Pennsylvanian- Coach vs Business for a Sightseeing trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I would like to take our fathers across PA by rail, a journey she and I have done many times going back to the Amtrak Broadway Limited days. Naturally a choice of trains is now not an option, but choice of seat class is. For the leisure traveller, what if any (dis)advantages would there be in choosing business over coach for the ride? Thanks for your thoughts.

My wife and I would like to take our fathers across PA by rail, a journey she and I have done many times going back to the Amtrak Broadway Limited days. Naturally a choice of trains is now not an option, but choice of seat class is. For the leisure traveller, what if any (dis)advantages would there be in choosing business over coach for the ride? Thanks for your thoughts.
The Pennsylvanian uses a really nice type of seating for its Business Class, and at a very reasonable price given the length of time you're on the train. I rarely spring for BC but this is one train that I would do that on. So the advantages really are the nicer seats, the comp beverage, the BC car being furthest from the engine (which tends to mean less soot on the windows), and having the option to look out the back of the train if so desired.

Disadvantages - well for one, its an extra cost, but as well, the pool of available seats is much less (about 18 seats) vs. 4 coaches of 60 seats so if you're aiming to be on the South side of the train to enjoy the view through Horseshoe Curve, you selection may be limited. As well, the windows in the A-I BC car will be slightly (but not dramatically) smaller than those in the A-II coaches, which also have some very comfy seating as well, but not quite the great seats on the Club BC car which the Pennsylanian has.

For the Pennsylvanian, I would chose Business Class!

Business Class on this train uses the former Metroliner Cars featuring 2-1 seating and faux-leather seats! Which means you'll have more room and a much more comfortable ride! :)

And welcome to the forum!

Thank you Met, traveler and Lion. Your responses addressed virtually all of my questions and and an issue or two I hadn't considered. (I had hoped to sit four-across for the trip, and remembered an old business class ride I once had with 2-1 seating). Thanks again; we'll enjoy ourselves either way.

I, too, am also considering springing for business on the Pennsylvanian in August, so there is some good info here. Normally, I wouldn't go for the upgrade, but considering that it is a fairly long ride, it might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back