New train (40-41 Floridian) between Miami and Chicago via Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a railfan, im kinda excited about this “new” train. Living in SoCal, i plan to take the Chief, overnight, then hop on board, eventually flying home.

For you east coast route experts, will I enjoy the trip on the Floridian (regardless of how long it takes?)

As a railfan, im kinda excited about this “new” train. Living in SoCal, i plan to take the Chief, overnight, then hop on board, eventually flying home.

For you east coast route experts, will I enjoy the trip on the Floridian (regardless of how long it takes?)
Take it eastbound. You get most of the Appalachian Mountains/Sand Patch Grade in daylight. Westbound a lot of that is after dark.

A lot of the run south of Washington is "tree tunnel", the Silvers were never scenic wonders and renaming the Star to Floridian doesn't change it.

Other than the SSL, what would be the advantage of a Superliner train for multi night overnight travel as far as "on board" goes? I actually think the VL accommodations are preferable.
The Viewliners are nicer. I don’t mind Amfleet II either.

Take it eastbound. You get most of the Appalachian Mountains/Sand Patch Grade in daylight. Westbound a lot of that is after dark.

A lot of the run south of Washington is "tree tunnel", the Silvers were never scenic wonders and renaming the Star to Floridian doesn't change it.
The fun of the Star and the trains running south of DC in the evening was always the lounge. Amtrak has done everything they can to kill the lounge car as well as most people plugged in instead of socializing. It would be nice to see a proper lounge return.

The Amfleet-2 started off as half dinette and half Superliner lounge seats. The lounge portion become a smoking room, walled off with hard fiberglass bus seats. Then they yanked that out and put in tables.

Amfleet-2 toilets seem to be a lot more temperamental than Superliner ones, and often a clogged up mess with water, paper towels, and toilet paper all over the floor after one night. People think a mechanical chemical toilet is like a kitchen sink garbage disposal and can eat anything. What will they be like after 46 hours ?

Thet should stick an outshopped Superliner Trans-Dorm on the back end not only for the crew to free up Viewliner rooms, but for bathroom protection.

Last edited:
I don't agree that CHI-MIA is just a bonus for rail fans. Flying and driving don't cut it for me. I, for one, am extremely happy. Living in Southern California, I can now avoid staying overnight in one, possibly two cities to make connections. I have a conference coming up in 2025 in Orlando. Coming from LAX and making a connection in Chicago the same day, and having traditional dining on both trains is extremely important to me.

I cannot see this new Floridian attracting many travelers from Chicago to Miami. The original Floridian/ South Wind train was one overnight over two days. The new route would make this two overnights over three days. I don't believe that is a good move. Furthermore, the old route stopped at Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham. Montgomery, Valdosta, Waycross and cities not served by the new route. IMO, a more direct N-S route is needed.

i am planning it, love just one train with no transfer (as much as i love DC). And I will be in coach and eating in the Dining Car (if possible)

The Viewliners are nicer. I don’t mind Amfleet II either.

The fun of the Star and the trains running south of DC in the evening was always the lounge. Amtrak has done everything they can to kill the lounge car as well as most people plugged in instead of socializing. It would be nice to see a proper lounge return.
The single level fleet doesn't have a lounge car worthy of the name. The Amcafes just do not cut it as lounge cars.

The Seaboard's Sun Lounges would be a great model for a lounge design if a new single level LD fleet ever materializes.

Among all the doom and gloom regarding the new service, I can't help but think it was designed specifically for me. I live in Illinois and snowbird in the Tampa Bay area; and this makes it so much easier.

Prior to #40, there wasn't even a train connection from Tampa to Chicago. The Star is scheduled to arrive in WAS at 3:04PM; and the Cap Ltd depart WAS at 4:05PM, a 1:01 layover, therefore not a legal connection. To make the trip, you would have to take a thruway bus to Orlando, then Silver Meteor arriving in WAS at 7:25AM. Now to my way of thinking getting up showering, having breakfast, and getting ready do de-train by 7:25 is not my idea of a civilized way to travel.

Granted, you could take the bus to Orlando, the Meteor to NYP, and the LSL to Chicago. I've done this several times. But still not an all train itinerary.

Now if one can throw their bike under the thruway bus from TPA to Clearwater/STP, I'm all set.
It’s a wonderful addition for Midwest passengers and a minor inconvenience for northeast passengers. I think it will be extremely popular, especially Midwest passengers traveling to the mid-Atlantic. It’s great for equipment utilization and a great marketing idea.

Back