New train (40-41 Floridian) between Miami and Chicago via Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in legacy RR days there was a big demand for west coast Florida service from the Midwest. IMO switching Meteor to serve Tampa would be a mistake.
What might be better is terminating the Palmetto at Tampa. Of course what would be even better is a connection at Lakeland for service to Ft. Myers and later south. ACL & SAL both had connections to those locations and the west coast tourist attractions + populations have just boomed since then.
I'm still of the crowd that believes they should just bring back separate east and west coast sections. If you aren't gonna bring back the pre-94 routing on the S-Line, split the Meteor in Auburndale, otherwise split it at Jacksonville. With Brightline now serving Orlando-Miami, I would think that leg on the Meteor would be less traveled now. Ocala-Lakeland-Miami EC section, Orlando-Lakeland-Miami WC section. Of course the logistics would have to be worked out with trackage rights, but splitting this train isn't a new idea. After all, this train was split up daily for 50 years. Even so, you could just bring back the Auburndale split to make it easier, but you serve less areas and performing that maneuver on the mainline instead of in the confines of the station is probably less desirable for dispatchers and crew alike. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first article in this RPA Hotline Issue contains a very good explanation of the equipment situation that motivated the creation of the Floridian:

https://mailchi.mp/narprail/hotline1369

The second article contains good info about the Floridian itself.

The first article in this RPA Hotline Issue contains a very good explanation of the equipment situation that motivated the creation of the Floridian:

https://mailchi.mp/narprail/hotline1369

The second article contains good info about the Floridian itself.
Solid read - particularly the detail on which Superliners are out-of-service. I think most knew it was bad, but not that bad. A VIA-style refurb on the Santa Fe Hi-levels may have been money well spent in hindsight.

This is an interesting train - even though it is temporary.

Personally, I like the fact they are trying it. Yes - I totally understand the timekeeping implications and all the other reasons why it might be a bad idea - but in my mind they are dealing with a couple of real issues (Superliner shortages and tunnel construction) in a creative way that also allows them to kick the tires on Midwest-FL service years (or decades) before it is practical to start it up from scratch.

So this year for our winter IN-FL trip we're going to try the Floridian. It means a 2:15 minute drive to/from South Bend, but a one-seat ride with no layover and better food throughout (vs Cardinal to Star via DC w/an overnight).

Looking forward to it.

Passengers don't get reimbursed specifically for missed meals. You can get compensation for really late trains from Customer Relations, though you usually have to ask for it these days. It can involve partial refund of the accommodation charge, which could be interpreted as compensation for the missed meals.
Well, yes they do, at least on occasion. About five years ago, I was boarding the northbound Crescent at Atlanta. Back then, it was scheduled to leave Atlanta at about 8 pm, and it served dinner to Atlanta passengers shortly after departure. When it became clear that the Crescent was running very late, the station agent came out and gave sleeping car passengers cash -- $35-$40 each, as I recall -- and told them to go out and get dinner on their own. Of course, this only works in staffed stations that are near restaurants.

My understanding is supporting dining car revenue was a big part of the decision to include meals in the sleeper fares. Prior to that, many if not most sleeper passengers did not eat three meals a day in the diner, I know I didn't.
I've heard that too. It's kind of sad that the only way Amtrak can justify dining car service is by charging passengers for meals they don't want to eat.

I've heard that too. It's kind of sad that the only way Amtrak can justify dining car service is by charging passengers for meals they don't want to eat.
Or can't. As a solo traveler I am pretty much paying for two meals and getting one. Not that I want another, but still...

I do not normally eat three meals a day. I do on Amtrak, though, on principle.

Well, yes they do, at least on occasion. About five years ago, I was boarding the northbound Crescent at Atlanta. Back then, it was scheduled to leave Atlanta at about 8 pm, and it served dinner to Atlanta passengers shortly after departure. When it became clear that the Crescent was running very late, the station agent came out and gave sleeping car passengers cash -- $35-$40 each, as I recall -- and told them to go out and get dinner on their own. Of course, this only works in staffed stations that are near restaurants.
On a really late eastboubd Empire Builder at Everett (mudslide issues between Seattle and there), with dinner missed, the agent just got Subway turkey sandwiches for everyone. Like most things Amtrak, YMMV.

However, what I had in mind with my comment really was Customer Relations compensation after the fact, not real time response by station agents. That's highly variable like most things in the field at Amtrak.

Back