusual and, unfortunately they're out of something, they're out. No one goes hungry, though, you just order something else.
That's true. At least the Viewliner Diner has plenty of space to store two days worth of meals.
The Cap is flex. Traditional would require different inventory in the WAS commisary.
That is a very good point. I would be surprised if there is a Diner restocking. OTOH a Cafe restocking is quite feasible and might be needed since storage in Amfleet II Cafe/Lounges are much more limited than in the Viewliner Diner.

That's true. At least the Viewliner Diner has plenty of space to store two days worth of meals.

That is a very good point. I would be surprised if there is a Diner restocking. OTOH a Cafe restocking is quite feasible and might be needed since storage in Amfleet II Cafe/Lounges are much more limited than in the Viewliner Diner.
They've been known to top off the Starlight's cafe at EMY or OKJ (forgot which) from the Oakland Coach Yard's commisary. Don't think it is standard practice, but it has happened, particularly southbound. Not other places, no other western LD has a commisary other than at the terminals. Superliner cafes have more storage than Amfleet cafes, though. My guess is they'll at least top off the cafe at WAS.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Time will tell. It is disappointing 3 Viewliners aren’t being used instead of 2 especially since they they should be able to come up with them if they wanted..
I know that the CCC is immediately going to the Eaglette. I would be surprised if the 6 Sleepers do not get deployed quickly by adding one Sleeper to the Zephyr or some such.

As for finding Viewliners to add a third Viewliner to the Floridian on short notice right now ... Yes eventually they can find them by mid next year, but right now? I don't think so.They already had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find the two immediately needed for the 5th consist, given that they have been slow in getting VL-1s out of storage, and VL-IIs are having serious early failures due to CAF manufacturing defects, that need to be fixed by taking cars off line.

For those who pine for a direct Chicago-Miami routing, similar to the defunct City of Miami or the original Floridian, check out the FRA LD Study on restoring this route. https://fralongdistancerailstudy.org/meeting-materials/
It made the list of 15 "preferred routes", but the early estimates are that it will cost a cool $3 Billion to get it up and running. I think Chicago/DC/FL will have to do, at least in my lifetime. ;)
1727202426016.png

Back