Pontiac IL to Fort Worth TX round trip on the Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the Pontiac IL station, waiting to board today's southbound TE. Similar to my hometown station, this is unmanned and trains barely stop for passengers. Amtrak claims the Eaglette will be 6 minutes late arriving here; we shall see. There's an interactive TE schedule online, with links to hotels and points of interest at each station, including Pontiac.
View attachment IMG_20241006_132145_402.jpg

Boarded pretty much on time. Going upstairs to the bedrooms was tricky with luggage in hand and on the back. Our SCA is Andre, and is very polite. Some new choices on the Flex Dining menu; I'm trying the Beef Paprikash tonight.
Just left Bloomington a few minutes ago; there was a brief fresh air break there (only 5 minutes, so we ordered supper instead of getting off the train).
View attachment IMG_20241006_155645_420.jpg

A little bit later at each station from Lincoln to Alton, the train made up some time between Alton and St Louis -- just in time for us to walk the length of the train to the dining car! Supper presentation was microwave entree, but high quality and imaginative. The Beef Paprikash wasn't as spicy as I had feared; we had to eat quickly, though, so we could return to our bedroom while the train was stopped. Brought dessert back with us to the room, but no coffee until morning. :( Moved our bags to the side by the bathroom and jump seat after supper, so we can access them once the beds are made up.View attachment IMG_20241006_190502_399.jpg

We found out the hard way that the hubby couldn't get into the top bunk in our bedroom, and he wouldn't let me attempt that feat either. Fortunately, the bottom bunk in our bedroom was a little bit wider than a twin bed, and the jump seat was still open, so I scrunched up at the end closest to the door, and the hubby scrunched up at the window end, with his feet on the jump seat. We slept more or less, but we'll want to pick up a couple of cheap throw blankets in Fort Worth for the overnight trip back.
Late 1 3/4 hours departing the last stop before Hope ARK, but the interactive map indicates that we're still expecting to arrive in Fort Worth on time.

The bourbon apple crepes are a new item on the breakfast menu, and quite tasty. It helps to have someone else open the cream and sugar for coffee on a rapidly moving train, while the other person holds the cup like a gimbal compass! Waiting for the next stop before we head back to our room.
View attachment IMG_20241007_064307_316.jpg

Ah now I see it.

Darn. Was hoping for more allergy friendly options as we only had two options for lunch / dinner on the TE.

Instead we're now down to a single option with the removal of the beef Burgundy. Guess it's a good thing I like Alfredo.

If I didn't need a sleeper for health reasons, I'd just save the money and do coach with mountain House meals.

Back